Remove Advertisements

Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests Here)

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Re: Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests H

Postby Rhiannon » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:38 pm

theckhd wrote:
Rhiannon wrote:Zon'ozz and Yor'Sahk rooms feature 25% run speed buff which doesn't stack with PoJ fyi.

Huh, really? I've never noticed that. Do you happen to know what it's called?

It doesn't appear as a buff, just if you check your run speed in character sheet when in those rooms it'll show 125% rather than 115%.
Rhiannon

Postby lythac » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:33 am

Rhiannon wrote:
theckhd wrote:
Rhiannon wrote:Zon'ozz and Yor'Sahk rooms feature 25% run speed buff which doesn't stack with PoJ fyi.

Huh, really? I've never noticed that. Do you happen to know what it's called?

It doesn't appear as a buff, just if you check your run speed in character sheet when in those rooms it'll show 125% rather than 115%.

I know this one!

It is called Speed.

Found on MMO-Database by this search - http://db.mmo-champion.com/spells/?id__ ... l__aura=31 not sure how you search for run speed on wowhead.
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
lythac

Postby palapower » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:26 am

Hi !
I am very satisfied with my setup right now, but i need some advices on my gear, since last night i noticed some problems with keeping aggro on mobs at Firelands.
Im exactly 102.45% capped with Raid Buffs (Druid/DK or Warr Buff) and Mastery/Stamina Food ... all carefully calculated through chardev(dot)org (amazing site) like some of you guys pointed me to use.
Question is: Should i reforge or gem for threat ? Is there anything should i change ?
Thanks !

Sorry, my armory : us.battle.net/wow/en/character/goldrinn/Palapower/advanced
Last edited by palapower on Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
palapower

Postby Maklesh » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:04 am

You shouldn't ever have to gem or reforge for threat.
With the (recent-ish) changes to threat the only time threat could (or should) be a problem is at the start of a fight. If you're having problems there try to start with divine plea popped and wing for some initial burst threat.

If you're just having problem with generating threat in general you can check out Thecks post about TPS at MATLAB TPS 4.0 (there's a tldr summary at the bottom of the post if you don't like numbers ;))

If that doesnt help just ask the dps to chill!
Maklesh

Postby palapower » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:12 am

Thanks for the answer !
I will check the Teck's TPS link and read about it !
You are right about the pull situation, i dont have a problem there, since i pull DP/Inq/AW/Exor !
The problem start when i have more than 1 mob, then i start to loose aggro very quickly.
Well, anyways im happy to read the problem isnt with my gem/reforge strategy.
One more question: Is it related to my low DPS ? I think im doing (last checked) about 16k DPS on Bosses.
Thanks !
palapower

Postby Schroom » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:45 am

maklesh is about right, you shouldn't reforge/gem for threat, but if your gear is good enough that tank survival is no longer a problem, and your healers are ok with it. you can gem reforge for more Tank DPS. they can be quite precious, especially in hardmodes.
Schroom

Postby palapower » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:14 am

Actually im fine with my gear, and normally i would not reforge/gem for threat.
The problem arrise when yesterday i saw so many aggro looses. So, the question came in my mind.
But no its clear ! Thank you !
palapower

Postby econ21 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:24 pm

palapower wrote:The problem start when i have more than 1 mob, then i start to loose aggro very quickly.

Yes, I've started to experience this: most obviously on the 3 ooze trash packs before Yorshaj. It's common for one to start waivering and thinking about going for another raid member (tidyplates makes it obvious). I think it's largely because I have glyphed my shield to be single target. We don't consecrate much. HW is a damp squib and HotR is ok but perhaps does not compete with the dps. The dps's output is scaling with gear whereas our AOE threat is not so much (as we tend to take low damage and have low vengeance in AOE).

What I've started to do now to compensate is tab targetting, something I've never had to do on my pally before. I just rotate across the 3 oozes - a bit of white damage or better a shield to the face is enough to lock them down. But relying solely on splash damage is not doing it for me anymore.
econ21

Postby Schroom » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:31 am

yes, I know the problem on the oozes, even on exp softcap. tabbing through will resolve the issue tho.
Schroom

Postby Harb » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:59 pm

just a quick question on trinkets for tanking
Here is my armoury link - http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/p ... u/advanced
Hi All just wondering what you other pally tanks would swap out.

I have just received Indomitable Pride and would like some advice on which trinket to switch out Soulshifter Vortex or Fire of the Deep

i was thinking Soulshifter Vortex so keeping one stam one avoidance trinket. What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance
Harb

Postby econ21 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:55 pm

Harb wrote:i was thinking Soulshifter Vortex so keeping one stam one avoidance trinket.

The proc on the Vortex is wasted on us, so I'd agree with you.

I've seen highly geared palatanks using the Vortex as a chunk of stamina, as they don't need a mastery trinket to be block capped, but at your gear level, I suspect it's not the most efficient place to get stamina (as it comes at the cost of a wasted proc).

The on use ability of Fire of the Deep is a nice additional CD by contrast.
econ21

Postby Katzie » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:15 am

Hi all!!! I've been tanking on my warrior since Vanilla, and just made a paladin at the end of Ulduar, and have used this site and EJ a lot to make sure I am top notch for tanking. Now I am just a bit casual, but I do want to get into a DS10 run.

With that said, here is my armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/w ... zie/simple

I am wondering if I can tank DS10 regular all 8 bosses fine. I am only CTC capped when I get full stacks of my trinket up. Also, I have 2 stam trinkets in my bags that I don't use because if I do use them, my CTC will be severely gimped.

I would also like suggestions on improving my gear. :) (I don't have the exalted shoulder enchant though I know that)
Katzie

Postby Fenrìr » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:27 am

@Katzie

I feel that seeing changes is a lot better than words.

http://chardev.org/?profile=360455

I did not change any gear as I do not know what you may have available to you while at work. I do recommend trying to get the Tier Helm and using the Morloot shoulders over Tier; but at the 384-397 ilvl range, the tier shoulders may be better than the tier gloves (I'll have to check on that).

You may want to start getting your hands on a different trinket over Resolve of Undying. I personally do not like it and feel that it can potentially be a killer if you do find yourself not hitting something for 10 seconds. I like having static trinkets with on use abilities if they have an ability to use as it's something I can control for the moments I need it.

I would really work on your TB rep for the Mirror of Broken Images and attempt to get into some Firelands clears for Avenger's of Hyjal Rep for the ring/trinket as well. Not to mention, some of the gear from Firelands will help you such as Scales of Life, Spidersilk Spindle.
Fenrìr
Maintankadonor

Postby Katzie » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:11 pm

@ Fenrir

Awesome!! Thank you for the suggestions! I am wondering if grinding all that rep for the TB trinket is worth it, most likely I'd only be getting it for the Use effect, but how much is 400 resist really? I know a lot of the fights in DS10 have magic damage, but would I be using that trinket over say the Spidersilk Spindle? For some reason, I have overlooked that trinket somehow, and to me, that is my main priority right now.

About the shoulders, I will take you up on that. Hopefully I can get in a DS10 group and those shoulders drop, then I can use a token for the set piece.

And yeah, Morchok will be bad if I use the Resolve trinket, since unless I bubble and stay in the blood, I'll lose those stacks. Good insight.

Also, I am assuming regemming will net me more stamina? I see tanks that have less gear than me have more HP than I do. I always think I am doing something wrong.
Katzie

Postby Fenrìr » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:54 am

400 resist is quite a bit on Yor'sahj's Void Bolts and Warlord's Physic Drain. Do not underestimate those cause they can kill you if the healers lax or you get a back streak of hits.

You may not be doing anything wrong when comparing to other tanks. It all resides in your decisions and how you/your healers feel when you're tanking and taking damage. That's what I like about Chardev, I can adjust gems/reforges quickly and see the changes to how they relate to the buffs I know I have in a raid.

My go to trinkets for almost every fight in DS is Heroic Scales of Life and Heroic Spidersilk Spindle (mostly because I have yet to see Indom Pride >,<).
Fenrìr
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice