Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests Here)

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Sabindeus, Aergis, lythac, Digren, majiben

Re: Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests H

Postby Fetzie » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:23 am

I use AD when I need it, but I can't remember the last time I was wishing it only had a 2 minute cooldown instead of 3.
Fetzie | Protection/Holy Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Former Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Image
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
User avatar
Fetzie
 
Posts: 2024
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:43 am
Location: Karlsruhe, Germany

Re: Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests H

Postby protadinXX » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:39 pm

Hey guys, long time member, first post. Looking for advice, as I have a bunch of purchases coming up in the next few weeks.

To start, here's my char: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/l ... n/advanced

I'm starting up non-LFR raiding this week with MSV/HOF, but will continue with LFR, obviously. I'm following Noxxic's stat priority here, so if that's a bad idea, please let me know:

Control + Threat
Stamina > Melee Hit (7.5%) > Expertise (15%) > Haste > Mastery > Parry > Dodge

I'm going to just assume I won't get any loot from raiding and focus on what I know I can get. That way, I can chop things off the list if I do get those slots from raiding.

Blue gear needed to replace ASAP, in order of need from highest to lowest:

Helm > Belt > Cloak > Ring > Bracers

My plan for replacements:

Helm: [Yi's Least Favorite Helmet]
Belt: [Immovable Waistplate]
Cloak: [Yi's Cloak of Courage]
Ring: [Alani's Inflexible Ring]
Bracers: [Battle Shadow Bracers]

I mean, those really seem to be the best I can get from vendors, so I don't know that there's much to discuss there. If anyone has suggestions for anything to change or a different order to plan to purchase those items in, I'm all ears. What I'll plan on doing, though, is using my extra rolls on the next item lower on the list from the item I'll be able to buy that week.

Thanks for your time guys, have a great week!
protadinXX
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:30 pm

Re: Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests H

Postby Klaudandus » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:41 pm

One quick upgrade that should be easy to get, 450 Helm from the AH =P

Perhaps, my biggest concern is the amount of dodge/parry gems you have in your gear

And if you finish the klaxxi's questline, you should get a free 489 Ring, which is close to BiS for someone doing normals, and the golden lotus one gives you a free neck.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
Image
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
User avatar
Klaudandus
 
Posts: 9362
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:08 am
Location: Texas' Armpit

Re: Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests H

Postby protadinXX » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:04 pm

Thanks, Klaudandus. I just found that klaxxi ring, myself. I'm not far from exalted and have all the guys summoned, so I should be able to get that ring this week, knocking that one off the list. I'm pretty far from GL exalted, but I have commendation, so I'll keep working on that and should be a good upgrade.

Thanks again.
protadinXX
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:30 pm

Re: Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests H

Postby econ21 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:01 am

Klaudandus wrote:One quick upgrade that should be easy to get, 450 Helm from the AH =P


I usually go for Honour helms as the quickest failsafe way to get a meta-gem. You get about 900 honour for your first victory at Tol Barad with the weekly quest and a lot for other victories.
econ21
 
Posts: 1217
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:53 am

Re: Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests H

Postby Klaudandus » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:24 am

econ21 wrote:
Klaudandus wrote:One quick upgrade that should be easy to get, 450 Helm from the AH =P


I usually go for Honour helms as the quickest failsafe way to get a meta-gem. You get about 900 honour for your first victory at Tol Barad with the weekly quest and a lot for other victories.


Hadn't thought of that =P
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
Image
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
User avatar
Klaudandus
 
Posts: 9362
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:08 am
Location: Texas' Armpit

Re: Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests H

Postby Klaudandus » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:40 pm

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/f ... dus/simple

I can either buy http://www.wowhead.com/item=93264 or purchase 3 VP upgrades to my gear -- what do I do?

And if I go for the VP ugprades -- which upgrades?
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
Image
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
User avatar
Klaudandus
 
Posts: 9362
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:08 am
Location: Texas' Armpit

Re: Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests H

Postby Fetzie » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:40 pm

Klaudandus wrote:http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/feathermoon/Klaudandus/simple

I can either buy http://www.wowhead.com/item=93264 or purchase 3 VP upgrades to my gear -- what do I do?

And if I go for the VP ugprades -- which upgrades?

I'd hold off on the boots, another two bosses and you can loot http://www.wowhead.com/item=86201

Out of the items you currently have equipped, I would upgrade the chest. With the boost to your hit and expertise you should be able to swap a hit/haste gem for a stamina/haste (or a pure stamina gem if you don't mind losing the STR socket bonus).

You could always buy the stamina trinket from the ShadoPan for 1750 VP.
Fetzie | Protection/Holy Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Former Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Image
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
User avatar
Fetzie
 
Posts: 2024
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:43 am
Location: Karlsruhe, Germany

Re: Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests H

Postby Klaudandus » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:10 pm

the problem is that we are still stuck on garalon =/
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
Image
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
User avatar
Klaudandus
 
Posts: 9362
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:08 am
Location: Texas' Armpit

Re: Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests H

Postby Sagara » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:08 am

Garalon is pure technique and will go down soon enough. Don't spend VP on anything else but upgrades. BTW, is there ANYTHING non-heroic that can beat your belt? Because that's be a safe long-term, if somewhat non-optimal short-term, bet.
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
User avatar
Sagara
 
Posts: 3272
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:04 am
Location: Belgium

Re: Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests H

Postby Fetzie » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:36 am

Sagara wrote:Garalon is pure technique and will go down soon enough. Don't spend VP on anything else but upgrades. BTW, is there ANYTHING non-heroic that can beat your belt? Because that's be a safe long-term, if somewhat non-optimal short-term, bet.


The belt from the first boss in HoF has 858 Expertise Rating (without a 320 gem in the prismatic) before upgrading, I'd prefer that one to Klaud's. The second boss in HoF drops a belt with Mastery and Haste Rating and two sockets.
Fetzie | Protection/Holy Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Former Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Image
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
User avatar
Fetzie
 
Posts: 2024
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:43 am
Location: Karlsruhe, Germany

Re: Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests H

Postby Sagara » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:59 am

Got the Expertise belt off Imperial Vizier, and I'm really wondering if the ease to reach the EXP cap would offset the loss in pure stats.
Although, the EXP cap isn't reached yet. Like I said, it's long term vs the short term of easier exp cap reaching.
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
User avatar
Sagara
 
Posts: 3272
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:04 am
Location: Belgium

Re: Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests H

Postby Klaudandus » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:09 am

The Element of Forum Hyperbole
Image
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
User avatar
Klaudandus
 
Posts: 9362
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:08 am
Location: Texas' Armpit

Re: Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests H

Postby theckhd » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:10 am

Save your VP and upgrade the belt, IMO. Your boots are sad, but you'll replace them soon enough.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 6.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
User avatar
theckhd
Moderator
 
Posts: 6211
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:06 pm
Location: Harrisburg, PA

Re: Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests H

Postby Klaudandus » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:38 am

spend the vp upgrading the heroic belt then?
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
Image
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
User avatar
Klaudandus
 
Posts: 9362
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:08 am
Location: Texas' Armpit

Re: Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests H

Postby Sagara » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:44 am

Sounds like a smart move. We got any data on the ilvl of Thunder Throne epics? If it's anywhere around 515, you could probably stick with the upgraded Belt until heroic T15.
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
User avatar
Sagara
 
Posts: 3272
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:04 am
Location: Belgium

Re: Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests H

Postby Gab » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:53 am

Gab wrote:Not sure where you're at with rep but I'd strongly reccomend that instead of upgrades you grab the liquid courage trinket from SP.


I'm going to go ahead and suggest it again... Liquid Courage IMO. Best purchase I have made so far this expansion and quite possibly the coolest name for a trinket ever. A trinket with a controlable, and awesome, on-use vs a crap proc and ilvl 471 to 489 >>>>> Upgrading an item 8 ilvls.

Although in my gear list that belt is BiS so you should upgrade that too, after purchasing the trinket of course.
User avatar
Gab
 
Posts: 583
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:54 am
Location: Wish you were here

Re: Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests H

Postby Jadhzia » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:16 pm

Hello,

At the moment here is my character: Mr. Robot and armory.

I'm wondering where to spend my valor points. ;) As for reputation items, the belt and ring from Domination Offensive seem to be very small gains, so I should probably stick to upgrading what I have.

- I have no access to heroic gear, as my guild sticks to 10-man normal mode, where our progress is slow.
- I have the raid finder chest token, but didn't use it since it's so inferior to my current chest piece. I have no other T14 item.
- Should I first finish upgrading my chest item, since it has both hit and expertise? Then procede with Kilrak?

Thanks for any input.
Jadhzia, Protection Paladin, EU-Sargeras
Jadhzia
 
Posts: 63
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:42 am

Re: Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests H

Postby econ21 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:24 am

Jadhzia wrote:As for reputation items, the belt and ring from Domination Offensive seem to be very small gains, so I should probably stick to upgrading what I have.


I bought the belt. You have a very well itemised LFR belt, but even so, if you use the control/haste weighting scheme for AMR, it would be an upgrade of about 1000 points for you. Not stellar, but not "very small" either. The ring, I agree with you, the upgrade seems small.

Personally, I'm not sure about spending VPs on the upgrade system until the picture for 5.2 becomes clearer (will VPs be reset? will new VP gear be accessible to "behind the curve" raiders?) so I am probably going to hoard VPs until I reach the 3000 cap. You could upgrade the chest, as it is very well itemised and you have already partially upgraded it. On the other hand, you'll probably want to swap for the 4pc bonus if you get it or indeed for T15. Nothing lasts forever, though, so I would not be too deterred by that. (You've been very unlucky to just have one tier piece - have you been running the Sha world boss every week?)

Upgrading a weapon seems less of priority for us than most specs, if you read what Theck wrote on his Sacred Duty blog about VP upgrades.
econ21
 
Posts: 1217
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:53 am

Re: Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests H

Postby Klaudandus » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:43 am

Jadhzia wrote:Hello,

At the moment here is my character: Mr. Robot and armory.

I'm wondering where to spend my valor points. ;) As for reputation items, the belt and ring from Domination Offensive seem to be very small gains, so I should probably stick to upgrading what I have.

- I have no access to heroic gear, as my guild sticks to 10-man normal mode, where our progress is slow.
- I have the raid finder chest token, but didn't use it since it's so inferior to my current chest piece. I have no other T14 item.
- Should I first finish upgrading my chest item, since it has both hit and expertise? Then procede with Kilrak?

Thanks for any input.


Any luck with sha? In my two tanks, i was able to get the t14 gloves and legs prolly within 6 resets.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
Image
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
User avatar
Klaudandus
 
Posts: 9362
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:08 am
Location: Texas' Armpit

Re: Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests H

Postby Jadhzia » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:45 am

econ21 wrote:
Jadhzia wrote:As for reputation items, the belt and ring from Domination Offensive seem to be very small gains, so I should probably stick to upgrading what I have.


I bought the belt. You have a very well itemised LFR belt, but even so, if you use the control/haste weighting scheme for AMR, it would be an upgrade of about 1000 points for you. Not stellar, but not "very small" either. The ring, I agree with you, the upgrade seems small.


You're right. I must have misread Mr. Robot, I thought it was a much smaller gain than that, like 50-100 points. Thanks for the pointer.

econ21 wrote:(You've been very unlucky to just have one tier piece - have you been running the Sha world boss every week?)


Klaudandus wrote:Any luck with sha? In my two tanks, i was able to get the t14 gloves and legs prolly within 6 resets.


Unfortunately, I've been just as unlucky as it looks. ;) The 2-piece T14 bonus doesn't seem too great, and the 4-piece is very far on the horizon, hence my questions here about using my valor points.

econ21 wrote:Upgrading a weapon seems less of priority for us than most specs, if you read what Theck wrote on his Sacred Duty blog about VP upgrades.


Yep, because our only attack that relies on weapon dps is Crusader Strike, I remember. I thought about upgrading the weapon because I have my legendary gem inside it, so I'm probably going to keep it for quite a while. The other options would be chest, helm and legs. I'll upgrade the chest, but my helm isn't great and I'm not too sure about the legs.

So, after buying the Domination belt and upgrading the chest (which will take two weeks), what do you think I should upgrade?
Jadhzia, Protection Paladin, EU-Sargeras
Jadhzia
 
Posts: 63
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:42 am

Re: Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests H

Postby econ21 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:39 pm

Jadhzia wrote:So, after buying the Domination belt and upgrading the chest (which will take two weeks), what do you think I should upgrade?


I see your logic about the weapon. The other option is upgrading the VP stamina trinket - a big lump of stamina with a nice on use effect, I can see holding onto that for a while.
econ21
 
Posts: 1217
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:53 am

Re: Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests H

Postby suikoji » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:15 pm

Hi guys, this is the first time since im playing world of warcraft that i ask advice on my gear, i have read all guides possible from many sites and i choose to follow the control haste build (hit/expertise cap > haste > mastery = avoidance) because i love the active mitigation but the thing is that im playing since december 21th and im too much confused, and getting stressed because i feel that i dont know my character even if i know the theory/rotations etc.

Actually im 476 ilvl (as i said, i have been playing from not so long) and this is my armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/r ... tun/simple and as you can see i have 6/6 MSV and 2/6 HoF so thats not pretty much progression (i think), i have been raiding 10 man but now we are changing to 25 man so im getting nerveous so i hope you can help me guys

so lets get to the point, can you please give me some of ur opinions of how i am doing it?, what you could suggest i could improve?, sometimes i feel too much squeeshy (4th fight LFR HoF), dunno why so have i missed something?
suikoji
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:04 pm

Re: Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests H

Postby econ21 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:46 pm

suikoji wrote:so lets get to the point, can you please give me some of ur opinions of how i am doing it?, what you could suggest i could improve?, sometimes i feel too much squeeshy (4th fight LFR HoF), dunno why so have i missed something?


I don't see a problem with your gearing. You could try gemming stamina (following AskMrRobot's control/haste setting) but that's controversial advice. To see how you are doing, you'd probably need to link a log of your raid (check out World of Logs).

I would not be too discouraged by your progression. You are more progressed than me! Progression is a collective effort, determined by your guild. There's not much one person alone can do to change it (short of changing guild).

Also, I would not worry about being squishy on the 4th fight of LFR HoF. I doubt that's a problem with you or your gearing. I went splat there just before the reset. I think the problem was the healers did not dispel the haste buff that the menders were giving, so the healers went oom and me and the other tank just kept going splat in quick succession until there were no combat rezzes left. I ended up quitting the group (I was on a alt). Just after the reset, when the player pool is SO much better, that fight was a breeze for my main - I think because a shadow priest kept casting mass dispel.
econ21
 
Posts: 1217
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:53 am

Re: Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests H

Postby suikoji » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:19 am

Ty for your answer i think i can relax and see what happens, if anything goes bad ill be back here again
suikoji
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:04 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest