Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests Here)

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Sabindeus, Aergis, lythac, Digren, majiben

Re: Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests H

Postby Thels » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:42 pm

Assuming you're 2 tanking him, try to get your co-tank to taunt off you the moment his debuffs disappear. The higher they stack, the more damage you take, obviously.

542 is a tad on the low side. Since it's the end of the raid, you're expected to be decked out in gear from the rest of the raid, which should net you at least 553, not counting VP buffs. However, if you're playing properly, and your healers are decent, it should be ok.

The Zandalari trinket is not that bad, actually. Haste is a pretty good stat. Though if you're behind on gear, and being carried by strong healers, stamina is always your best choice.
ImageImage
Thels

Postby Pains » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:00 pm

Healing on me was pretty good, did get gimped a couple of times due to me failing and not using cd's/having EF up on warsong took a big 460k hit and had a couple of add hits on me.

here's the log from tonight if you can spot any improvements i can make that would be great! :)

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-0tmwlvqvwuy834qu/

I took Holy prism for most the fights (tested out lights hammer) find that it's more fitting for the burst damage and helping out the healers done some insane heals on some fights.
Pains

Postby Thels » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:08 am

Holy Prism is especially nice for picking up adds, as it's burst. It does require more GCDs, but as long as you don't push back CS, J or AS+GC, it doesn't really matter.

And yeah, use some CDs for those Warsongs. Do you have 1 tank on boss, 1 tank on adds? You might notice that the boss tank also gets adds aggro. A way to handle this is to switch whoever is tanking the boss right when the adds come in, as the previous boss tank will have plenty of vengeance to pick up those adds, and the other tank can then simply taunt the boss.
ImageImage
Thels

Postby Pains » Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:37 am

Looks like i will be healing it tonight, cheers for the advice guys great help.
Pains

Postby Taeron » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:52 am

Hello!

I'm hoping you can help me out in a gear dicision dilemma.

ilvl 665 epic cloak MAS/VERSATILITY vs. going into HCs and finding an ilvl630 cloak with BA?

I got the 665 ilvl one from salvaging but without BA, I am not sure if it's better to just throw it up on AH.

Thank you!
Taeron

Postby Worldie » Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:13 pm

the sheer amount of extra stamina, strength, green stat total and base armor is enough to justify using it over a cloak 35 ilvls lower. That is, unless you REALLY REALLY REALLY need that gold
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby shidageki » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:31 pm

Hey. Long time reader, first time poster.

I have found several items while playing that have brought up questions. For instance 630 savant gear over 640 mastery/other gear. Is the small bump to stam and armor worth giving up 63mastery to pick up 60ish of another stat(haste, vers, crit)?

I feel like I should stick with the stats, but with item level trumping "tank stats" the last 2 expansions, it's left me unsure.

Also, I have not been able to find any info on if or how much Leech counts as a tank stat. Should Leech even figure into a descion on whether or not to keep a piece of gear? heals on attack FEELS tanky......

Thanks in advance!

(specific gear in question)(all gear is listed 640 gear first)
1. Iron Bomb Shoulders(72 vers, 102 mastery) vs. Shoulder guard of valted skies of the savant(168 mastery)
2. Grips of burning infusion(70 crit, 105 mastery, indestrucible) vs. Rivet-sealed crushers(90 vers, 74 mastery, 72 leech)
3. (both items 645) Breastplate(106 mastery, 141 crit) vs. Breastplate(106 haste, 141 multi, 110 leech)
shidageki

Postby Worldie » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:43 pm

Leech counts... near 0. The amount of healing you get from it doesn't even cover the simple autoattacking of a non elite :P

In general, outside of trinkets and sockets, you always want the higher ilvl item. The extra armor, stamina and STR generally surpass the little survivability loss you get from going from a optimal stat to a suboptimal one... unless you decide to wear spirit gear obviously :P

You should consider using a lower ilvl item only if the disparity is massive, say a mastery/versatility item vs a haste/crit one.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Lastwolf » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:30 am

Tertiary stats are for flavour only, and in and ideal world, gem socket all the way, the rest is mostly unimportant.

Worldie is right, generally speaking ilvl > all, baring a massively low amount in the unfavorable stats, as can outweigh the difference eventually.

Number 1, Iron Bomb shoulders unless the Vaulted Skies also rolled higher than 80 vers, 90 crit, 120 haste or 125 multistrike, even then it's only to match the Iron.

Number 2, Grips it's not even remotely close

number 3, The Breastplate with Mastery/Crit.

When things are of the same ilvl, sta + str + armour are all equal therefore it's simple unless it's like 50 more of a stat.

Mastery ~ Vers > Crit > Haste ~ Multistrike

But at this point it's splitting hairs, the loss or gain in performance seems to be very marginal.
Lastwolf

Postby Diskotanssit » Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:48 pm

Hey! I need some quick help regarding these damn trinkets :)

I have Pillar of the Earth (670), Pol's Blinded Eye (670) and Evergaze Arcane Eidolon (655 w/ socket).

Thanks!
Diskotanssit

Postby Teahouse » Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:07 am

I just hit 100.

What would item should I get from the Apexis trader?
Teahouse

Postby Worldie » Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:05 am

None, you should farm 4800 apexis for the 680 ring from the legendary quest ;)

Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Quietmode » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:02 am

After the ~5000 used for the legendary quest, you should have a decent amount of 630 gear from from heroic dungeons if you are playing regularly.

I would suggest to just fill in whatever slots are missing and have low ilvl. You can do the same with Crafted gear, though you get the most bang for your buck from Chest/Legs/Helm.

The joy of being a pally tank in WoD, is that any ilvl increase more than 10 ilvls is almost guaranteed to be an upgrade regardless of stats because of the gains from Armor/Strength/Stamina.
Quietmode

Postby Nimaothar » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:38 am

Hi all,

1st time posting since the expansion started. Guild is making great progress through normal (currently on last boss) and wants to keep the lockout while we start on heroic. Heroic Kargath hit a little harder but otherwise was fine, however that was not the case with Butcher. I felt that if I missed even one shield of the righteous during a cleave it was taking everything I had to recover, not to mention balancing threat with my MT Brewmaster (whose idea was it to give our only anti-bleed to a threat generator anyway?). That said, I am wondering if I should still be spending the time farming Normal Tectus's trinket on different runs, or if I'll be okay with current gear for progression as we make our way through. Below is my armory (I know that LFR helm is not ideal but best that I have). Thanks for your thoughts!

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/w ... har/simple
Nimaothar

Postby Siekai » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:19 pm

I found Heroic butcher a lot easier when I switched to Empowered seals over Holy shield for that fight and stayed in Seal of insight. I wasn't wearing any better gear than you are. I also ran a stam flask instead of a strength flask. I found I didn't need to use any CDs except divine protection until the burn phase. We had one holy priest, two disc priests and a resto druid for heals in a 15 man comp.
Siekai

Postby Dsgkde » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:49 pm

Thank you, that is all I have to say.
support voiture Google Nexus 6 coque Google Nexus 6
Last edited by Dsgkde on Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dsgkde

Postby Boèndal » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:19 am

I got a question regarding weapon enchants right now. I see tanks using 3 different enchants: Blackrock (armor proc), warsong (haste) and thunderlord (crit).
Shouldn't there be a go to enchant or are people just trying things out after the nerfs and changes last week?

Here is my armory if its any help

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/ysera/Bo%C3%A8ndal/advanced
Boèndal

Postby Jackinthegreen » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:20 pm

It depends on the person's playstyle and what they feel they need to value right then. The catch with the haste enchant is we can get enough haste to soft cap at 50%, so it loses a bit of value there. Reminds me of armor penetration gearing back in WotLK due to certain trinkets.

So long as the enchant isn't for multistrike it'll perform fine for us.
Jackinthegreen

Postby DisRuptive1 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:23 pm

Boèndal wrote:Shouldn't there be a go to enchant or are people just trying things out after the nerfs and changes last week?

The go to enchant is Blackrock. However, the other enchants aren't that much of a survivability loss (only about 1k TMI). If for some reason you can't afford Blackrock or you like the look of some of the other enchants, it's not that detrimental to pick those enchants over Blackrock.
DisRuptive1

Postby Lastwolf » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:05 am

aren't the other enchants alot more expensive ? blackrock is only 3 temp crystals, the rest are like 15, only shattered hand is cheaper and it's quite a bit worse.
Lastwolf

Postby Jadhzia » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:37 pm

Lastwolf wrote:aren't the other enchants alot more expensive ? blackrock is only 3 temp crystals, the rest are like 15, only shattered hand is cheaper and it's quite a bit worse.

If I remember correctly, the Bonus Armor and Spirit enchants were also very expensive at first, but the prices were lowered a few weeks ago, without any nerf.
Jadhzia, Protection Paladin, EU-Sargeras
Jadhzia

Postby Boèndal » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:33 am

The Armor Proc actually got buffed to proc "earlier" at 60% instead of 50% health. I went with Blackrock not cause it was the cheapest i considered, but i had ruled out haste for me since i was going for cm golds and it was between armor and crit. I figured the crit enchant is more of a raid one where you can get its benefit even while not tanking or triggering a special health %.
Boèndal

Postby MasterNewt » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:59 pm

What would you pick:

RING 1
ilvl685
84 haste
116 bonus armor

RING 2
ilvl686
109 versatility
100 bonus armor
socket

Thank you for helping me make this painful decision. :)
MasterNewt

Postby theckhd » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:49 am

Probably haste/BA, though they're likely so close that it's not a big deal which you choose.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 6.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Berelyte » Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:40 pm

Been arguing with myself recently about some gear that's fallen in my lap (or on my head, as it were.)

Mythic Casque of the Iron Bomber (Haste/Vers) or Heroic Tier Helmet (Crit/Mastery)?
Berelyte

PreviousNext

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice