Remove Advertisements

Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests Here)

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Postby Remsaa » Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:27 pm

I think I might fail at gemming :(

New to Prot, so far I have tanked 1 normal Shattered Halls with overgeared ppl + a 69 sham, and a normal Sethekk 4 man.

I have been thinking about tanking MgT, Heroics (MgT?) maybe even a Kara (i wish ZA).

The problem is, besides my nubinesss, and 0 tanking trinkets (going to try and farm the one from SH) I think my health is too low as well as my avoidance (which will be better once I get 2 tanking trinkets)

after 150 days played on this toon its about time I tried the only spec I dont have gear for :)

http://www.chardev.org/?template=32809

Is my health too low, are my gems lol as hell?
Remsaa

Need some ideas

Postby 'Sanct' - Rise Of Legends » Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:46 pm

My gear:
http://armorylite.com/us/Twisting+Nether/Sacrisanct

Right now I'm my guild's MT paladin tank. I compete fairly heavily with my guild's Warrior MT and feral MT. I'd like to think i'm in the lead slightly as i have the highest attendance as raid MT on our GFKs. We've downed Lurker,Leo,Tidewalker,Karathress in SSC and VR,Solarian in TK and Winterchill in Hyjal.

The set i'm wearing in the link is my spelldamage/general tanking set. I generally don't find myself wanting for survivability but I have been noticing even in my spelldamage gear that my threat lately has been completely unacceptable for some trash content. Even on Prince in our weekly badge gathering Kara I was only pushing around 700-800 TPS which with as much spellhit and spelldmg as i'm itemizing is very bad (yet again further proof prince's hitbox is not applying consecrate).

Yet, while on our ZA run this past week while tanking bear boss in the same set of gear I was pushing upwards of 1.4k TPS on my spikes and atleast 1k solid for most of the fight.

I use all of the standard consumables (wizard oil, spelldmg food, flask) and even a few like runes and nightmare seeds for heavier hitting bosses to augment my survivability.

For my Heavy tanking set I sub in Unwavering Legguards, Leo's Belt, VR's Bracers, and Tuskguard Helm.

What are some recommendations you guys could give me towards itemizing my gear or swapping around my gear that would help me generate more threat while maintaining atleast the survivability I have in my spelldamage set? Also any recommendations on my priority of attaining any new gear would be great too.

Thanks a lot for any help...
~Sanct
'Sanct' - Rise Of Legends

Postby Jorex » Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:50 pm

I'm the MT for my kara raid group and we are clearing it just fine. We should be moving into the 25 mans real soon.

Here is a link to my armory.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Ravencrest&n=Jorex

I currently have 129 badges and will pick up the 100 badge legs as soon as the vendor is out. I was thinking my next peice after the legs should be a belt or slikk's cloak.

Which belt should I get?

Should I have the belt of the guardian made or purchase either iron-tusk girdle or girdle of the protector?

Thanks for the help.
Jorex

Postby Signum » Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:51 pm

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... a&n=Signum

I seem to be riding the line of Uncrushability right now. All the upgrades I am looking at seem to drop me below the magical 102.4% threshold. As it is now, I'm already skirting the line, with my current unbuffed avoidance at 102.407%.

I've played around in Warcrafter, changing out my gems and trinkets, but any changes I do leave me with a few hundred less health and a trivial amount of avoidance in return.

My guild is basically farming Kz for badges, and our guild alliance basically has weekly Gruul/Mag runs. We've only done ZA once, and we got to the Eagle boss. We'll be doing more ZA in the future, but not for a few weeks. I rotate in as a tank for the guild alliance as we do SSC/TK, and we started on Hyjal last week.

So my question is: is this where I should be now? Looking at badge loot, T4 raid instances, and T5 raid instances, I am not really seeing anything I can upgrade to, that won't knock me under the avoidance or defense threshold. Am I missing something?
Signum

Postby Erendis » Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:58 pm

Jorex wrote:I'm the MT for my kara raid group and we are clearing it just fine. We should be moving into the 25 mans real soon.

Here is a link to my armory.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Ravencrest&n=Jorex

I currently have 129 badges and will pick up the 100 badge legs as soon as the vendor is out. I was thinking my next peice after the legs should be a belt or slikk's cloak.

Which belt should I get?

Should I have the belt of the guardian made or purchase either iron-tusk girdle or girdle of the protector?

Thanks for the help.

I'd go with the Slikks cloak as you have an easily attainable upgrade from moroes for your belt. Also Slikks is one of the better tanking cloaks. period. Might as well grab it and then see what you want to save for afterwards.
Erendis
Maintankadonor

Postby Valadus » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:43 pm

Time to laugh it up (no really)

Now aside from pointing out the obvious (Bracers/Boots/One Ring) any recommendations?

Right now for uncrush I'm at 91.9 with DMC:V and 93.9 with Pocket Watch, hoping for boots/bracers from kara this week and saving up badges for some of the other pieces, though I've thought about leveling BSing just for the Red Havoc Boots.

Any quick/easy upgrades to get me to uncrushable relatively quick?

Note: Switching shield out for Exalted SSO shields later today (not the best but I'm still second in line for ALD and SoID)

edit: forgot my armory http://armorylite.com/us/Blackwing+Lair/Valadus ignore the sig it hasn't updated in awhile.

Currently running ret. Back to prot at 80!
Valadus

Postby Erendis » Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:10 pm

Valadus wrote:Time to laugh it up (no really)

Now aside from pointing out the obvious (Bracers/Boots/One Ring) any recommendations?

Right now for uncrush I'm at 91.9 with DMC:V and 93.9 with Pocket Watch, hoping for boots/bracers from kara this week and saving up badges for some of the other pieces, though I've thought about leveling BSing just for the Red Havoc Boots.

Note: Switching shield out for Exalted SSO shields later today (not the best but I'm still second in line for ALD and SoID)

edit: forgot my armory http://armorylite.com/us/Blackwing+Lair/Valadus ignore the sig it hasn't updated in awhile.

[item=29323]Andormu's Tear[/item]
[item=29184]Timewarden's Leggings[/item]
[item=23517]Felsteel Gloves[/item]

These are good starts to improving your gear. They are all easy to obtain since they are rep/crafted.

For drops [item=27529]Figurine of the Colossus[/item] goes a long ways towrads uncrushable.
Erendis
Maintankadonor

Postby Valadus » Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:18 pm

Erendis wrote:
Valadus wrote:Time to laugh it up (no really)

[item=29323]Andormu's Tear[/item]
[item=29184]Timewarden's Leggings[/item]
[item=23517]Felsteel Gloves[/item]

These are good starts to improving your gear. They are all easy to obtain since they are rep/crafted.

For drops [item=27529]Figurine of the Colossus[/item] goes a long ways towrads uncrushable.

Eh can't go for Andormu's tear (I took the healing one since this was originally an alt that was a spare healer for our old guild)

How would I go about gemming the timewardens or felsteel gloves? For avoidance or raw stam?

Currently running ret. Back to prot at 80!
Valadus

Postby BigBlueCheese » Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:24 pm

So I was "running" heroic MgT with a pug. And we kept on wiping. We could not get passed the second boss. Not to mention we wiped on the AoE pull before the first boss. Keep in mind I've cleared it before and gotten some DPS gear (no commendation). I thought it was the healer because he would wait til my health dropped before casting his heal.

I replaced him with a guild member but we continued to wipe because his connection was laggy and the DPS seemed to be slow, at least from what I could tell.

I had stam food buffs and a fortification flask up. And wizard oil on my gavel.

Then the warlock in the party said it was my fault and that I was undergeared for the instance. Which I thought it was wierd cus' I've cleared it before with slightly worse gear (replace current belt with the Sha'tari Waistguard).

So was the warlock right? Was I undergeared for the instance?

*link to armory profile in signature
BigBlueCheese

Postby Mishdorf » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:19 pm

Hi guys, I'm a long time lurker first time poster.

My first character was a mage who I got to 70 then got fed up with not being able to find groups with. I didn't like warrior tanking so I started a pally tank. I've had no real problems tanking from levels 1-70 (I've only respecced once and that was at around level 15).

I recently hit 70 and have been working hard to gear up. Here is my current armoury:

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... &n=Orgaria

Other than the obvious flaws in my sockets (i.e. using the cheap little +9 stam gems and the like), what are the easiest upgrades to get me kara ready? I mean I have been following the stickied gear guide fairly closely, but what I want to know is what people think the fastest way to get me uncrushable is. I have been offtanking kara but even with my 3 shiny new epics I'm still around 10% away from uncrushable (3 more badges and I'll be 5% away when I get my libram).

Also, how do other tankadins get money? I'm broke at the moment after getting myself as kara ready as possible and I still don't have my flying mount. Should I just farm quests on my mage and "twink" the gold?

Cheers,

Mishdorf

EDIT: I tried running heroic slave pens last night and it was a smooth run until we hit the 5 packs which feared. We ended up unable to down Quagmire as well. Am I right in thinking that I'm geared enough to run the simpler heroics?
Mishdorf

Postby NarfJones » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:26 pm

BigBlueCheese wrote:So I was "running" heroic MgT with a pug. And we kept on wiping. We could not get passed the second boss. Not to mention we wiped on the AoE pull before the first boss. Keep in mind I've cleared it before and gotten some DPS gear (no commendation). I thought it was the healer because he would wait til my health dropped before casting his heal.

I replaced him with a guild member but we continued to wipe because his connection was laggy and the DPS seemed to be slow, at least from what I could tell.

I had stam food buffs and a fortification flask up. And wizard oil on my gavel.

Then the warlock in the party said it was my fault and that I was undergeared for the instance. Which I thought it was wierd cus' I've cleared it before with slightly worse gear (replace current belt with the Sha'tari Waistguard).

So was the warlock right? Was I undergeared for the instance?

*link to armory profile in signature

It doesn't appear as though you are too undergeared for it. I would say, though, that you'll need to be in a group of people who really know what they are doing. The lower the quality of your gear, the tighter you need to be running.
NarfJones
Maintankadonor

Postby BigBlueCheese » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:37 pm

Yeah that seems right. I'm getting the chest piece this week so hopefully that'll make me tank better with a crappier group.

Edit: Quick side note. Should I save up for the 2.4 leggings or get the chestguard first? I'm not the main tank right now, if that's an issue.
BigBlueCheese

Gear Check...

Postby melord » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:18 pm

How does my stats and gear rate for SSC/TK?

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... l&n=Melord (link may be cut due to the apostrophe)

I currently have 138 badges for upgrades and working out whats the best plan of attack in terms of upgrading gear.

I was thinking of getting Inscribed Legplates of the Aldor first, and then work it all out from there.
melord

Postby Shamora » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:48 am

So I'm mostly a solo tank (ironic I know), I don't have a guild and generally just run around with my pocket priest doing 5 mans. We just recently started doing heroics. Come this Friday I will be exalted with Shattered Sun Offensive. Of course I'm gonna be getting the shields. With all of that said I was curious if I should pick up [item=34680]Shattered Sun Pendant of Resolve[/item] or not. I currently use [item=29173]Strength of the Untamed[/item]. I should also mention that I am exalted with Aldor. Is there another necklace I should look for, like one of the badge ones, or would [item=34680]Shattered Sun Pendant of Resolve[/item] be my best bet until I get in a guild and start doing Kara and up?
Hearthstone Arena Stats
Server: PVP US Warsong, Horde - <Orbit>
Main: Keondra, Delver of the Vaults, Lvl 90 Assassination Rogue
Shamora

Re: Gear Check...

Postby Questioner » Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:19 am

melord wrote:How does my stats and gear rate for SSC/TK?

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... l&n=Melord (link may be cut due to the apostrophe)

I currently have 138 badges for upgrades and working out whats the best plan of attack in terms of upgrading gear.

I was thinking of getting Inscribed Legplates of the Aldor first, and then work it all out from there.

You are fine. If there are no alternatives, pvp for a weapon upgrade. You will need it soon. I would get the cloak from badges right now, it will last until Sunwell.
<3 Tankadin at Heart.

Not necessarily accurate: Armory
Questioner

PreviousNext

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice