Is alot of dodge bad?

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Is alot of dodge bad?

Postby Rokh » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:50 pm

So...... here's the story.

I tank for a SSC/TK guild, but we have alot of avid pvp'ers and most of our dps has full S3 armor and weapons, and I am worried about my threat generation.

I used to run full block rating + block value.. i sat around 750 BV and 85-90% chance to block with HS up (20% dodge, 15% parry), and about 300 spell power and 20k hp raid buffed.

Now i had alot of badges sitting around, and i wanted to try a dodge build.. so i banked all my block gear for dodge gear.

I am now sitting at 30+% dodge, but very low BR(about 15%) and only 350 BV, I break uncrushable by the skin of my teeth, and i lost about 2k hp raid buffed...

I also feel with dodging more i do not build as much threat, even though some of the new gear has more spell power on it, I hardly ever use more than 1 holy shield charge.

I really really really want to go back to massive BV and BR.. but alot of what i read on these forums say you need dodge for BT and MT.HY

Is to much dodge bad? its such an expensive stat, is it worth the loss in HP? thoughts?
Rokh

Postby Saltychip » Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:16 am

to much dodge is bad, meaning you don't get hit hard and wont get mana back. But 30% seems a little high mix some of your Block gear and dodge gear until your at 27-29% dodge or until you are happy. More dodge makes the healers happy since you don't have such spikey damage since you are already uncrushable.
Saltychip

Postby Gothyelk_ » Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:04 am

Too much of anything one thing is bad because it means you have made sacrifices elsewhere. Balance is the key, always balance.
Gothyelk_

Postby Gotwa » Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:08 am

Gothyelk_ wrote:Too much of anything one thing is bad because it means you have made sacrifices elsewhere. Balance is the key, always balance.

^

Don't really think this can be stressed any other way, however I still feel that certain occasions call for certain gear sets, so it's an interesting concept.
Gotwa

Re: Is alot of dodge bad?

Postby Widdox » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:38 am

Rokh wrote:So...... here's the story.

I tank for a SSC/TK guild, but we have alot of avid pvp'ers and most of our dps has full S3 armor and weapons, and I am worried about my threat generation.

I used to run full block rating + block value.. i sat around 750 BV and 85-90% chance to block with HS up (20% dodge, 15% parry), and about 300 spell power and 20k hp raid buffed.

Now i had alot of badges sitting around, and i wanted to try a dodge build.. so i banked all my block gear for dodge gear.

I am now sitting at 30+% dodge, but very low BR(about 15%) and only 350 BV, I break uncrushable by the skin of my teeth, and i lost about 2k hp raid buffed...

I also feel with dodging more i do not build as much threat, even though some of the new gear has more spell power on it, I hardly ever use more than 1 holy shield charge.

I really really really want to go back to massive BV and BR.. but alot of what i read on these forums say you need dodge for BT and MT.HY

Is to much dodge bad? its such an expensive stat, is it worth the loss in HP? thoughts?

I am an avoidance guy, so take this as you will.

I think 30% dodge is not nessisarily a bad thing, just be sure you know when its a good set to use and when its not. I have a 30% dodge set for when I MT a hard hitting boss. If you are AE tanking then its probably not as nice.
Widdox

Postby aybarra » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:42 am

I probably screwed up my stats (like stamina) with the new gem and stuff. I have the problem of keeping me uncrittable (ok I have the glad mace so I could go below 490, but don't want to). I sit at ~32% dodge fully buffed and only 18k HP (no imp and shout though). Probably should change some gems for pure stamina but since the dodge/stam gem came I mostly go for all the socketbonuses.
aybarra

Postby Zeels » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:47 am

Dodge seems to be just fine for some types of aoe tanking. Gladiator packs in heroic shattered halls for instances (mortal strike), I've done a lot of testing and found out it's a lot easier for the healers when I use my boss tanking (aka dodge set), than my block value/block rating set.

I'm like worldie(I think) said once about himself , a dodge whore.
By the Power of Grey Skull!

Lvl 80 Spanks you very much Spankadin!

Spank
Zeels

Re: Is alot of dodge bad?

Postby Malecandra » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:24 am

Rokh wrote:and I am worried about my threat generation.

If I am reading things right, you traded one type of mitigation/avoidance for another and didn't really do anything to address the threat issue. I'm tanking this content right now and have multiple gear sets: Block/AOE, MT (dodge) and threat.

In my threat set I'm still uncrushable and at about 690 spell damage raid buffed. I use this set on any non-aoe trash pulls and on some bosses (VR and leo mainly). There are really NO issues with threat in this set, although I lose about 2k health.

I'm assuming your threat issues are primarily trash based since in the majority of the other fights (besides VR), something else affects the equation (aggro resets, caster can't pull aggro fights like alar phase 1 and lurker, etc).

Also, your block value set seems overkill anyway. Just last night I had to nerf my own gear because I was constantly running out of mana on the platform pulls around lurker. I run at about 630 BV.

Not enough mana for taunt = not cool.
Malecandra

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice