Remove Advertisements

Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests Here)

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Re: Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests H

Postby palapower » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:57 am

Hi guys !
I need some advice in gemming and on my gear.

I tested my CTC unbuffed and im currently on 102.42 (macro scripting to check). But i tested on LFR raid with Buffs and i got about 104.8 !

I tested some gems combinations and im cant use all Epic, mainly because i dont have money for those :).

I found a new core for testing and i need help to get better of my char. Our server is not so much active, so we are in DS normal progression yet.

Also, gemming for no Socket Bonus make sense right ? Since im going for Mastery then Stamina.I think something is wrong with my Dodge Parry, its hard to get both balanced at same %. Maybe its because the Socket Bonus.

http://armorylite.com/us/goldrinn/palapower
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/g ... wer/simple
Thanks !
palapower

Postby Era » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:25 am

Armoury is down, so I can't really see your character atm. So for now, here's three videos you might consider watching! They're a bit outdated (made during the BoT/BWD era I believe), but the idea is mostly the same.

CTC cap theory: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXEPKURzXdQ
Gemming theory: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6r6RinPHjQ
Reforging thory: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDpVXEn6vdc
Last edited by Era on Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Ask stupid questions. Growth is fuelled by desire and innocence. Assess the answer,
not the question. Imagine learning throughout your life at the rate of an infant."
Era

Postby Schroom » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:44 am

I tested my CTC unbuffed and im currently on 102.42

But i tested on LFR raid with Buffs and i got about 104.8 !

seems quite logical to me to get more CTC raidbuffed than unbuffed? where is your question?

to get the most out of it I use RAWR and play around with reforging and gems until I'm Satisfied. you could try it out.

another "easier but less complex" alternative would be chardev.
Schroom

Postby Dibdib » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:54 am

palapower wrote:Hi guys !
I need some advice in gemming and on my gear.

I tested my CTC unbuffed and im currently on 102.42 (macro scripting to check). But i tested on LFR raid with Buffs and i got about 104.8 !

I tested some gems combinations and im cant use all Epic, mainly because i dont have money for those :).

I found a new core for testing and i need help to get better of my char. Our server is not so much active, so we are in DS normal progression yet.

Also, gemming for no Socket Bonus make sense right ? Since im going for Mastery then Stamina.I think something is wrong with my Dodge Parry, its hard to get both balanced at same %. Maybe its because the Socket Bonus.

http://armorylite.com/us/goldrinn/palapower
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/g ... wer/simple
Thanks !

Sounds like you could possibly consider shedding a little mastery and replacing it with something else. Anything that takes you over 102.4% with your usual buffs is essentially wasted. You could then look at converting it to stamina, or hit/exp depending on your other stats and what you want to do with it.

How much you have to play with really depends on what groups you're usually in, and which buffs you can rely on having. A good starting point, for example, might be aiming for 102.4% with just Kings/Wild and a food buff but that's really up to you.

Personally, if I was in your shoes I'd consider maybe swapping some of your mastery gems for mastery/stam ones for a little more effective health (but obviously not too many to go under 102.4%).
Dibdib

Postby Klaudandus » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:49 am

Schroom wrote:
I tested my CTC unbuffed and im currently on 102.42

But i tested on LFR raid with Buffs and i got about 104.8 !

seems quite logical to me to get more CTC raidbuffed than unbuffed? where is your question?

to get the most out of it I use RAWR and play around with reforging and gems until I'm Satisfied. you could try it out.

another "easier but less complex" alternative would be chardev.

I find it easier to play with Chardev.org -- it also allows you to toggle which buffs you have present so you can see how your ctc looks depending on which buffs you have on (kings, flasks, food, raid buffs)
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Hrobertgar » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:25 am

I also find it difficult to get enough dodge to balance parry, but getting as clsoe as you reasonably can is fine if you are CTC capped. I would suggest since you are a bit over cap raidbuffed, that you consider re-gemming for socket bonuses for 'free' stats, or depending on your trinkets pick up a stam trinket.
Never Pug a random Troll Heroic, always wait for the guild group.

Hrobearina - 85 Healer - space goat
Hrobertgar - 85 Tank - human
Hrobernia - 85 Arcane - human
Hrobanka - 85 BM - elf
Hrobertgar

Postby Schroom » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:11 am

I find it easier to play with Chardev.org -- it also allows you to toggle which buffs you have present so you can see how your ctc looks depending on which buffs you have on (kings, flasks, food, raid buffs

same things are easy doable wirth rawr. as I said you can do everything in rawr you can also do in chardev, but you can also do more.

allthough chardev is easier to use.

I just prefer rawr (also because of the addon and the exe possibility), but can't argue about taste I guess ;-)
Schroom

Postby Klaudandus » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:20 am

i got a brand new beefy machine, and it turns to molases whenever i want to run rawr
---
Klaudandus

Postby Schroom » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:58 am

mh strange never had any problem running it. not at home nor at work.
Schroom

Postby Klaudandus » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:09 am

I am not the only one that has experienced that.
---
Klaudandus

Postby palapower » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:48 pm

Hi guys !
Thanks for the answers and sorry about some confusion of my part, im brazilian and still learning English.

Schroom: I know sounds like obvious get buffed, maybe my question confused you sorry ! I was trying to say that for sure i was doing something wrong with gems and getting over CTC.

I will test for sure Chardev and Rawr (which i didn`t know both).
palapower

Postby Commonmind » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:23 am

Just looking for some general advice here. I'm trying to push for more stam, while keeping my CTC at the required limit. Obviously I could shave a bit more Mastery and count on raid buffs alone to bring me above cap, but I like knowing I am at 102.4 after Kings and food (Lavascale Minestrone) -- I feel more comfortable knowing I can always get there myself.

That being said, I would like to refocus my gems and reforges as I want to start pushing my guild through heroics and would like the extra health pool to give my healers more breathing room. I'm currently at 102.4 with self buffs, at around 199k health before raid buffs. I have many of the required trinkets for DS (save a normal Spindle instead of the heroic, and have not yet been lucky enough to grab a Pride). I also have some LFR pieces as I have missed several drops in normal modes, and I realize fixing this issue alone will probably quell a lot of my concerns. My healers, thankfully, say I am easy to heal, and I am self-aware enough to know that I'm a solid raid tank, but if there's anything I can do to improve progression and my own (or other members') survivability, I would like to make that happen.

My character name is Commonmind, and I'm on the Bleeding Hollow server.

I've been a MT in raiding guilds for years, but my extremely demanding work schedule (I'm a business owner) has made it difficult for me to invest the time required in finding out much of this info on my own, so I sincerely appreciate any tips or advice.

Thanks!
Commonmind

Postby Cowmmunion » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:22 am

Your shoulders, hands, boots, and one ring have no mastery. I'd recommend reforging out of that avoidance and into mastery. This would allow you to replace some of your mastery gems with stamina gems. Also, your parry/dodge are unbalanced - at minimum reforge a bit of parry into dodge.

Feeling more 'comfortable' getting to the CTC cap yourself isn't a great reason, IMO, to go over the CTC cap in a raid. If you want to push the heroic modes, figure out what buffs you can count on and plan for those. You have no reason to be CTC capped for running 5 mans - you outgear those so hard at this point. You are essentially throwing away a few thousand health to feel 'more comfortable'.

The foundations of courage are a beautifully itemized piece of legs, with a fabulous selection of sockets. Unfortunately, the 4-piece bonus is even better. Properly used, divine guardian is huge in dragon soul, and if you aren't using it to the point where that 2 minute cooldown is huge, you aren't using it nearly enough. You really need to wear the tier legs and get that bonus. On Morchok and Yorsahj (the two first fights you'll be doing in heroic mode) it's huge. Well, it's huge on the others too, but you'll notice it immediately.
Cowmmunion

Postby Commonmind » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:11 am

Thanks for the advice Cow. I actually do keep the t13 legs in my bags for the four piece bonus, which I use situationally (and will use more frequently as we push through heroics). As for the extra CTC, I will take the dive and move some things around -- you're right, of course, and I already knew this myself to some extent. I'd like to say my logic here was that our core group has been going through a lot of changes and comps weren't reliable (since about the first of the year), but I already knew this wasn't sound logic, by any means, and our group is leveling out again.

Which gems do you recommend to fill up those yellow slots? Regal Elven's? (with some smart reforging into avoidance to maintain DR?)

Thanks again.
Commonmind

PreviousNext

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice