Remove Advertisements

[10 but also 25] Flame Leviathan Hard Mode

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[10 but also 25] Flame Leviathan Hard Mode

Postby Maridian » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:27 am

From what I can tell searching Wowwiki and various strategy sites, the method for activating (or, strictly speaking, NOT activating) hard mode either changed during PTR testing or was never clear.

That being the case, I'd appreciate it if someone could update us (me!) when the actual mechanic on live is determined -- does destroying the towers activate hard mode or does leaving them up?

(In my mind, I can't see how destroying the towers would be the proper way to activate hard mode, because how do you undo that short of disbanding the entire raid and restarting? Nor does it really make sense in context. But yet 75% of the sites I visited indicate that it's the way to do it...)
"Our only hope is revolution. I'll put up a sign-up sheet. We need one person to bring pitchforks, one person to bring torches.... am I thinking of revolution, or killing Frankenstein monsters?"
Maridian

Re: [10 but also 25] Flame Leviathan Hard Mode

Postby mconeone » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:18 am

Leaving them up activates it. On a side note, why bother with hard modes now? Unless you're in a hardcore guild working towards a server first you're better off skating through normal modes until your first clear.

Are there any hard modes out there that aren't very hard?
mconeone

Postby Maridian » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:37 pm

We don't intend to bother with hard modes, that's why I wanted it clarified. The last thing I wanted is for us to destroy all the towers, as seems sensible, only to discover that doing so actually activated the hard mode.

As I said, the last time I checked, about three-quarters of the guides linked from wowwiki indicated that destroying the towers *activated* hard mode. Better I ask and look foolish than not ask and wipe the raid. :)
"Our only hope is revolution. I'll put up a sign-up sheet. We need one person to bring pitchforks, one person to bring torches.... am I thinking of revolution, or killing Frankenstein monsters?"
Maridian

Postby Mex » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:43 pm

I've heard conflicting reports on the ease of the hard-mode (which is killing FL without towers up). Some have said that it's easy, others have said that it's not really possible without a raid decked in a high average iLvL gear than what's available at the moment.

In any event, not killing the turrets means you'll be taking more damage, you'll have less time to kill him before he starts massacring your steam tanks, and you'll need to do more damage in order to kill him.

Regarding "easy" hard-modes, XT-002 Deconstructor, Flame Leviathan, and perhaps Thorim (only cause I don't know what it is) seem to be some of the easier ones. Mimiron's seems to be almost purely execution based, so potentially doable week 1. Hodir, Vezax, Freya, Iron Council however all look very challenging.
Mex

Postby Worldie » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:51 pm

Mex wrote:Thorim (only cause I don't know what it is)

Thorim hard mode consists in getting him in the arena in only 3 minutes rather than 5, and fighting him with 25% more HP and damage done.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Belloc » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:35 pm

Mex wrote:I've heard conflicting reports on the ease of the hard-mode (which is killing FL without towers up). Some have said that it's easy, others have said that it's not really possible without a raid decked in a high average iLvL gear than what's available at the moment.

In any event, not killing the turrets means you'll be taking more damage, you'll have less time to kill him before he starts massacring your steam tanks, and you'll need to do more damage in order to kill him.

Regarding "easy" hard-modes, XT-002 Deconstructor, Flame Leviathan, and perhaps Thorim (only cause I don't know what it is) seem to be some of the easier ones. Mimiron's seems to be almost purely execution based, so potentially doable week 1. Hodir, Vezax, Freya, Iron Council however all look very challenging.

Leaving towers up engages hard mode Flame Leviathan. I say this having killed him after destroying all towers.
Belloc

Postby Lightbeard » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:50 pm

Leaving the towers up is easy mode

Killing a tower envokes him with extra abilities

We downed him tonight with all 4 towers up it was easy mode

You can tell if it is hard mode because these beams of light come down u have to avoid
Lightbeard

Postby Teneb » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:31 am

We did 10man 2 towers up, fire and lightning. Was very easy once the catapults stopped launching people straight into the ground. These seemed to be the easiest for us to handle, just dodge the beams, ad if you get hit by one, it's survivable. Average ilvl seems rather irrelevant at least for 2 towers up since he's only active a bit more than half the fight and stunned during the other 40%. DPS/HP was a non issue as far as we can tell. Unlike some of the posted things on other sites he will fixate on both tanks and demolishers. Just have the tanks hug his ass to interrupt on 10 man and you'll be fine.
Teneb

Postby kram » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:19 am

It depends on which npc you use to start the fight. Starting from Brann automatically sets it to normal/easy mode and you can leave the towers up. Talking to the other guy (i dont recall his name, hes basically in the middle of the first room straight down from where you zone in) enables hard mode and you have to kill any towers you want to deactivate(making the fight easier).
kram

Postby Eroslight » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:57 am

Kram has the correct method.

The Iron dude at the very beginning will activate hard mode - allowing you to choose which 4 towers you would like to leave up. Not talking to him (aka talking to brann first deactivates all of the towers meaning you don't need to kill them).

There are 4:
Tower of Frost, Tower of Life, Tower of Flame and Tower of something that starts with a K, but activates lightning (Thorim's Tower).

Tower of Frost left up has a blue light that paths around the area. If you drive in it you get put into a frost trap. While I am still slightly uncertain as to how you get out of the frost trap, I was released from mine by having a chopper put tar down onto of me and having it set on fire. You can avoid them with relative ease compared to the others BUT they will path to a point, then pick another direction and go that way, so don't follow them too close as they will turn on a dime!

Tower of Life: Spawns giant Lasher adds - I'm not sure if you have to drive over them to spawn them or what (it's a hectic fight.)

Tower of Flame: Basically the opposite of the Tower of Frost except you're on fire.

Tower of Lightning: This is the only one I didn't get to adequately observe so I can't really speak to its mechanics.

As for the Strat:

The KEY to this fight is the stunning at proper times. My 10 man group was doing it on hard mode (thinking it was easy mode) until we noticed the things on the ground. We figured it out towards the end but ran short of time and just killed him with 0 towers.

So yeah - practice throwing people before, as well as making sure they know to kill the cores and then yell for a pick up.
Eroslight

Postby Rojhaz » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:16 am

Mex wrote:Regarding "easy" hard-modes, XT-002 Deconstructor...
When we were trying Deconstructor last night, both groups of adds would aggro when a Pummeler spawned near one group. They would then stack the sawblades up to about 30 stacks and bleed everyone to death. If both groups come at the same time for hard mode, and assuming they're not bugged currently with the sawblade stacking, this is definitely not an easy hard-mode. Disclaimer: I hadn't done the fight before last night so there may be something we were missing.

25 man Flame Leviathan drive-up kill was pretty loltastic though.
Rojhaz

Postby Falibard » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:32 am

Rojhaz wrote:25 man Flame Leviathan drive-up kill was pretty loltastic though.

10 man was too. We burned him down so fast we never even launched anyone on to him. He died and we were like "lol achievement?"
Falibard

Postby Taragon » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:25 am

\o/ spent 4+hours getting the achievement for it last night for 4 towers left up in 25. (Unfortunately I released at 30% and didn't get the achievement, although i got Titanguard from it. ><)

The total list of Buffs/debuffs were

100% more health (25% pew tower)
50% more fire damage done (Tower of flame)
10% less fire damage taken (not sure)
20% slower snare to vehicles (Tower of frost)

Besides those buffs/debuffs there are also things that spawn during the fight

Tower of flame: Random Flame walls which do damage if you get close along with covering 1/4 the fighting area with a fire aoe (Believe it's based on corners)

Tower of Freya: continual spawn of lashers that melee for around 2k that need to be kited/killed. Also spawns big lashers that melee for 20k(not sure if that's correct on the damage from big lashers).

Tower of Frost: Lights that move around a the room chasing each vehicle. If a locks on a vehicle and gets close, it will stop, then fire a frost blast type attack that freezes any vehicles that are close and makes them take a metric ton of damage per second(might be % based). Fire damage breaks the frost tomb.

Tower of XXXX: Another color light that is stationary and drops a 300k damage aoe after a few seconds

(as a basis of comparison most of our bikes had 730-740k hp, Demolishers had around 880k and siege engines had around 1.6 mil.)
Last edited by Taragon on Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Taragon - Ex-Maintankadin of Insomnia

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... &n=Taragon
Taragon

Postby Rasmfrackn » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:28 pm

Is there any different loot result for 1-4 towers left up? Is hardmode is hardmode is hardmode, or does it vary by how many towers you leave?
Rasmfrackn
Dwarf Paladin
Icecrown Server
Eng/Scribe/Masochist
Rasmfrackn

Postby Taragon » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:52 pm

I believe that hardmode is sarth style in which you get a higher item level drop/ more drops with more towers up.

We got

Titanguard (ilevel 232) slightly higher than normal ulduar drops
Golden Saronite Dragon (ilevel 239) highest known item level rank in ulduar
Embrace of the Leviathan (ilevel 226) Standard
Strength of the Automaton (ilevel 226) Standard

So maybe, 1 tower = 1 extra 226 piece
2 towers = upgrades a 226 piece 232 piece
3 towers = 1 extra 232 piece
4 towers = upgrades the 232 piece to a 239

Just a guess.

Edit Video out, FL25+4 towers http://files.filefront.com/Insomnia+Orb ... einfo.html
Don't watch if you want to develop your own strategy (video includes vent).
Taragon - Ex-Maintankadin of Insomnia

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... &n=Taragon
Taragon

Next

Return to T8: Ulduar / Emalon