Remove Advertisements

Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests Here)

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Re: Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests H

Postby Halide » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:48 am

I recently hit level 90 and started tanking my guilds heroic progress/normal farm raids, before last week i'd never even played a paladin in any capacity so it's all rather quick for me. I'v tanked nearly a full SOO clear now with logs, but felt extremely squishy + spiky on a lot of the fights, to the point where i ended up tunnel vision cooldowns/AM rather than focus on the fight, but that's probably just inexperience.
http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-jbnoqvlbi06jmtny/
http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-sf43iqrjvr6yyt3w/
These are the reports, would absolutely love any advice at all, glancing at them myself i can see EF uptime is extremely low on some fights and i took a fair bit of avoidable damage, but i really have no clue what sort of sotr uptime i should be hitting with my gear though, or if my gearing is correct, perhaps more stamina would be a good idea for now?
http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/a ... e/advanced (First log i was ~ 528, second ~ 535)
Professions are being leveled as i find the gold to, BS made good sense as can swap between haste/stam, but JC doesn't have the same amount of haste, should i just go LW for the extra stam over other professions, or is there something i'v missed that's great for prot, some use of engi?
Finally if anyone could clarify how i should use wog/EF, put it up at the very start, wait for 5 stacks bog? Should i cast it on other people for the hot or only if they're really low? Refresh with more vengeance, if so, what's a good benchmark for how much more.
Sorry for the mass of questions, i really don't like being the one who holds back progression or makes the fight harder, so any reply is greatly appreciated.
Halide

Postby Jackinthegreen » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:08 am

First of all, do you know the priority system that generates the most HoPo? If not, it's CS>J>AS(with or without GC)>HW>Cons. HoW is above Cons I believe but might also be above HW. It's definitely not above AS though, with or without a GC proc. That'll lead into a rotation looking like CS-J-X-CS-X-J-CS-X-X and repeat, with X as filler. As you can see from that there are 3 CS for every 2 J, which doesn't seem to be fully reflected in your ability use. You've got closer to 1:1 CS:J there, which might be improved.

If you're still getting used to tanking you might want to try going with Sacred Shield first simply because it doesn't mess up your HoPo generation which you'll want to nail before going into EF so you can get the most from it and get a feel for when healing instead of SotR is best used.

If you find you're getting spike damage on the pull then Holy Avenger might be better for you so you can get a SotR out right from the start. It can likewise help minimize damage during heavy periods or times where your healers might be able to get to you as quickly as they otherwise might. DP is going to give the highest uptime but if you're still working on HoPo generation then it's not gonig to be as good.

Upgrading your shield is the biggest gain to armor you can get. The one from Sha of Pride is probably your easiest option, but Nazgrim has the best itemized one.
Jackinthegreen

Postby Klaudandus » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:25 am

Is it ok to break T15 2-set bonus in order to get the T16 2-set bonus? I've had terrible luck with drops and all I've gotten so far is T16 Flex chest and hands, but I got T-15 LFR shoulders and T15 Gloves.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Kal » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:25 pm

@Halide, about professions, LW is the largest stamina gain, and BS is the largest haste gain, so the two together are pretty good. I have a blog post that summarizes profession bonuses, if you're interested.

About Eternal Flame, I usually use it preventatively as a cooldown with at least 80% or more vengeance and 3 or more Bastion of Glory. The initial heal is pretty big, so it's also something I like to use. I'll sometimes maintain 5 stacks of Bastion while pooling Holy Power, then use Eternal Flame to heal myself up after a spike I know is coming.

@Klaundandus, your Flex gear is high enough of an ilevel upgrade that the difference between the set bonuses is fairly irrelevant. Go with the upgrades.
"There is no such thing as luck; there is only adequate or inadequate preparation to cope with a statistical universe."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Kal

Postby Klaudandus » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:18 pm

Kal wrote:@Klaundandus, your Flex gear is high enough of an ilevel upgrade that the difference between the set bonuses is fairly irrelevant. Go with the upgrades.

Should have mentioned it's actually for this toon
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/f ... dus/simple
---
Klaudandus

Postby Xfighter » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:13 am

Was curious on other people's thoughts on the effectiveness of the T15 4pc in 10H so far? I've been pretty adamant in keeping the 4pc until I can swap it directly for 4pc 16, but on further analysis, keeping the 15 4pc has prevented me from using various upgrades I've gotten, as I was always overflowing in hit that I wouldn't be able to get rid of.

Looked at logs and while my DP usage probably lacks on some of the easier stuff, I noticed the 4pc generates an average of ~7-15 hp/fight, with some of the harder hitting ones (Malkorok for example) getting 22 hp.

Do the bosses hit hard enough in peoples minds to warrant keeping it for 10H (as 25H hits much much harder)? Or is it better to use some decent off-set items? The overall ilvl difference in 4pc vs new gear is +6-7 ilvls, ~5% haste, ~5% mastery, 30k+ hp, and various others.
Xfighter

Postby chace86 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:51 pm

Xfighter wrote:Was curious on other people's thoughts on the effectiveness of the T15 4pc in 10H so far? I've been pretty adamant in keeping the 4pc until I can swap it directly for 4pc 16, but on further analysis, keeping the 15 4pc has prevented me from using various upgrades I've gotten, as I was always overflowing in hit that I wouldn't be able to get rid of.

Looked at logs and while my DP usage probably lacks on some of the easier stuff, I noticed the 4pc generates an average of ~7-15 hp/fight, with some of the harder hitting ones (Malkorok for example) getting 22 hp.

Do the bosses hit hard enough in peoples minds to warrant keeping it for 10H (as 25H hits much much harder)? Or is it better to use some decent off-set items? The overall ilvl difference in 4pc vs new gear is +6-7 ilvls, ~5% haste, ~5% mastery, 30k+ hp, and various others.

This is coming from 25H, but I did tank 10H in ToT for part of that tier. In 10 man, gear is more limited and you may have other classes who share your tier token with stronger set bonuses. If I were you, I would either wait for T16 4 piece, or when you have THREE well itemized offset items to switch out of T15. And when I say well itemized, I mean at least Heroic and ideal secondary stats. No Parry or Dodge. As you stated, T15 is still generating a decent amount of Holy Power even with the nerf. It is more effective on the hard hitting bosses, when we really need the Holy Power. The 2 piece is also effective, giving you more block after you use an Eternal Flame. I'm still using it, and letting other classes who share my tier get their T16 set before I even consider it.

This is also coming from someone who thinks that the T16 4-piece is pretty weak, the 2-piece is garbage, and will probably aim for well itemized offset pieces, forgetting tier altogether. After people start taking it for offset, I will probably pick it up and give it a try.

I will not be equipping upgrades either until I have enough well itemized offset pieces to make the transition.
chace86

Postby Xfighter » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:12 am

Thanks for the reply! Tested out running without 4pc T15 for part of our farm kills, as well as the first few heroic farm kills, and overall don't notice a HUGE difference, but I can still feel the loss of it a little bit. Especially after getting heroic CDR trinket off our malkorok kill last week. Most likely going back to 4pc tomorrow night for general+malk and up, as they hit harder (esp solo soaking blood rages).

And yea, my 10-man has 2 warlocks, 2 priests, and me in the "CORE", and a holy pally who is beginning to be more in our core, and we just finished grabbed the 4 DPS their 4pcs first, before I took a single T16 token. So I'm most likely up next on getting them, so will probably make the 4pc -> 4pc swap once I get them. Unless I get some nice heroic offset items, but most of those come later on in the instance anyways.
Xfighter

Postby Frusend » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:17 pm

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/a ... end/simple

Good afternoon,

Trying to conduct research to better myself as the main tank for our raid and have been constantly reviewing the theory craft threads. Has the battle healer glyph become outdated and if so what are typical tanks replacing it with? Also if even has time critique on my build would be much appreciated. Currently pursuing a control/haste with a emphasis on stacking stam as well. My logs show a lousy up time of ~30% however has it become so nerfed that most individuals are choosing EF? As well as tier 6 I understand that the dilemma is now picking between the two hammers rather than HP. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Fru Fru
Frusend

Postby econ21 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:29 pm

Yes, battle healer is very bad now: you can read the discussion in Theck's talent guide thread on this site. Personally, I've switched to the WoG glyph based on Wrathblood's calculation of its dps. (I use focused shield for single target too). You probably should switch to EF from SS: it's just a lot more throughput.

Otherwise, your build looks solid to me. (I've gone pure haste gems mostly but have a stamina trinket.)
econ21

Postby Klaudandus » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:39 pm

quick question, what abilites does the Vial of Living Corruption affect?
---
Klaudandus

Postby Xfighter » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:46 pm

Klaudandus wrote:quick question, what abilites does the Vial of Living Corruption affect?

DP, AD, GoAK, AW, DS, HoP.
Xfighter

Postby keesdel » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:31 pm

This is the first posting here
I am in need of some help..I always seem to keep dieing on Norushen when I go into the other realm...I am getting the interupts and moving out of the titanic smash..but the dot it pops on me I dont know if I just dont have enough stam in my gear..and forget about getting an offhand in that raid either ..spent 4 tokens on bosses this week trying to get one

http://armorylite.com/us/drenden/Grandkeesdel

if there is anything that I can do to help with that please feel free to let me know..I hate to have to be brezed in the fight

Thanks in advance
Grandkeesdel
keesdel

Postby Extermi » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:37 am

Xfighter wrote:
Klaudandus wrote:quick question, what abilites does the Vial of Living Corruption affect?

DP, AD, GoAK, AW, DS, HoP.

Actually a bit "unfair" in that it lowers CD on AW but not on HA - I really did prefer HA and still like the playstyle. But now that I got the trinket, a 2.5 min AW with SW talented is really looking strong(er). Any thoughts here if this shifts talent choices from HA to SW ? (Considering you, like me, dont like DP as the build-up time before the first EF ticks just feels way to loooooong)
Extermi

Postby Schroom » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:02 am

HA is still as strong as it was.

also it still is more Burst reduce and easier HoPo management o a stil lower CD then AW with SW even with the trinket.

the reason why HA is not affected, is because it would have become TO strong.the ilvl 580 version has 25% reduction so this would mean that HA is on a 90s CD.

you gain > 30s of SoTR coverage with HA. so you basically have > 30 sec shieldwall every minute.

no really balance. and Blizzard saw this as well. that's why HA is not affected.
Schroom

PreviousNext

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice