Razorscale[10]

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Razorscale[10]

Postby Brutalicus » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:36 pm

Our first few attempts, we basically did the standard 3-healer 2-tank setup, but our dps wasn't up to par. Unless this boss is overtuned or bugged, letting her take off after the second grounding means a wipe. There is a fairly steep enrage (No mods active for me, so I don't really know how long) that we hit until we specced our other tank to dps. On our first attempt using this method, we wiped with under 100k health left on the boss. *EDIT* it was actually like 40k health. 5% :'(

ADDS: Our strategy was to let the dwarf NPC's tank the small adds and I would put my priority on the large, iron Vrykul adds. These mobs WILL kill any non-tank that gets hit with their melee. We ranged-killed these mobs then I pulled the small adds off the NPCs to be killed.

DRAGON: Razorscale lands after two harpoons are lodged in her (4 on Heroic, I believe). From the PTR video I watched, ranged DPS should be able to hurt her once she is pulled closer to the ground. Our attempts yielded NO such opportunity, and our only time DPSing the boss was when she was grounded. We blew BL on the first grounding and burned her down about 30%. On the second grounding, she passed 50%, marking the beginning of phase 2.
-->PHASE 2: This phase is stunningly easy, if a bit reminiscent of Illidan Flame-tanking. I weave the boss to the side to avoid incoming Devouring Flames. The ONLY (and I must stress, the ONLY) reason we wiped on this attempt was because I took a stun called "Fused Armor." This bullshit stunned me for about 20 seconds, and our hunter masterfully kited the boss (a bunch of people died anyway).

The basic strategy of the boss is to kill the adds as fast as possible--even delay shooting that second harpoon if it means killing a Vrykul add. Then your DPS must be on Razorscale the *instant* she becomes hurtable. Your DPS and heals MUST spread out because Fireballs and Devouring Flames are cast on the raid during flight phases, in addition to Chain Lightning (which appears to have a near-infinite range, pleasantly). Taking one AoE after another pretty much spelled death to anyone but the tank in our attempts.

Overall, this is a pretty hard (challenging, fun) fight. Has anyone else experienced any of these problems, such as the boss not lowering into casting range and this "Fused Armor" debuff? Sorry for the wallotext, I hope I've covered everything adequately for curious raiders.
Brutalicus, Garona (Horde) Tankadin
Brutalicus

Re: Razorscale[10]

Postby kram » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:14 am

We didnt really have any problems with it in both 10 and 25man.
10 man 2tanks/2healers me and another tank just picked up all trash as it spawned (at most 3-6 adds at a time) range focused on the guys that hit harder and WW and melee worked on the caster then other add. Once razorscale lands I would steal our warriors mobs (if any) and offtank them so he could get a sunder stack on the boss. Used bloodlust on first landing and it went back up in the air around 65% next landing finished off adds and tanked the boss once it was p2. We swapped after two stacks of the debuff(dont recall the name, not flame buffet the other one) although we only went through 5 applications across two tanks of it.
kram

Postby Lightbeard » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:58 am

Yeah you nee geared dps to do her properly
Lightbeard

Postby djlar » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:57 am

Chain lighting is interruptable, OK rogues, talent your throwing spec 2/2 for 100% interrupt with FoK of chain lighting...

The Vyrkull adds are a nightmare, they seem to cleav and also whirlwind, a single whirl could mean a wipe since their range it's high..
djlar

Postby Huon » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:15 am

Just went last night, yay for the only non bugged boss right?

One shotted, but we had 2 tanks, 2 healers and 6 dps. and from what I saw on my side, I only got 1 vykrul add, and he didnt seem to kill many people.

simple tank and spank with adds!
Huon

Postby Splug » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:20 am

She stacks a debuff on the tank which reduces movement speed by 20% per application, 30 second effect. At 5 applications your armor fuses shut and you are stunned for 30 seconds. She is tauntable. The solution seems to be either to have the offtank taunt after X debuffs, or have the offtank take over when the main tank gets stunned. Getting stunned inside a devouring fire pit does suck, but at that point you're effectively done for the encounter either way (she should be dead before the 30 second stun ends).

This encounter is best handled with two tanks for that reason.

-Splug
Active raid character: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... an&n=Spyte
255 characters is not enough to fit my alts' armories in.
Splug
Maintankadonor

Postby Brutalicus » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:29 am

Cool it sounds like you guys went about it in a much better way than my guild did. Next time I think I'll have my druid spec over to Feral to do some damage while leaving the warrior as a tank. Other than that, the issue with our DPSers was more of competence than gear... I'll admit we still have a couple fire-standers in our guild, but hey it happens to everyone sometimes.
Brutalicus

Postby Funtodin » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:25 pm

We did it with this comp:
tank: warrior/pally
healers: resto druid/disc priest/holy pally
dps: dk/rogue/ret pally + ele shammy/mage

I tanked right side, warrior tanking left side. We split the dps apart to avoid the mass AoE dmg.
He got down to 51% before flying back up the 2nd ground phase then dots/ranged brought him back to the floor again as he tried to escape us :twisted:
In 2nd phase I don't know if it's possible to single tank it with that debuff. We had a tank switch at rougly 20% when I got frozen.
He died like 5 secs after I came back to life.

With 5 dps they need to be very sharp it seems, and count with some decent tank damage during that lust ground phase as well.
Funtodin

Postby Petrus » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:27 pm

I'm mostly curious about HOW the adds spawn. Sometimes we had no Sentinels (the big dudes) and sometimes we'd get them every time a new group spawned.

Priority-wise, I'd say the Rune Watchers (chain lightning guys) have to die first, followed by the Sentinels and then the Rune Guardians (just have to cleanse that stormstrike debuff). Didn't try getting the breath to kill any because I was solotanking it and was worrying about other things. Didn't seem too hard with properly geared dps, just had to be on top of killing adds.

Also have to remember to taunt when Razorscale lands, because she doesn't wipe threat.
Petrus
Maintankadonor

Postby Legatø » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:44 pm

I know this is about Razorscale on 10 but the guild was having a few problems on 25 and I didn't want to clog the boards with another thread. Similar topic, so its ok right?

Alright, so just a few things, we only got a few attempts on her due to the instance crashing shortly after we got Flame Lav down.

1. Dps wasn't exactly the strongest, but is it more impotent to get her to the ground, or save BL/Heroism for when she lands.
2. Flame Breaths seem to take me out quite quickly, is it just a health thing or is it something else.

Additionally I'd like know about this Fused Armor thing...I never noticed it on the 25 difficulty. Ah well...things are so screwy right now I'm not sure anything is the way it's supposed to be.
Slightly insane, and not prepared Guild Leader of Dragonblight's Hope Rides Alone 10 man Guild

80 Blood Elf paladin. Enjoys long walks on the beach, sunsets, and smashing people's faces in with a large piece of shiny metal.
Legatø

Location: Pennsyltucky. That part of the state that is Arkansas between Philli and Harisburg.

Postby Brutalicus » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:55 pm

Time isn't as much of a constraint now
The enrage time for the Razorscale encounter has been increased to 10 minutes.
(Quote from Bornakk)

But yeah you'll only get Fused Armor if you attempt to single-tank it or if your offtank doesn't taunt off you. And I believe the breath is a health thing. I dunno, I haven't done it on 25 yet.
Brutalicus

Postby dmok » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:42 am

So there are 10-15 of us in my guild that have decided to go into Ulduar "blind" (aka no reading strats, nothing on any fight) and just learn it as we go.

Well last night we went back to Razorscale for our second night of attempts on him and brought in some .. not great at dodging the flames patches people out of necessity. This is where we discovered something which could help make this part trivial for other people.

If you look at the floor, there is a "ring" on the ground. During his first flight phase, he will hover centered above it. As long as someone is inside the circle, he will only cast the flame patches as people within the circle. For us, we just left a hunter in there who dodged them and let the rest of the raid worry about the adds over anything else.

In the second ground phase, he moves. Simply have your version of our hunter go and stand underneath him and continue to dodge flame patches while everyone else worries about only the adds while maintaining a distance away from Razorscale larger than the radius of the circle in the middle of the room.

I know this is hard to describe, but hopefully someone understands what I am talking about.
There ain't no pirate like a Mead Hall Pirate

Mead Hall Pirates - The Scryers US
Dmor: 80 Prot Paladin | Dmok: 80 MM Hunter | Dmos: 80 Disc Priest | Dmoz: 80 Unholy DK
dmok

Postby Panzerdin » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:58 am

Al right if I steal that for my How To?
Panzerdin

Location: On a picket line, protesting against the changes to Maintankadin

Postby dmok » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:25 am

Panzerdin wrote:Al right if I steal that for my How To?

If you are referring to me, go right ahead.

If not, I cannot vouch for the creator of this thread.
There ain't no pirate like a Mead Hall Pirate

Mead Hall Pirates - The Scryers US
Dmor: 80 Prot Paladin | Dmok: 80 MM Hunter | Dmos: 80 Disc Priest | Dmoz: 80 Unholy DK
dmok

Postby Panzerdin » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:26 am

Meant you :D
Panzerdin

Location: On a picket line, protesting against the changes to Maintankadin

Next

Return to T8: Ulduar / Emalon