[10/25] How To: Ulduar

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [10/25] How To: Ulduar

Postby Panzerdin » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:04 am

Changed Kologarn, I'll do Thorim when I've got a little more time. Thanks guys.
Panzerdin

Location: On a picket line, protesting against the changes to Maintankadin

Postby neokai » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:27 am

For Kologarn, the rumble adds (52k hp each in 10 man) can be stunned and snared, so HoJ is quite nifty. You can reasonably tank up to 2 debuffs of his overhead smash (-40% armor), but the best is to just take 1 and swap out with your adds tank.
Judge a man by the trials of his shield, not the empty reaping of his sword.
My warcraftpets profile here

neokai

Postby Belloc » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:53 am

Thorim Gauntlet: 1 tank, 1 healer, 2 ranged (if raid composition allows. If you only have 2 ranged, bring one melee and one ranged). There are some abilities that do damage to people in melee range, so just read up on what the mini-bosses do and hope for the best.

The hard part of the Thorim gauntlet is dealing with the mass of adds in the arena. Make sure you have most of your melee and one ranged AOE dps in there.

And, finally, you will see lightning orbs channeling (not a cast, but you literally see a spark traveling to him) the buff to Thorim. Once it hits him, he does a cone attack to that entire side of the room. If you see that spark traveling to him, get somewhere else.
Belloc

Postby Kelaan » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:28 pm

Auriaya: this boss isn't hard in and of itself. Pulling this boss is hard, as her four adds will rape whoever does it.

Apologies if this was covered and I missed it. We learned something last night in 10-man, and it may work in 25 also. The cats at the pull do what is basically a charge. If you are out of LOS at the time, you won't get charged. Here is how we did it:

1) Raid stays out of LOS, on an UPSTAIRS section. We used the three near the teleporter that is active before you've killed her.
2) As she is approaching, drop a consecrate on someplace she will walk. Run back to the raid, and out of LOS.
3) She steps in one of the last ticks of your consecrate, and aggros on you. You then can drop a consecrate for her (and the adds) to run into.
4) You are out of LOS and won't be Pounced. When they do get IN line of sight of you, you will be within the pounce's minimum range.
5) Adds are peeled by the off-tank(s). On 10-man, I would tank one of them in addition to the boss until the first one was dead. (Damage was a bit more spikey, but seemed a bit easier on our healers. I would occasionally pop Divine Protection at this point just to make sure that my druid healer had time to get some extra healing up.

Hiccup 1: If I aggro'ed her on an Upstairs section and ran to a Downstairs section (such as near the ice tunnel or the stained glass tunnel), the cats seemed to be able to get LOS and charge me. Superstition made us decide to always pull from the star-inlaid floor section near the stained glass hallway onto the round floor section upstairs from it, towards the teleporter we prepped at. We went counterclockwise (and into the ice hallway), but you could likely easily do it clockwise as well.

Hiccup 2: If I was loaded up with HoTs, Earth Shield, and PoM-type things, one of the healers would get a BUNCH of threat when everything first walked in and hit me; I would counter this by having an avenger's shield and/or HotR primed, and a second consecrate near the corner the boss and her cats would walk around... but we decided to just NOT have any shielding/HoTs on me initially (short of my sacred shield) until the adds had secure threat. This made the initial damage on me somewhat bursty; We ran with 3 healers to help counteract this.

Tanking the cat that spawns mid-fight in a giant clump seemed to help, also, as it seems to also have a minimum range on its charge/pounce. It's stunnable, so you can wait until it's low-health, stun it, and then move everyone away so that you don't have a void zone drop under you. Once you kill the cat, if you move everyone out of LOS of him (by going to the next round stair section), he will also be less likely to charge, since he will have to path around a corner to get to you.
Kelaan

Postby Panzerdin » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:48 pm

You missed it, it's there.
Panzerdin

Postby Falibard » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:03 pm

Belloc wrote:Thorim Gauntlet: 1 tank, 1 healer, 2 ranged (if raid composition allows. If you only have 2 ranged, bring one melee and one ranged). There are some abilities that do damage to people in melee range, so just read up on what the mini-bosses do and hope for the best.

The hard part of the Thorim gauntlet is dealing with the mass of adds in the arena. Make sure you have most of your melee and one ranged AOE dps in there.

And, finally, you will see lightning orbs channeling (not a cast, but you literally see a spark traveling to him) the buff to Thorim. Once it hits him, he does a cone attack to that entire side of the room. If you see that spark traveling to him, get somewhere else.

I'll add for the arena... we had two rogues in our group and both of them using TotT + Fan of Knives was awesome for helping the tank out there keep aggro. For the gauntlet we used a fury warrior and a feral druid as the interrupts and burst damage made the trash and mini bosses drop really fast. The first time we did it we had to stop before getting to Thorim so we didn't start hard mode. (yes, our group was really melee heavy)
Falibard

Postby Kelaan » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:54 pm

Panzerdin wrote:You missed it, it's there.

Heh, so I did -- point 4, in fact; I must've read too quickly. Sorry about that.
Kelaan

Postby Seloei » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:22 pm

Panzerdin wrote:
The Descent into Madness:

General Vezax:
Until he reaches 35%, there is only one tanking role on this boss, and it's fairly simple. Normally, the boss does very little other than melee. Despite his aura of despair, your mana should be fine, even with 1/2 SA, because of his high normal damage. Ideally, you can tank the boss inside of a Shadow Crash zone, to guarantee that you will have enough mana and provide you with additional threat, but don't go dragging him halfway across the room for one. His abilities to watch for are Searing Flames, an AOE which will also fuck your armour, and Surge of Darkness, which doubles his damage for 10 seconds. Searing Flames can and should be interrupted, and you should be ready to do so in case the DPS fail to. If it is cast, then your best bet is to hit bubblewall and carry on tanking. If it happens again, then an external cooldown or a tank switch is likely to be needed. Surge of Darkness is easily dealt with by kiting the boss, since it also halves his movement speed. Just start running like hell as soon as he begins casting.

If you're tanking the add he spawns, you've also got a very simple job, because it doesn't do anything, and should be killed very quickly indeed.

It goes without saying that you should never, ever stand in a Saronite cloud while doing any of this. So don't.

The add doesnt spawn unless you decide to kill him in hardmode, and for that you have to ignore the 8 saronite crystals that spawn. He only spawns 8 crystals and they have to merge up for him to create a saronite animus. Also, 1/2 SA is not enough if you are using avoidance gear and with 2/2 SA there were times when i took 0 damage and was oom.
Also, he is immune to taunts so you can't tank swap.
Seloei

Postby Seloei » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:40 am

Panzerdin wrote:
gnis the Furnace Master:
*snip*
If you're tanking the adds, then you've got a very simple job. Pick them up, and tank them. Once you're comfortably above the healers, you can run away for a bit to reduce your damage intake if it so pleases you. If your raid decides to kill them (it isn't necessary, but it doesn't hurt the raid at all and makes Ignis less dangerous), then you need to tank them in the fire Ignis leaves behind until they gain the "Molten" buff and the run over to the water, which will cause them to be stunned. Once they get to this state, a ShoR crit should kill them nicely. If you're going to kill the constructs, kill them one at a time, because they deal 20k AOE when shattered, and shattering more than one may very well kill you (they're also fairly nasty when you have three hitting for 7k bonus fire damage with a haste buff...). There's no good reason not to kill them as they spawn, in any case. In fact, I'm non even sure why I bothered mentioning that you don't need to, it'll give you something to do.

On 25 man, if you have 3 adds up the maintank will be one shoted, you HAVE to scorch the adds and kill them in the magma. On 10 man you can ignore it and zerg it.

Panzerdin wrote:
Mimiron:
*snip*
In his first phase, Mimiron will drive a tank, which comes complete with a host of unpleasant explosive abilities to make your life hell. The first of these, Napalm shell, deals AOE damage and leaves a DoT effect on the ground.
*snip*
he boss also has two other abilites: a 3-yard radius targeted AOE that kills everything it hits (it deals over 15,000,000 damage, so don't even think about standing in it) and a 4-second cast that kills everything in a 15-yard radius (notice a common theme here?).
*snip*
When the third phase comes around, you will be given a reprieve from tanking the boss, in favour of a ranged class. Instead, you will have to tank the Junk Bots which are spawned (don't try and tank either of the other bots, as the Bomb bots will simply explode and the Assault bots hit for more than you can reasonably survive, and so need to be kited).

The dot from mimiron is not a patch on the ground, it's a dot on you standing still is perfectly ok and i've gotten hit by it on 25 man while moving back in. The 4 second cast aoe is a 100k aoe on 25 man, as big as a radius as his mines are, run out or DS it. you SHOULD be taunting the boombots to blow them up near you instead of letting them walk into the raid and blowing someone up. Also, since all ranged dps is on the assault bots, you can ramp up threat with judgement/exorcism on the boss, however a ranged tank is far better for this.
phase4 has been 'fixed' he wont cast the shock + barrage combo anymore

Panzerdin wrote:Hodir:
When he starts to cast biting cold, drop everything and get on top of an icicle. Once this happens, step back and let your FR tank do it until Frozen Blows wears off, at which point you should taunt him back. If you ARE the FR tank, then you can do some lolprot DPS until flash freezes before taunting off the main tank. Tanking him during Frozen Blows is essentially the same as the rest of the time, just make sure you get the transitions right.

He does not do frozen blows after flash freeze, he casts it randomly and you can and will be one shoted if he does it if you are not in frost resist gear. Just have your frost resist tank tank him full time and the other tanks go dps instead.

Thorim:

You should send half of your raid into the gauntlet, on 25 man we had me + 2 healers, and all the ranged inside and 4 tanks + melee outside. Outside you should spread out a bit, because his chain lightning jumps and becomes bigger after each jump. Stay together at start but once the adds are out, spread.

Gauntlet : The first two packs have a mob that does an aoe-whirlwind/stun and a healer. Focus down the healer and don't let the ranged come near you. The first miniboss does a "charged fist" similar to felmyst or the second-last boss in UP which you should avoid while going in the path. The miniboss does nothing substantial, just charges around and puts up a 50% damage reduction shield on him. The second trash is a constant respawning combo of a warrior + healer, kill the healer and move up and pull the boss ASAP or you will get overwhelmed, unless you have enough dps. Be warned that the warrior mobs can stun you for 3s and they gain +100% damage/health when you pull the boss while they are up. He will also cast a rune on a random person that blows up anyone near them, move away from them.
Outside : Wasn't outside, but from what i heard on vent they didn't let any tank get more than 2 big guys at the same time and burned them all down. Focus on the warbringers then the whirlwinders then the rest.
Thorim : Simple tank and spank, unless you triggered hardmode. Taunt off the next tank if he gets unbalancing strike, make a rotation if you have more than two tanks. Try not to get hit by the Lightning balls coming from up to him.

Panzerdin wrote:Freya:
*snip*
Snaplasher/Storm Lasher/Ancient Water Spirit: All need to die simultaneously. The Snaplasher gains a stacking buff that doubles its damage, but does nothing but melee. The Storm Lasher does a couple of AOEs, which you should interrupt if needed and able to, while the Water Spirit will charge random raid members and knock them back.

The snaplasher WILL one shot any tank if his stacks get higher than 50. The key is to have focused ranged on him get him to 30-40 stacks, then switch to a new target, stacks fall off, repeat. Once the water / storm are at 10% life burn the hell out of the snaplasher and take the other 2 to 5%. Stun/slow the snaplasher and the tank runs away from it. Finish them at the same time or they respawn

You forgot to mention that she also spawns "Gift of Eonias" or something, after she does a warning "Lifebinders gift is growing" those have to be burned down before they finish maturing or everything gets healed for 25% max health or more.
Also, P2 starts after shes spawned 5 sets of adds. in P2 avoid the green things growing on the ground because they blow up for a hell of a lot, that phase is a lot of moving around.
Panzerdin wrote:
General Vezax:
Until he reaches 35%, there is only one tanking role on this boss, and it's fairly simple. *snip*
If you're tanking the add he spawns, you've also got a very simple job, because it doesn't do anything, and should be killed very quickly indeed.

It goes without saying that you should never, ever stand in a Saronite cloud while doing any of this. So don't.

The add doesnt spawn unless you decide to kill him in hardmode, and for that you have to ignore the 8 saronite crystals that spawn. He only spawns 8 crystals and they have to merge up for him to create a saronite animus. Also, 1/2 SA is not enough if you are using avoidance gear and with 2/2 SA there were times when i took 0 damage and was oom.
Also, he is immune to taunts so you can't tank swap.

edit: added corrections to the other bosses, maybe i missed some still
Seloei

Postby discerpo » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:55 am

Kelaan wrote:
Auriaya: this boss isn't hard in and of itself. Pulling this boss is hard, as her four adds will rape whoever does it.

Apologies if this was covered and I missed it. We learned something last night in 10-man, and it may work in 25 also. The cats at the pull do what is basically a charge. If you are out of LOS at the time, you won't get charged. Here is how we did it:

1) Raid stays out of LOS, on an UPSTAIRS section. We used the three near the teleporter that is active before you've killed her.
2) As she is approaching, drop a consecrate on someplace she will walk. Run back to the raid, and out of LOS.
3) She steps in one of the last ticks of your consecrate, and aggros on you. You then can drop a consecrate for her (and the adds) to run into.
4) You are out of LOS and won't be Pounced. When they do get IN line of sight of you, you will be within the pounce's minimum range.
5) Adds are peeled by the off-tank(s). On 10-man, I would tank one of them in addition to the boss until the first one was dead. (Damage was a bit more spikey, but seemed a bit easier on our healers. I would occasionally pop Divine Protection at this point just to make sure that my druid healer had time to get some extra healing up.

Having a DK throw his D&D just before she comes down is pretty easy too. Thats how we do it our raid and pali mt is los i drop D&D the run over and ot the adds. Then just los the cat every time its about to spawn and we have enough aoe for the little cats to not even worry about it, we find staying grouped up makes it easier as well.
Discerpo-Unholy/Blood Troll DK
Horde-Gorefiend

Vindicated wrote: The hell? this is the internet, where I've been over 18 since I was 12.
discerpo

Postby Panzerdin » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:01 am

OK, I'll sort this lot out.
Panzerdin

Postby Panzerdin » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:10 am

Fixt.
Panzerdin

Postby Seloei » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:42 pm

Scratch that comment what i said about ignis. We just did it with a major lag fest and had 6 adds up. THEN he started hiting like vezax on 25 man. You can just burst the boss down with a decent offtank who can just tank the adds instead.
Pre-nerf you had to kill adds now however...

actually, now all of the bosses we did were a joke on 25 man, post-nerf, killing bosses with 20s lag before an ability goes off in 25 man ulduar... right... is this naxx 2.0?
Seloei

Postby Passionario » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:32 am

Seloei wrote:right... is this naxx 2.0?

As my Frenzyheart comrades would say:

"We just made a great new discovery! Easy mode is easy, hard mode is hard."
If you are not the flame, you're the fuel.
Passionario

Postby Seloei » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:41 am

hard modes are meant to be hard yes, but didn't they say they are going to make ulduar a lot harder compared to naxx? Normal mode pre-major-nerf was hard, but not THAT hard. Some of the bugs should've been fixed, but meh.
Kologarns grip requiring half the dps than before.
Razorscale adds doing almost 0 damage.
Aurayia pounce reduced by half (had 4 jump me with shieldwall up and was left at 40% or smth).
Ignis melee damage halved if not more, not to mention his health.
Deconstructor was a needed bug fix tho, but now by burning his heart and having mages/boomkins/eleshamans near the melee you can just burn the boss down from 75->0% without him even exiting heartmode.
Seloei

PreviousNext

Return to T8: Ulduar / Emalon