Remove Advertisements

quick question gearing issues

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

quick question gearing issues

Postby bageleater » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:48 pm

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... Bageleater

above is the most recent version of my tanking gear minus what i state below.

above link i have 500 defense and 102.73 avoidance (just over the line)

i just picked up the s2 shield to use for tanking, and in a couple hours after badge farming kara will be able to pick up slikks.

my shield isnt currently enchanted, but when i popped it on to check my uncrush it scared me a bit. i saw 101.28 avoid and 491 defense.

i ran over and looked at the slikks and noticed it has less defense but more dodge.

by the end of the night, i will have both the shield and cape unenchanted. what are the best enchants for both bringing me back over the uncrit/uncrush line while also getting the most out of both pieces.

thank you for your time and help, and sorry for the poor formatting, typing this 5mins before kara starts.
bageleater

Postby roosevelt » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:59 pm

The only shield enchant that helps with uncrush is block rating. Enchanting your cloak for defense helps with uncrit and gives slightly more uncrush than dodge enchant.

I recommend you familiarize yourself with the gems and enchant sticky http://www.failsafedesign.com/maintanka ... php?t=4859

I also recommend you switch that 5 defense on bracers enchant to 12, and replace 150hp on chest with 15 defense.
roosevelt

Postby bageleater » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:44 pm

the issue isnt what enchants i need to reach it again, the problem is i am trying to keep as much stamina as i can while swapping gear
bageleater

Postby roosevelt » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:18 pm

As a rule of thumb you're better off enchanting for uncrush/uncrit and gemming for stam. This is because gems give 1.5x stam to other stats while enchants give equal amounts.

150hp to chest is a crappy enchant unless all of your gems are stam and everything that can be is enchanted for stam. If you need any defense or avoidance from enchants and gems there is no reason not to have 15 defense rating on chest. The same is true of defense vs stam on bracers, and to a lesser extent agility vs stam on boots.

Another school of thought is to enchant/gem to the strength of the item. This is very useful while compiling many different sets of gear for different situations. This strategy obviously isn't effective until you have multiple pieces of gear for different slots.

Hope this helps, if not theres some great info and math in the gems and enchant thread.
roosevelt

Postby bageleater » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:39 pm

thank you, i did what you suggested, but just put defense on everything cheaper than dodge and shield black, got me where i should be without loosing too much stam, thanks again!
bageleater

Postby bageleater » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:03 am

alright since the post above to get above my crit/crush line, i swapped enchants from defense on my cloak to dodge.

right now using character auditor:

http://be.imba.hu/?zone=US&realm=anvilm ... Bageleater

at the moment it says i can loose 39 defense and still be uncritible. it may not be possible, but is there anyway to trade some defense enchants to true avoidance, or avoidance/stamina? or is there not enough breathing room to accomplish this?

with my current gear i am sitting around 102.7% avoidance

yes i know, i still need to enchant my shield :P but money is short, just blew 6600 on my epic
bageleater

Postby sweeney » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:00 am

Right now you're using that extra defense to hit uncrushable, so I'd just keep it. There are some threads floating around comparing defense to dodge as far as pure avoidance, and they're closer than I thought.

Obviously you'd want to get rid of any shield block rating and trade that for dodge, but you've already got that covered.
Sweeney: 80 Paladin, Runetotem
sweeney

Postby Crittoris » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:14 am

With the s2 shield you're getting a buttload of resil, don't worry about uncrit.

With the cloak, properly enchanted, you'll be back to uncrushable too
Saviorself - 70 priest
Expriest - 70 warrior
Wafflez - 63ish priest
Crittoris - 70 FINALLY!
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... =Crittoris
Crittoris

Postby bageleater » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:24 am

the cape is already enchanted with dodge, and i am just sitting above uncrushable. what i am trying to do is dump defense for avoidance/stamina but it seems it cant be done from sweeney's answer, though if anyone can think of anything else that will work please post :)

ty again!
bageleater

Postby Baelor » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:12 am

What I'd do is use Iron Gauntlets of the Maiden instead of T4 gloves, enchant them with 2% threat and gem them with 2x Solid Star of Elune, and then you'll have uncrush breathing room and a superior tanking piece in your glove slot. You're not getting anything from t4 gloves over maiden other than spell damage right now - you're getting 2-piece t4 from helm/shoulders and you don't seem to wear a 4th piece. So, take the slight spell damage hit and gain stam/armor/block rating/block value, freeing you to move some other things around, maybe re-enchant another piece for stamina instead of defense.

On an unrelated note, how many bagels do you eat, Mr. Bageleater man?
I am the light that brings the dawn.
Something Wicked this way comes.
Formerly: Baelor of Runetotem-US (2006-2007) | Cathmor of Malfurion-US (2007-2010)
Follow me on Twitter
Baelor

Postby bageleater » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:57 am

thank you, i have never need the gloves drop off maiden, hopefully I will get lucky this week :)

hehe, i don't eat very many bagels. i couldn't think of a name for my pally, and i just happened to be eating a bagel at the time :P
bageleater

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice