Remove Advertisements

How many tanks for Ulduar?

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: How many tanks for Ulduar?

Postby Mex » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:54 am

As far as I'm aware the tanking requirements are as follows ...

Flame Leviathan - None, vehicles
Ignis - 2-3, one main and one or two on adds
Razorscale - 1?
Deconstructor - 1, maybe an extra for the adds
Iron Council - 3, one per boss
Kologarn - 2, rotating on boss
Auriaya - 2, one on the cat one on the boss, maybe a third for add zerg
Mimiron - 1-2, plus a ranged tank, one for P1, one or two for P2 adds
Freya - 2, 3 or maybe even 4 on hard mode, one on boss, one on adds, one or more on elders
Thorim - 2, one in the arena, one in the corridors, maybe a second in the corridors.
Hodir - 1
Vezax - 1
Algalon - Unknown
Yogg-Saron - Unknown

If you're going in with a balanced raid group, you'll need at least 3 people capable of tanking, and will use at least 2 of those for most fights. Same as Naxx really.
Mex

Postby Jasari » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:09 am

Has anyone done Iron Council or Freya will look in 10man?

I'm curious if they still require 3 tanks or if you can manage with 2.
Jasari

Postby Karnah » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:41 pm

It would be difficult but i imagine possible to use 2 tanks for freya, for normal mode atleast, since she herself doesnt hit aaaallll that hard.

Iron Council was never given to us, but seeing as there are 3 bosses i would assume that you would need 3 tanks regardless. Then again, does the caster mob really need a tank i wonder? I havent particularly read into Iron Council yet!
Karnah

Postby Mex » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:21 am

One of the Iron Councillors is stunnable, and I think his damage is mostly magical? You could probably tank him with a non-tank in 10 man. I'm assuming that they'll do something in order to make him require a tank in 25 man, but be tankable by a rogue or hunter or something in 10. I can't see them forcing 3 tank-specced classes on a non-hardmode 10 man encounter.
Mex

Postby sanctifico » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:07 pm

Worldie wrote:Basically 3 tanks is the idea.

The how you handle it (3 main tanks, 1 main tanks with 2 tanks with dps second spec) will depend on your guild.

I think we're going with 3 tanks , all with DPS offspec.

Yup, we are, Rep confirmed it in one of his epic posts.

3/6 Sunwell Pre-Nerf.
sanctifico

Postby Palapio » Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:27 am

Hi all,
I think the best way to deal Ulduar will be with 3 tanks as usual (a lot of posts conrifm that). Beside that I think that in an ideal raid group 4 tanks will be perfect, the incoming dual-spec will open new frontier about that.
Already now, in Naxx25, during the Sapphiron fight I use my healing gear to help the healers, during Ulduar will be possible to use few Tank/DPS, Tank/Helaer so it's not a big problem how many tanks should be in the raid group.

Anyway I say 3!!! :lol:
Palapio

Postby Wibu » Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:18 am

This is from my 25 man experiences on the EU and from watching US streams...

Flame Leviathan - None, vehicles
Ignis - 2
Razorscale - 2 (He does a stacking debuff which makes the tank immobile which is which you can't dispel, you'll also want at least 2 for the add phase (3 makes it cake, 2 tanks have to run around a lot).
Deconstructor - 2 makes it easier.
Iron Council - 3.
Kologarn - No idea.
Auriaya - We went for 3, 1 on the boss, 2 for the adds at the start.
Mimiron - We went for 2.
Freya - We went for 3, 2 is easy enough apart from one of the add groups where 3 makes it trivial.
Thorim - We used 4 last time on the PTR. 2 in the corridor, 2 in the arena, there were *a lot* more adds the last time he was on the PTR, no idea if Blizzard were just testing us. I'd expect this to have been tuned down.
Hodir - 1
Vezax - 1 for normal, 2 for hard mode.
Algalon - Unknown
Yogg-Saron - Unknown
BigCrit.com - The WoW Raiding Forums ... Coming Soon.
Wibu

Postby Mex » Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:29 am

Hrmmm that's interesting. As you said, 4 tanks does seem a bit much on Thorim. How hard do the corridor mini-bosses hit? Are they tankable by a single tank? How about the arena adds? I remember we used 4 tanks in our first week in Naxx for Gothik and 4h but now use one for most encounters, only really using 2 or 3 when mechanics absolutely prohibit solo tanking (ie thaddius, patchwerk, 4h).
Mex

Postby Wibu » Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:19 pm

Mex wrote:Hrmmm that's interesting. As you said, 4 tanks does seem a bit much on Thorim. How hard do the corridor mini-bosses hit? Are they tankable by a single tank? How about the arena adds? I remember we used 4 tanks in our first week in Naxx for Gothik and 4h but now use one for most encounters, only really using 2 or 3 when mechanics absolutely prohibit solo tanking (ie thaddius, patchwerk, 4h).

I never went into the corridor, but I remember something along the lines of a stun being the reason 2 went.

The 2 in arena was just because of the sheer number of adds. The first time we were there I solo tanked arena without much hassle. The last time... they seemed to double or triple the speed/amount of adds that come. This may have just been over tuned on purpose to see how they can balance things.
BigCrit.com - The WoW Raiding Forums ... Coming Soon.
Wibu

Postby Sober » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:05 pm

1 tank for Hodir? I was under the impression you should bring an FrR tank to taunt when he switches to Frozen Blows mode, or is it just simpler with one tank taking all the hits, regardless? If one tank, then will we need a resist flask, or just normal tanking gear?
Sober

Postby Markoh » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:04 am

Sober wrote:1 tank for Hodir? I was under the impression you should bring an FrR tank to taunt when he switches to Frozen Blows mode, or is it just simpler with one tank taking all the hits, regardless? If one tank, then will we need a resist flask, or just normal tanking gear?

Druid in fr gear should be able to solo tank hodir.
Markoh

Postby Splug » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:32 am

Jasari wrote:Has anyone done Iron Council or Freya will look in 10man?

I'm curious if they still require 3 tanks or if you can manage with 2.
When we did iron council, I offtanked both of the targets that weren't being focus fired. We had the other tank pull them to the raid one at a time. It wasn't a problem.

-Splug
Active raid character: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... an&n=Spyte
255 characters is not enough to fit my alts' armories in.
Splug
Maintankadonor

Postby Worldie » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:15 am

Markoh wrote:
Sober wrote:1 tank for Hodir? I was under the impression you should bring an FrR tank to taunt when he switches to Frozen Blows mode, or is it just simpler with one tank taking all the hits, regardless? If one tank, then will we need a resist flask, or just normal tanking gear?

Anyone in fr gear should be able to solo tank hodir.

Fixed, we made the math already, any tank wearing the 4 resist pieces is going to reduce the blows to barely 24k, easily survivable for a full 213 tank, and still take just ~20k from normal melees.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Markoh » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:03 pm

Worldie wrote:Fixed, we made the math already, any tank wearing the 4 resist pieces is going to reduce the blows to barely 24k, easily survivable for a full 213 tank, and still take just ~20k from normal melees.

Druids won't suffer from it is the thing. Not saying any other class can't, just the are probably the best suited to do so.
Markoh

Postby Levantine » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:30 pm

Onoez Druids have an advantage on a fight, whatever will we do?!

It's nowhere near the advantage they had on OS3, suck it up.
Levantine

PreviousNext

Return to T8: Ulduar / Emalon