Remove Advertisements

Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests Here)

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Re: Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests H

Postby Thels » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:03 am

Most of the people in my raid squad have gear in the 540s, so they're not relying on me to put out awesome DPS, which might make Stamina a more interesting choice. And yes, it's Dark Animus that's first on the list, if they don't manage to kill it this week while I'm still locked out to another guild.

I've got the chest and legs sitting in my bank, as the bonus felt too insignificant in 10 mans. Might dust them off, valor upgrade them, and squeeze them into my set. They're both 522, tho, compared to my 535 chest and 528 legs :/

Thanks for the advise. I'll probably get the gems cut and carry them around in my bags, just in case. Until then, I'll probably stick to the haste gems.

Though I might go ahead and switch meta-gems nonetheless.
ImageImage
Thels

Postby Harb » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:02 pm

Hi guys,

Would you recommend i just gem the straight haste gems also tossing up between two set Lightning Emperor's Legguards and Lightning Emperor's Handguards or Vulcanodon Gauntlets and Bloodlord's Bloodsoaked Legplates (thunderforged)

Belt is saying Abandoned Zandalari Goreplate (thunderforged) over Reinforced Spiritplate Girdle

Advice would be welcome

Thanks,

Harb
Harb

Postby Thels » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:11 am

ImageImage
Thels

Postby Thels » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:18 am

Depending on how much Hit and Expertise you already have on gear, it's probably best to use Haste/Expertise, Haste/Hit and Haste/Stamina gems to meet Stamina/Hit/Expertise/Haste/Mastery socket bonuses. Hard to say without looking at your armory.

Those pants from Horridon are really juicy. I'd probably try to squeeze them into my gear somehow. The 2 set is not really worth it, if you have such awesome offspec pieces.

That said, the tier gloves might flat out beat the Oondasta gloves, if you can't burn the Hit. If you can burn the hit, it would be a tight match. I'd probably stick to the gloves in case you get a second tier piece down the road.

Crit ain't really useful, unless Berserk timers are a real issue to your guild. Since it's TF, the armor and stamina are slightly higher, but not noticeably so. I'd probably use the Rep girdle.

All in all, hard to tell without the bigger picture.
ImageImage
Thels

Postby Fetzie » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:10 am

If you want to get the 2piece and not the 4p T15 bonus, you should aim for Prot-tier helmet+shoulders, ret-tier chest, Primordius gloves and Durumu or horridon trousers (durumu's are preferable due to having expertise natively).
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Anub'arak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby Thels » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:41 am

That really depends on how much expertise you already have. Especially with the VP trinket, you might have Expertise issues. The Horridon legs never dropped for me, and I'm using the Durumu ones, but I'd rather have the Horridon ones.

Also, while helm and shoulders would be the most optimized, that assumes you have all the pieces you want available to you. If this is the best you got for gloves right now, you're probably better off with say shoulders and gloves for tier, and the craftable ret helmet.
ImageImage
Thels

Postby Harb » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:13 am

Thank you for the advice below is a link to my armoury:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/p ... u/advanced

I am hit(7.5%) and expertise(15%) capped. We are currently working on Megara in the group i am running with only in normals at present.

Thanks again
Harb

Postby Thels » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:27 am

Ouch, that weapon!

If you're passing on Str socket bonuses, you should seriously pass on the Dodge socket bonus in your gloves and go 320 haste there.

You're already over hit cap and have to reforge away from it. That makes the Vulcanodon Gauntlets pretty weak. Stick with your Tier gloves for now.

For the other two, what's the issue? If you die often, then go for 2 tier and take the dodge belt. If mobs die too slow, then go for the haste pants and perhaps take the crit belt. Switch them out where needed, equipping the "survival" pieces on new bosses, and switching to the "DPS" pieces as your team is getting accustomed to the fight. :)

Also, once your guild starts gathering enough Spirits, try to nip a couple. There's few classes where the craftables are so amazing as for paladins.
ImageImage
Thels

Postby Fetzie » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:42 am

Especially the crafted boots upgraded 2/2 are on par with the Ra'den boots.
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby Sagara » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:37 am

Ok, link is down here, I've re-done my gearing for an aggressive haste plan, while I'm applying for very (9+Hc) advanced guilds (both 10s and 25s)

I've been entering a debate on my rings and neck, where I currently have access to:
Neck: Necklace of the Terra-Cotta Vanquisher, Moonjade Necklace and Striker's Battletags
Ring: Jin'rokh's Soulcrystal, Band of the Shado-Pan Assault and Durumu's Severed Tentacle

Considering my rather low expertise, I'm thinking about sporting the Moonjade Necklace, Jin'rokh's and the Shado-pan rings. So the first question is what's your opinion on that choice.

The second question is I was told to swap over to Striker's Battletag and not bother to regem to cap expertise, because I'd be so close to cap anyway. I've got a hard time accepting the concept, and I wanted some opinions on that.

Thanks!
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
Sagara

Postby Fetzie » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:43 am

If you can pool holy power properly, then being slightly under the cap is fine. At that point, all you are doing is removing the last 1% parry chance for CS as J and AS cannot be parried.

Fetzie

Postby Sagara » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:14 am

'mmkay. In short, we're gambling that that specific % won't come often enough to gimp us and buy some more haste in exchange. If you don't mind me pushing the thought - why is there a difference between the 15th percent and the 14th? And the 13th? And so forth? Why don't we gear Hit -> softcap Expertise -> Haste -> hardcap Expertise? I'm not trying to contradict, just deepening the understanding behind the choices.

Sagara

Postby Thels » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:37 am

Expertise flat out beats haste for both DPS and Survivability!

If you have an open socket, and you could put an Expertise gem in there without going over the Expertise cap, that is flat out better than using a full Haste gem. However, if you only need like 20 more expertise rating, then you might start considering using 320 Haste, rather than 160Exp/160Haste, since it would count as a 20Exp/160Haste one, which I think is what Fetzie's getting at. However, considering reforging can usually get you just above the Expertise cap, that's not really an issue.

If you have issues getting to the 15%, take a couple more socket bonuses. For example, the boots have a decent stat (Mastery), so using Expertise/Haste gems there to get to the cap is certainly worth it, if you're struggling to get to the 15%. Perhaps in the shoulders as well, as it's 120 secondary stats for only a single hybrid gem.
ImageImage
Thels

Postby Sagara » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:45 am

Break time! I've just got two completely opposed views on the same question. Having been working on my own Simcraft, I'd be of a mind of following Thel's advice (my original opinion), but I'd really want to hear more as to why "the last bit of expertise" is less important to Fetzie and others like him.

In short, I *know* I will be called out on hard capping expertise at the cost of haste, and I want to do a dry run of the conversation I'll have.

Sagara

Postby Thels » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:14 am

In the end, a 100% is something you can rely on. If you pool 5 HoPo, then wait for a generator to come up, you can freely SotR, knowing that the generator will push you back up to 3 HoPo, allowing you to SotR or WoG when required.

If you're not capping hit and expertise, there's always the chance of the generator missing, and you being stuck with 2 HoPo for the next 3 GCDs.
ImageImage
Thels

PreviousNext

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice