Ulduar and the Paladin Tank

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: Ulduar and the Paladin Tank

Postby Wibu » Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:38 pm

I had no mana issues tanking the 25 man version. He hits like a truck, 25k.

Disclaimer: Yes, I was 2/2 SA because I knew mana might be an issue, but even with 1/2 I don't think it would be, was always swimming in mana.

As for P1 Mimiron. We used 2 tanks on, one after the other had used CDs (a Warr and a Pala) and a Disc Priest with Pain Suppression. As P3 the encounter is made a little easier with 2 tanks, so much so it warranted us using 2, it was a none issue.
BigCrit.com - The WoW Raiding Forums ... Coming Soon.
Wibu

Postby Katamai » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:50 am

Panzerdin wrote:Unless you make all classes the same, you have to accept that, on hard modes, there are going to be differences between classes. As long as they're balanced between bosses, I don't see a problem with this. Designing instances around a skewed group makeup simply makes the fight pointless for anyone with a properly stacked raid.

What hard mode favors paladin tanks?
I... was... once... called... Ashbringer...
My... son... watched... me... die...
KILL... THEM... ALL!
Katamai

Postby Jasari » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:03 am

Katamai wrote:
Panzerdin wrote:Unless you make all classes the same, you have to accept that, on hard modes, there are going to be differences between classes. As long as they're balanced between bosses, I don't see a problem with this. Designing instances around a skewed group makeup simply makes the fight pointless for anyone with a properly stacked raid.

What hard mode favors paladin tanks?

Sartharion 3D favors a Paladin tanking in 2/3 of the available tanking roles.
Jasari

Postby Falibard » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:12 am

I've tanked Ulduar 10 on my pally tank and my DK tank and I found it much easier on my pally. I did Assembly of Iron on my DK where Fusion Punch was a big issue, then on my Pally where it was trivial because I could dispel myself before it ever ticked. I love some of the utility my DK gives me, but everything just seems easier on my pally.
Falibard

Postby mclem » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:54 am

Out of interest, a week on: Despite all the QQ from a lot of places prior to the patch, I haven't felt that there's anything thus far in Ulduar-25 that I can't realistically tank. I generally defer to our druid as MT just because they have a little bit of an edge on TTL (although given the threat situation I might suggest taking over on XT).

I'm not particularly far in to the instance, though, we're not remotely one of those guilds who are knocking on Yogg's door already, so I'm curious if there is anything I really ought to be wary of tanking. I have better attendance than the druid and so there are days when I'm the de facto MT, and knowing my limits in advance would be advisable.

In short: as we progress, is there anything I really should pass in favour of our warrior or DK (or indeed anything I should insist on over the druid? I'm toying with Mimiron given the prospect of bubbling the Plasma Blast, at least), or has the sky not, in fact, fallen?
mclem

Postby Fridmarr » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:06 am

Well Auriaya's horror is in fact a fear that a warrior can break with zerker, and then interrupt the next cast, which would wipe the raid if not interrupted. We didn't have our warrior tank on when we did her, so I still tanked and we had a DPS warrior responsible for interrupting. Unfortunately, he died early a couple of times resulting in wipes, because the tremor totem didn't break it fast enough and Fear Ward was down. It would be better to have the tank doing it because he's supported, but if that's not an option a DPS warrior is probably fine on it.

We haven't attempted any of the watchers yet, last week Ulduar was often not playable, so we are just now getting to them, but that is the only thing I've seen so far.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Dianora » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:40 pm

Splug wrote:Regarding paladins being the only ones inconvenienced by a fear mechanic: lichborne will no longer be standard in death knight tanking builds as of 3.1 (except possibly frost). It also has a 3 minute cooldown, putting it in the same ball park as divine shield/cancelaura. In this particular case, the tooltip indicates the ability is a terror effect anyway.

Spiritual attunement sounds like it's just bugged. The tooltip on the effect indicates it's intended to at least partially work. If it makes you feel better, roughly 60-70% of my death knight's damage comes from rune strike or autoattack, and warrior/druids will be in the same ballpark due to losing heroic strikes, mauls, or autoattacks for rage generation. Also, isn't there some cloud you can stand in that reduces the mana cost of all spells by 70% (not the saronite vapors... the leftovers from the shadowblast)? The General isn't being tested on the US ptr's, so I'm not sure how long that lasted. But if tanking resources really are a big issue in the encounter, it seems like paladins are also the only class capable of reducing their resource costs to compensante.

Thus, it seems like the whole base for the argument is fairly moot. While it's good to keep an eye out, it sounds like neither of those encounters function the way Honorshammer originally had interpreted them.

-Splug

As I mentioned in the 25 man Assembly of Iron, Paladin does have an advantage in this raid. We're the only tank that can self cleanse Steelbreaker's dot. This is even more noticable if you don't have priest or paladin in the raid. I remember queuing up cleaning when Fusion Punch is being cast.
ImageImageImage
Dianora

Previous

Return to T8: Ulduar / Emalon