The Auraiya pull

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: The Auraiya pull

Postby Winchester » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:54 am

Equitas wrote:
I got healed through 3 cats hitting on me until the other tank responded to take his with exo/taunt.
I had wings, Pain suppression and Bubblewall up aswell as a retribution paladin with Bubble and Sacrifice/guardian 2 min talent shit.

Dmg was easy healable :) and makes the pull alot easier. And btw you need to react faster, if you have 4 cats on you the pull went wrong its that simple. It takes a while to get it right, we send our MT1 (warri) to the front while me and my prot buddy exo/taunt them. Tank them and done :)

Its really all about execution.

That's what made the tactic we adapted so useful, cause the one that gets aggro is a healer that's out of line of sight in the back.
Which makes picking everything up while the mobs run towards their target really easy.
That way only each of the tanks gets a pounce from a unbuffed normal kitty which is easily healable.
Seal of Posting
220 Mana
Instant Cast
Fills the paladin with the urge to troll, granting each post a chance of luls.
Only one seal can be active on the paladin at any one time.

Unleashing this seal will bump your thread.
Winchester
Maintankadonor

Postby inthedrops » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:14 am

Savage Pounce has a range of 8 - 30 yards according to wowhead. If you're closer than 8 yards they can't pounce. Although when I said "compeltely" avoid it might still happen on occasion due to timing. Before the pull the entire raid except for a hunter hides behind a wall. The hunter lays a trap and runs back to LoS with the rest of the raid. Each tank has their own target or targets, depending. The tanks still blow shield wall, etc. in case one does get pounced. When the sentry gets close tanks start spamming taunt on their target so that the moment it's around the corner they will have agro. The trick is that the moment the sentry's turn the corner they are already at about 8 yards from the raid so they can't pounce because they're too close to do so. Tanks then immediately spread the adds apart so that we don't get owned by the stacking buff they have.

Here's a crude drawing based on my mental memory of the fight location.
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby PsiVen » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:35 pm

The above post describes what we do now, except you can also use:

- A totem/racecar to aggro, with a healer topping off a lifetapped warlock to draw aggro allowing tanks to run out into the open to pick up targets
- A paladin tank to drop consecration and then run out of LoS before they walk through it to aggro
- A deathknight tank to drop DnD and then run out of LoS before they walk through it to aggro (what we did last time)

The key is that the panthers' targets are out of LoS so that they cannot pounce. They won't pounce anyone else, so if you can control their aggro on the pull, you've got it. Splitting the cats around the tanks is simply a matter of picking up your targets / using misdirects.

It is also possible, if not recommended, to pull by stacking hilarious amounts of cooldowns on the MT and having him take 4 pounces in the face. The OTs need to be quick about picking up their targets or healers will draw aggro and get pounced.

For those who beat this on 25-man, you will find the 10-man relatively easy on hard mode. OT both cats together away from the boss, and have both tanks chain-taunt the defender when it comes out. You'll want three healers as they will be continually interrupted and the OT will be getting wrecked.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Kihra » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:34 am

We also pulled and completely avoided the pounces. We actually fought Auriaya in Hodir's room, since that also gets her away from the buggy respawning cats. (We pull her down the hall and into the room via the door that opens after Hodir is dead.)

A hunter just drops a trap in her path to aggro, and then all the 4 tanks cluster up on the hunter around the corner. By the time the cats get within LOS of everyone they are too close to be able to pounce. Each tank grabs his cat, shield walls and then moves away to separate positions.
Last edited by Kihra on Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kihra

Postby Aldonza » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:19 am

We ended up making this easy by 5 tanking this fight. We had our boomkin and DK swap to tank specs, and the DK runs down and drops D&D right in front of where the boss is going to path. He hides with the boomkin/feral tank in the main raid. The normal feral tank and myself hide on the other side out of LOS. We all pop cooldowns and spam taunt as soon as the cats are LOS. The raid kills the first two adds, then the feral tank adds, and then mine.

Stupid easy after that though. The DK and I had fun playing DG/HoJ on the Feral Defenders right before they died. We had very nice void zone placements courtesy of that.
Aldonza
Maintankadonor

Postby inthedrops » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:27 am

current patched looks like they decreased pounce damage. That should help.
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby Chunes » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:15 am

Last night we simply had the entire raid clump out of LoS, used the DnD pull and we divided the 4 cats up amongst our 3 off tanks (Me, Druid, DK).

DPS who were too eager to kill the cats usually died, so we had our DPS be extra careful.

Cooldowns were blown for the tanks, shieldwalls/trinks etc, disc priest was preshielding one tank and utilizing PS on another.

Eventually we got to the point where the cats were dead by the first fear and we were all alive.

If people die on the pull it's due to tanks not having a sufficient threat lead and dps overagroing.
Chunes

Postby Greengo » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:51 am

Bubble-wall + Salvation with Glyph + Sacrifice ( with or w/o DS&DG) + Guardian Spirit + Pain Suppression + PW:S + Greater Ward of Shielding + Nightmare Seed.
All adds pouncing MT, then OTanks taunts.
Easy pull.
Greengo

Postby nebulas » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:17 am

Notorius101 wrote:
Ahms wrote:not sure how effective this would be in 25 man, but for 10 man one of our engies dropped a flame turret where she paths and then we hid behind the corner. she aggrod on turret and killed it and then they all just walked over to us behind the corner to the engy who just happened to also be our OT

This sounds like the Consecrate tactic, just drop the consecrate they walk into it, but you are LOS so they just walk over to you, each tank grab their targets. Basically the same thing but with a turret :D

See engineers and you guys said you had nothing of use :P

My team killed her very quickly last night b/c the consecrate pull method was so easy!

we just got her timing down, i ran out there right before she got in range (aspect of the cheata helped speed) layed down an aoe and ran back around the corner. The adds and the boss come nice and slow and the OT picked them up fast and off we went to a kill. I really recommend this method as it keeps the fight under tight control.
Nebulas, Silver Hand, Alliance.
The Knights of Justice
nebulas

Postby Pelendralaar » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:22 pm

We do completely differently, it takes a bit of time to set up but it works well for us. Picture time!

Pelendralaar

Postby PsiVen » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:51 pm

Is that the room before Vezax that you're pulling her to? I didn't realize you could skip her entirely.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Pelendralaar » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:21 pm

Yes, that's the room that leads to General. It is empty prior to the 4 guardians getting beat, so dont have to clear any trash in there.

I think there are four 'optional' bosses. Auraiya, Ignis, Iron council and Razorscale.
Pelendralaar

Postby Suplicium » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:25 pm

We had a hard time to sort this pull but at the end we kind of nailed it down. We used 3 tanks, a warrior on the boss, a feral on 2 adds and me on the other two adds. After you clear the trash on a side we had all the raid except one of the two add tanks hides behind the staircase pillar/edge on the inner side of the platform. Wait for the boss to approach and time a distract in order to separate two adds from the rest. These two will then be misdirected to the far Ot. When this happens the non misdirected adds will bunch up making it extremely easy to pick them up with an avenger shield while they get to the top of the stairs and before they have range to jump on the feral. At the same time the MT hits the boss and places her in position, in the middle of the round platform. We then burn my adds, I taunt the feral's adds, we burn them too and then we focus on boss.
Suplicium

Postby Serelynn » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:14 am

How far apart do the adds have to be to reduce the stacking damage buff they have? I know the minimum pounce range is 8 yards, is that more than the range of their buff?
Serelynn

Postby Dem » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:19 am

1. DK OT(could be Pally) lays AOE at the circle where she turns round just before they arrive. This tank has aggro on all mobs. They stand top of the stairs to the right out of LOS. All mobs run that way.

2. Other OT is standing top of stairs near the middle but a bit closer to the raid who are in the alcove. Bubble wall to be safe. As the cats hit the top of the stairs single taunt on first of their mobs. within pounce range, doesnt get pounced. Hunter MD's their other add to them. OT moves back to the raid to keep cats separated with two mobs aggroed.

3. MT positioned with the DK taunts boss off and positions facing the raid.

4. DK already has aggro on remaining cats, can taunt, be MDd etc., moves to position.

5. Optional - first OT should consider taunting one of the remaining cats once their two mobs are down and the stacking debuff has dropped off to reduce the pressure on the other OT who will have fairly high stacks.

This pull has been successful every time since we worked it out.
Dem

PreviousNext

Return to T8: Ulduar / Emalon