Tanking after 102.4%

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Tanking after 102.4%

Postby Valrath » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:54 pm

Ok I'm pretty sure I'm doing fine but wanted to clear up something and make sure I understand it.

In full HP/Tanking gear I'm at about 45% avoidance
18.05% dodge

So is it true once I'm at 102.4 when I block i don't take dmg or is it still just reduced by my block value?
I read a different post where block falls off after 102.4% and u avoid the dmg all together.

For improving my avoidance I should get dodge and not really block rating, but how much of my block rating should I reduce for dodge?
Whats a good amount of block % to stay around and also block, like whats a good balance?

Here is a link to armory for what I have, I switch between 2-3 items so not sure which will show but it's all fairly close.

Thanks for the advise in advance.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... &n=Valrath
:D
Valrath

Postby blackcat » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:09 pm

Okay. A small disclaimer here, this is my first attempt at interpreting theory-crafting, it could go horribly wrong, so bear with me.

Anyhow.

Now that you've hit 102.4% crushing blow avoidance, you can no longer be crushed, critted or hit normally. This is because of the way the attack table works. I'm not going to go into details, there are other very good posts on this site and on WoWWiki that explain it.

But essentially, because of the way the outcome of an attack is checked, the chance of it being a block, parry, dodge or miss is now equal to 100%, and so you cannot be crushed (and, consequently, hit normally or critted). The furthest down the attack table (last to be checked) before crushing blows is block, which is why extra block is said to "fall off" the table after 102.4. Once you've hit 102.4, extra block rating does nothing.

However. Unlike block, if the attack misses, is dodged, or is parried, you take no damage. When you block, you take the damage you would normally, reduced by your block value. This is why parry and dodge is considered better avoidance than block.

Of course, you can't have too much pure avoidance, if you don't take any damage, you don't get healed, and you don't get any mana, so you can't generate threat. This is bad.

So, your dodge, parry, miss (affected by defence) and block becomes a balancing act. Too much block, you take too many hits, and die. Too much pure avoidance, no mana. I believe it comes down to personal preference though (also, you should have a high block value/spelldamage set for trash tanking, from what I hear).

I believe that is how it works. I could be wrong though, I've only just started tanking, your gear leaves mine in the dust. I just spend too much time reading, and not enough playing :P

Hope this helps.
"OOM does NOT mean I'm out of monsters and want more."
blackcat

Postby Valrath » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:25 pm

Actually yeah you cleared up some things I've been slightly confused on.
Thanks, I better understand the attack table a bit more now.

Is there a way to knwo how much of my block rating is falling off the table?
Valrath

Postby fudomyou » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:33 pm

Valrath wrote:Is there a way to knwo how much of my block rating is falling off the table?

Take your total uncrushable stats, and subtract 102.4 from it. The difference is how much block rating is falling off the table.
fudomyou
Maintankadonor

Postby Shamora » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:34 pm

Valrath wrote:Actually yeah you cleared up some things I've been slightly confused on.
Thanks, I better understand the attack table a bit more now.

Is there a way to knwo how much of my block rating is falling off the table?

This is your standard way to find out if you are uncrushable:
5 (base miss) + Miss in the defense tooltip + dodge + parry + block + 30 (Holy Shield) + 5.33 (if you have have the Libram of Repentance)

This should be 102.4 or higher. Subtract 102.4 from it and whats left should be the amount of block that is falling off.

For example lets use my stats
5.8% miss in defense tooltip
17.5% dodge
16.65 Parry
22.6% Block
and I have the libram

5 + 5.8 + 17.5 +16.65 + 22.6 + 30 + 5.33 = 102.88

Subtract the 102.4 from 102.88 and I'm left with 0.44 which means that 0.44% of my block is falling off the table.
Hearthstone Arena Stats
Server: PVP US Warsong, Horde - <Orbit>
Main: Keondra, Delver of the Vaults, Lvl 90 Assassination Rogue
Shamora

Here goes,...

Postby Rustyblade » Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:15 am

Okay this is what I would do if I was in your position, IMO its what all tanks should do.

For MAIN tanking only (aka anything that can crush).

Once you get 102.4% avoidance go straight to parry or dodge, I like parry as it helps your TPS but don't gem for it just take it where you can get it(like T5 shoulders). Try to push your total avoidance(D+P+Miss+5) to 50%, I myself am aiming for 55-60% and will probably hit that with the badge vendor comes out on my server as the ring and the pants will give me like 4% more dodge.

And like others said every point over 102.4% is wasted stats and itemization.

Now if your trash tanking things that will remove your holy shield charges before you renew it then you want 100%+ D+P+B+Miss without holy shield and as much block as possible, this is good for trash in any instance(heroics too!) and even the lower end bosses like in kara.

My block set has 750ish BV with about 78% avoidance+block w/o holy shield on and it makes kara trash a joke.

Something to think about, your on the right track just keep going.
Rustyblade

Postby Rosecrest » Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:31 am

100%+ D+P+B+Miss without holy shield and as much block as possible

Ok I got lost on this part & really need to understand it as I'm building a trash set now & this thread is clarifying things I was really confused on.
Rosecrest

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice