Who is the best geared prot paladin u have seen?

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Postby Lieris » Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:37 am

balrogg wrote:
PsiVen wrote:


Nice gear, but his spec is awful. With 2/3 PoJ and 2/5 Toughness he has less effective health than tanks around 5/9 BT.


ive seen him experiment with different specs, could just be one of those times. that, and exodus is ranked 4th in the world with kj down, i havent raided in a longggg time, but there is little room for incompetence.


He still has that spec. 2/3 POJ and 2/5 Toughness are never a good idea, there is nothing to experiment there :/
Lieris
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 2181
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:49 am

Postby Mitsumi » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:56 am

well if he is on kil jaeden thas means he must have some skills ?
Image
User avatar
Mitsumi
 
Posts: 112
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:29 pm

Postby Zably » Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:57 am

Depending on what he is tanking, me might not need 5/5 toughness... I know for M'uru, for example, the only things I tank hit me for 200 or so, melee, the majority of the damage is coming from the aoe shadow bolts. And since for Twins I'm holy, I very often have an abnormal spec for a that fight (respeccing 3 times a night sucks, Holy for Kalec/Brut, Prot for Felmyst, Holy for Twins, Prot again for M'uru).
Zably
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:54 am

Postby Dragonzbane » Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:22 am

Zably wrote: And since for Twins I'm holy, I very often have an abnormal spec for a that fight (respeccing 3 times a night sucks, Holy for Kalec/Brut, Prot for Felmyst, Holy for Twins, Prot again for M'uru).


That does suck...because you should be tanking the Twins and Kalecgos.
Image
Dragonzbane
 
Posts: 1673
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:58 am
Location: In the Forums, stirring the pot.

Postby Dragonzbane » Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:33 am

Mitsumi wrote:well if he is on kil jaeden thas means he must have some skills ?


As stated before:
Gear /= Skill
Content Level /= Knowledge

I seen a few of his posts and they seem fine but as the others have said the spec seems a little off.


Plus at his level of content he should have better gear than he does*.
Right now he has on some SR gear but this is where his gear could be better:

Helm: Khorium or Uthar's or Dath'Remar
Legs: Heoric Judicator or Felstrength
Wrist: Lightbringer
Belt: Lightbringer

Pretty sure he has:
Collar of the Pit Lord
Crimson Paragon's Cover


*Of course gear depends on drops and guild loot policies.
Image
Dragonzbane
 
Posts: 1673
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:58 am
Location: In the Forums, stirring the pot.

Postby Kayoto » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:37 am

Caelus wrote:
The first 2v2 team to reach 3000 rating in the world this season is Paladin / Rogue.
For more info:
http://www.worldofwar.net/n/413004/aren ... 000-rating
http://www.wowinsider.com/2008/04/29/ho ... al-rating/

Whether they are wintraders are highly debated atm.


If by 'highly debated' you mean 'universally known as win traders,' maybe. D:

More on-topic: Paladin tanking is not the hardest thing to do in this game and while most people SHOULD know what they're doing if they're in a top-end guild, this is not always the case.

Ossuary's spec is terrible. Being the "best geared in the world" of ANY class does not mean anything.
Image
Kayoto
 
Posts: 332
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:36 am

Postby Sabindeus » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:48 am

aldon wrote:
Tyaera wrote:
Sabindeus wrote:Me.


with 22% dodge and 439spell dmg?
it doesnt even sound like t6, post armory link if im wrong :>


lol
Image
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
User avatar
Sabindeus
Moderator
 
Posts: 10473
Joined: Mon May 14, 2007 9:24 am

Postby balrogg » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:03 am

there are 2 different discussions i think people are overlapping

gear wise, i dont think oss has the best of the best in every slot. sunwell has only been out so long, there is the rest of the raid to gear, and random drops = fail. that being said, he does have top of the line gear available for tankadins, and currently has access to everything in the game, hence why i mentioned his name.

skill wise, i will agree that being in a top guild doesnt mean youre the best. but, exodus has downed kj, and sunwell has a nasty trend of incrasingly relying on every raid member to do their part. with such a small margin for error, i would say its safe to assume that the us horde first kj, and ranked 4th in the world, has overall skilled players, and having raided with a large number of them, id say he, along with the rest of them, knows what hes doing. also, gm and mt kaywarrior doesnt take to well to incompetence, theres a significant difference between a high end guild and a top 5 world ranked guild.

incidentally, i cant see his spec, maybe people should be looking at what talents he chose, instead of the ones he didnt? not trying to say he is the best, but someone asked to see a geared paladin, and his name came to mind. just like having high end gear doesnt make you skilled, having a weird spec doesnt necessarily make you bad. theres an exodus lock who pulls one of the highest dps in the world according to wws, and i know he raids with a funky spec. clearly its working for them, just because you dont agree or it might not be whats accepted as "better" doesnt mean hes not just as, if not more, skilled than the people badmouthing him.
balrogg
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:43 am

Postby Fridmarr » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:38 am

Zably wrote:Depending on what he is tanking, me might not need 5/5 toughness... I know for M'uru, for example, the only things I tank hit me for 200 or so, melee, the majority of the damage is coming from the aoe shadow bolts. And since for Twins I'm holy, I very often have an abnormal spec for a that fight (respeccing 3 times a night sucks, Holy for Kalec/Brut, Prot for Felmyst, Holy for Twins, Prot again for M'uru).


That might be true, but then I'd expect spell warding. I wouldn't call the spec horrible, he didn't max out Anticipation or Toughness and didn't get spell warding in order to get 5/5 Reckoning and some PoJ. It seems that spec is a little more focused on threat and picking up adds than dealing with significant amounts of direct damage. It's very possible it is simply an encounter specific spec.
Fridmarr
Global Mod
 
Posts: 9667
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:03 am

Postby Atreidies » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:48 am

Fridmarr wrote:
Zably wrote:Depending on what he is tanking, me might not need 5/5 toughness... I know for M'uru, for example, the only things I tank hit me for 200 or so, melee, the majority of the damage is coming from the aoe shadow bolts. And since for Twins I'm holy, I very often have an abnormal spec for a that fight (respeccing 3 times a night sucks, Holy for Kalec/Brut, Prot for Felmyst, Holy for Twins, Prot again for M'uru).


That might be true, but then I'd expect spell warding. I wouldn't call the spec horrible, he didn't max out Anticipation or Toughness and didn't get spell warding in order to get 5/5 Reckoning and some PoJ. It seems that spec is a little more focused on threat and picking up adds than dealing with significant amounts of direct damage. It's very possible it is simply an encounter specific spec.


I actually tank all those adds as holy with BT neck, healing cloak w/ 15 SR and t6 prot gloves for threat enchant on and solo heal myself. No problem at all healing through the aura ticks from a new sentinel up with adds either... Not really sure why people wear prot gear for these at all.

Initially I was tanking the Sents and adds both, but if we got behind at all on adds, 2-3 packs of their shadowbolts + void blast would gib me so we just went back to war tanking them and solo healing myself and raid healing inbetween, not to mention extra healer for p2 seems FAR more efficient than what I've seen so far.
[url=http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Turalyon&n=Bricksauce]Image
Image[/url]
Atreidies
 
Posts: 209
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:50 pm
Location: Colorado

Postby Fridmarr » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:05 am

Atreidies wrote:
Fridmarr wrote:
Zably wrote:Depending on what he is tanking, me might not need 5/5 toughness... I know for M'uru, for example, the only things I tank hit me for 200 or so, melee, the majority of the damage is coming from the aoe shadow bolts. And since for Twins I'm holy, I very often have an abnormal spec for a that fight (respeccing 3 times a night sucks, Holy for Kalec/Brut, Prot for Felmyst, Holy for Twins, Prot again for M'uru).


That might be true, but then I'd expect spell warding. I wouldn't call the spec horrible, he didn't max out Anticipation or Toughness and didn't get spell warding in order to get 5/5 Reckoning and some PoJ. It seems that spec is a little more focused on threat and picking up adds than dealing with significant amounts of direct damage. It's very possible it is simply an encounter specific spec.


I actually tank all those adds as holy with BT neck, healing cloak w/ 15 SR and t6 prot gloves for threat enchant on and solo heal myself. No problem at all healing through the aura ticks from a new sentinel up with adds either... Not really sure why people wear prot gear for these at all.

Initially I was tanking the Sents and adds both, but if we got behind at all on adds, 2-3 packs of their shadowbolts + void blast would gib me so we just went back to war tanking them and solo healing myself and raid healing inbetween, not to mention extra healer for p2 seems FAR more efficient than what I've seen so far.


A bit off topic, but that's the biggest problem I have with the AoE tanking niche. 99% of the AoE tanking I've done could have easily been done by a holy pally. AoE tanking is far more about picking up and holding adds (threat) than it is about surviving them, as they generally don't do much damage at all. A holy build with imp RF (which is quite common) is nearly ideal for it.
Fridmarr
Global Mod
 
Posts: 9667
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:03 am

Postby rozakk » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:47 pm

The whole aoe gimmick thing definitely doesnt need prot spec anywhere in sunwell, and hopefully blizzard isnt dumb enough to not realize it. I may go back to being holy for muru too, i had been originally doing it easily but switched to prot when i was tanking more waves at once - will see how survivability goes now. Where prot truly shines in sunwell is on humanoid adds on muru and imo on adds on kj; i dont see either one being done by a holy pally.

As far as ossuary, paladin tanks in high end guilds may go with fairly bizarre specs and change them a lot because we are catering to specific fights. I've put together some ridiculous specs for fights before because of specific mechanics and he probably does the same.
rozakk
 
Posts: 85
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:03 pm

Postby Lucit » Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:01 pm

rozakk wrote:The whole aoe gimmick thing definitely doesnt need prot spec anywhere in sunwell, and hopefully blizzard isnt dumb enough to not realize it. I may go back to being holy for muru too, i had been originally doing it easily but switched to prot when i was tanking more waves at once - will see how survivability goes now. Where prot truly shines in sunwell is on humanoid adds on muru and imo on adds on kj; i dont see either one being done by a holy pally.

As far as ossuary, paladin tanks in high end guilds may go with fairly bizarre specs and change them a lot because we are catering to specific fights. I've put together some ridiculous specs for fights before because of specific mechanics and he probably does the same.


I've been using the standard 0/49/12 spec for all of Sunwell so far (on M'uru now). Then again, I haven't really had to tailor my spec for much of anything - I've been MTing everything except Felmyst. Even so, I can't see any justification for ever dropping points out of Toughness.
Lucit
 
Posts: 153
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:21 pm

Postby Stings » Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:15 pm

I've picked up reckoning for M'uru aswell in my spec. However i see no reason to take PoJ.... Unless its a KJ thing. But im pretty sure he wasnt there for the kill anyways?
User avatar
Stings
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:43 am

Postby Dragonzbane » Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:44 pm

balrogg wrote:incidentally, i cant see his spec, maybe people should be looking at what talents he chose, instead of the ones he didnt?


Spec:
http://armorylite.com/us/kel%27thuzad/ossuary/t

Sorry for the armorylite but I can't get to an official sites at work.

Understand:
0/1 Kings -> a holy must have it

5/5 Rekoning -> threat increase

2/5 Toughness -> Maybe if he's only taking spell damage


Don't understand:
4/5 Anticipation -> No such thing as extra defense in Sunwell, unless he doesn't go near a boss

0/2 Spell Warding -> Contradicts the reasoning behind Toughness

2/3 PoJ -> Needs more speed to pickup adds?


Just my opinion of course.
Image
Dragonzbane
 
Posts: 1673
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:58 am
Location: In the Forums, stirring the pot.

PreviousNext

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest