Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests Here)

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

How far?

Postby puppies » Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:04 am

Hi,

Guild are starting to push into Hyjal and thinking about BT - I dont get to raid too often due to RL but at the moment I'm still the only full time prot specced pala in the guild. Question is based on current gear how far do you think I can tnak thorugh MH and BT?

Links are current with no buffs

http://armorylite.com/eu/stormreaver/puppies/
http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Stormreaver&n=Puppies

Puppies
Image
puppies
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:12 am
Location: Ireland

Postby Shayna » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:54 am

Hi!

My friends want me to tank heroics for them, but to be honest I'm not sure if my gear is up for it.
I've tanked HC Ramparts, Blood Furnace and Mechanar so far, no real problems, but I'm afraid I'm gonna get a real beating in any harder heroics.
What do I need to improve, and how?
http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet ... e&n=Shayna

(My signature is NOT up to date.)
User avatar
Shayna
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:04 am

Postby Kelaan » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:23 am

Guillex wrote:(If) You're sitting at 102.4%, but are still 489 defense... You're gonna get critted in raids, bar none.


You are? Wouldn't the crits get pushed off the table as well as the crushes? I had thought that uncrushable implied uncrittable (and not just because most of the uncrushable gear has tons of defense). Anywho, I have a friend who can make me some defense armor kits, which I can replace some of the +8 stam kits I have on things like chest/gloves/feet.
User avatar
Kelaan
 
Posts: 4037
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:01 pm

Postby NarfJones » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:41 am

Kelaan wrote:
Guillex wrote:(If) You're sitting at 102.4%, but are still 489 defense... You're gonna get critted in raids, bar none.


You are? Wouldn't the crits get pushed off the table as well as the crushes? I had thought that uncrushable implied uncrittable (and not just because most of the uncrushable gear has tons of defense). Anywho, I have a friend who can make me some defense armor kits, which I can replace some of the +8 stam kits I have on things like chest/gloves/feet.


Not necessarily. Crits are pushed off the attack table, but with the 10 second duration and cooldown of holy shield, it's impossible to have it up 100% of the time. And since some bosses already hit for half your life, it's not a good idea.
User avatar
NarfJones
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 859
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:30 am

Postby xaviermagnus » Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:31 am

Am I kara ready?

If not suggestions....

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... viermagnus
xaviermagnus
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:16 am

Overall thoughts?

Postby Blindsay » Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:54 pm

Been a lurker and i finally decided to join

nice to meet everyone, been reading alot of the posts its helped alot with my gear thus far, was just curious if anyone had any addition input to a few things ive come across.

1. My Stats - With kings up and nothing else
17,137HP
492 Defense
19.88% Dodge, 15.68% Parry, 56.28% block (with HS)
102.52 total avoidence (with holy shield up) (without kings its 102.12)
358 spell dmg (400 with wizard oil on my 1h)
5418 Mana

link to armory http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... n=Blindsay

Any suggestions to my MT gear would be apprecaited, i plan on getting the Ring the Drops off of tidewalker in SSC, and the one that drops off the trash in TK, and the necklace from maiden in Kara. Also i have to turn in my furies deck so i can get that card. Those are the upgrades i want to get in the short term, oh and the shield from gruul but it never drops lol.

My trash gear is as follows (still with kings)
14,657HP
500 Defense
18.37% Dodge, 17.31% Parry, 49.37% block (with HS)
96.07% total avoidence, to help with getting mana back
approx 600 spell dmg (with flasks food etc) + Libram of Divine Purpose
6828 Mana


all in all things are comming along well, i enjoy tanking but some key members of my guild hate pally tanks They say my MT gear is not good enough for SSC or TK, hell i have to fight for them to even let me tank in Kara. They say pally tanks arent as good as a Warrior so i get 2nd seat to them even if im substantially better geared. We were wiping on tidewalker alot cause the warrior would lose shield block then get crushed. I just want to help my guild progress further and i feel that i can. But they want me to heal cause thats what pallys do..... ironically enough my tanking gear is better then my healing gear too (+1650ish healing unbuffed)


but yeah any thoughts advice and input would be appreciated, and thanks for taking the time to read this
Blindsay
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:29 pm

Postby Uthor » Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:29 am

Hello dear Maintankadin forum that I visit everytime I can.

I need some help when it comes to choosing what to buy next for badges.

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet ... as&n=Uthor

I need to know what would be the biggest upgrade for me with badges
(I mainly only do Heroics and karazhan and I messed up my talent spec when I had respecced from ret to tank Mr.T ) and I'm thinking about the Iron-Tusk waist belt.

I also plan to replace the enchants on cloak+chest to defense rating and replace Adamantite Figure for the trinket from Heroic Mr.T that I never remember the name on .

I'm sorry for any spelling errors since English is not my native language.
Uthor
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:31 pm

Postby Infernosaint » Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:05 am

Hey.

http://armory.wow-europe.com/character- ... j&n=Orthon

I would like to know what to go for now.

Im thinking about buying the badge cloak and get defence on it, then go hc MgT and get the trinket from princess and shoulders from hc AC or netherspite.(whichever comes first)

is this a plan? and how much more do i need to tank ZA?

Thanks
Image
If you don't fall over when looking at my zomgawesome stats, i'm in prot or RP gear.
User avatar
Infernosaint
 
Posts: 212
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:47 pm

Am I ready to tank Heroics?

Postby Chantix » Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:41 am

I've recently respec'd Prot, after being Holy for most of the time, for the guild I'm in. It's mostly just a small guild with a bunch of RL friends, and we're wanting to start running heroics. I'm not yet uncrushable, but roughly ~6% off. Which upgrades/gems/enchants should I look for to get there? Right now, the cloak from SV is on the very top of my list, but I've run SV so many times and it has yet to drop, my guild is begging me to stop asking them to run it. How far off am I from being able to OT, or even MT in Kara? I'm sure the same upgrades would apply.

http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/chara ... &n=Chantix

Thanks
Chantix
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:36 am

Postby Dorvan » Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:55 am

As a suggestion, if you'd like others to review your armory, return the favor and toss some ideas someone else's way.
Image

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
User avatar
Dorvan
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 8462
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:28 pm

Postby justa » Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:11 am

I have been doing t he tankadin thing quite some time now. I have never really looked for advice just caught on to it from a friend of mine that made one. Based it off of his spec and developed my own style of tanking afterwords.

My guild is currently finishing off the tail end of Hyjal and three boss's down in BT everything is going very well. It just seems my toon could be preforming better at times.

Would like a some input on where i should go next gear wise.
I understand there is a MT thread as well but that will not reveal any holes in my current set up and it would be great to have a fresh pair of eyes. Anyhelp that anyone can provide to point me in the right direction would be great. I know this peice of trash toon has some short comings i just don't know where it is or how to fix them.

Currently below is what I'm trying to set up.

1600 + hp un-buffered 22K buffed
500 + defence
70 + ish block (with holy sheild up)
24 dodge
400 + spell damg

The following armory link provided is the main set of gear i run around and do everything in. I do have some other stuff i carry with me. The shoulders i know are not the best in the world but my shield block seems to be adequate and i have the Stone Resolve in reserve as needed. My Next is trash and Karazan ring has to go. other then that i don't know where i should go at this point.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... n&n=Phearr
User avatar
justa
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:24 pm

Re: Overall thoughts?

Postby Elvidnir » Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:47 pm

Blindsay wrote:Been a lurker and i finally decided to join

nice to meet everyone, been reading alot of the posts its helped alot with my gear thus far, was just curious if anyone had any addition input to a few things ive come across.

1. My Stats - With kings up and nothing else
17,137HP
492 Defense
19.88% Dodge, 15.68% Parry, 56.28% block (with HS)
102.52 total avoidence (with holy shield up) (without kings its 102.12)
358 spell dmg (400 with wizard oil on my 1h)
5418 Mana

link to armory http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... n=Blindsay

Any suggestions to my MT gear would be apprecaited, i plan on getting the Ring the Drops off of tidewalker in SSC, and the one that drops off the trash in TK, and the necklace from maiden in Kara. Also i have to turn in my furies deck so i can get that card. Those are the upgrades i want to get in the short term, oh and the shield from gruul but it never drops lol.

My trash gear is as follows (still with kings)
14,657HP
500 Defense
18.37% Dodge, 17.31% Parry, 49.37% block (with HS)
96.07% total avoidence, to help with getting mana back
approx 600 spell dmg (with flasks food etc) + Libram of Divine Purpose
6828 Mana


all in all things are comming along well, i enjoy tanking but some key members of my guild hate pally tanks They say my MT gear is not good enough for SSC or TK, hell i have to fight for them to even let me tank in Kara. They say pally tanks arent as good as a Warrior so i get 2nd seat to them even if im substantially better geared. We were wiping on tidewalker alot cause the warrior would lose shield block then get crushed. I just want to help my guild progress further and i feel that i can. But they want me to heal cause thats what pallys do..... ironically enough my tanking gear is better then my healing gear too (+1650ish healing unbuffed)


but yeah any thoughts advice and input would be appreciated, and thanks for taking the time to read this


Your stats are way more than sufficient to tank Kara, and probably fine for most/all of Tier5 content also. Over 17k with Kings only is quite good.

Find a new guild imo.
Elvidnir
 
Posts: 140
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:48 am

Postby NarfJones » Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:22 pm

justa wrote:I have been doing t he tankadin thing quite some time now. I have never really looked for advice just caught on to it from a friend of mine that made one. Based it off of his spec and developed my own style of tanking afterwords.

My guild is currently finishing off the tail end of Hyjal and three boss's down in BT everything is going very well. It just seems my toon could be preforming better at times.

Would like a some input on where i should go next gear wise.
I understand there is a MT thread as well but that will not reveal any holes in my current set up and it would be great to have a fresh pair of eyes. Anyhelp that anyone can provide to point me in the right direction would be great. I know this peice of trash toon has some short comings i just don't know where it is or how to fix them.

Currently below is what I'm trying to set up.

1600 + hp un-buffered 22K buffed
500 + defence
70 + ish block (with holy sheild up)
24 dodge
400 + spell damg

The following armory link provided is the main set of gear i run around and do everything in. I do have some other stuff i carry with me. The shoulders i know are not the best in the world but my shield block seems to be adequate and i have the Stone Resolve in reserve as needed. My Next is trash and Karazan ring has to go. other then that i don't know where i should go at this point.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... n&n=Phearr


You're gear is good enough in pretty much every department to finish the progression through BT. I would say more spell damage would be the best idea.

As far as being nitpicky, I would say moving some block around for dodge would be a good idea, just to lessen the strain on you healers.
User avatar
NarfJones
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 859
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:30 am

Postby justa » Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:41 pm

yes my spell damg is lacking. I i was not able to pick up all of the T5 that i would have liked to that would have solved that problem. currently im wanting to push it to about 420ish. Spoken to a few others there is a cap where it is no longer effective? if so what would that cap be.

I have a few pecies that i can toss into for more block Sholders of Stone resolve for example. I much prefer them but these BT sholders gave more stam and a bit more armor to boot i lost a bit of block but i was well over 70% with holy sheild up figerd i could afford it.

Is that not the case? uncrush is uncrush regardless of how much block you have you are still there. Block value however will come higher from Heardend Heart in Hyjal soon i would expect and solve alot of that issue.

Alot of my resoning might sound foolish i have been doing this for a bit over a year pre-bc included. Have rolled 2 diffrent prot pallies both horde and alliance but i have been flying blind.

Befor it was all about geting uncrit and stacking stam. Uncrush was very easy for me to reach. I do have a bit of a threat issue. But i dont know if it is just a rotation problem or if it is my over all spell damg. raid buffed i have about 440ish wich would be about 480 if i reached my target spell damg.

I am open to any sugestions that anyone els might have.

But i fear that i will drop below 15.8K hp unbuffed and that would make me cry.
User avatar
justa
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:24 pm

Re: Overall thoughts?

Postby Blindsay » Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:41 pm

Elvidnir wrote:
Blindsay wrote:Been a lurker and i finally decided to join

nice to meet everyone, been reading alot of the posts its helped alot with my gear thus far, was just curious if anyone had any addition input to a few things ive come across.

1. My Stats - With kings up and nothing else
17,137HP
492 Defense
19.88% Dodge, 15.68% Parry, 56.28% block (with HS)
102.52 total avoidence (with holy shield up) (without kings its 102.12)
358 spell dmg (400 with wizard oil on my 1h)
5418 Mana

link to armory http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... n=Blindsay

Any suggestions to my MT gear would be apprecaited, i plan on getting the Ring the Drops off of tidewalker in SSC, and the one that drops off the trash in TK, and the necklace from maiden in Kara. Also i have to turn in my furies deck so i can get that card. Those are the upgrades i want to get in the short term, oh and the shield from gruul but it never drops lol.

My trash gear is as follows (still with kings)
14,657HP
500 Defense
18.37% Dodge, 17.31% Parry, 49.37% block (with HS)
96.07% total avoidence, to help with getting mana back
approx 600 spell dmg (with flasks food etc) + Libram of Divine Purpose
6828 Mana


all in all things are comming along well, i enjoy tanking but some key members of my guild hate pally tanks They say my MT gear is not good enough for SSC or TK, hell i have to fight for them to even let me tank in Kara. They say pally tanks arent as good as a Warrior so i get 2nd seat to them even if im substantially better geared. We were wiping on tidewalker alot cause the warrior would lose shield block then get crushed. I just want to help my guild progress further and i feel that i can. But they want me to heal cause thats what pallys do..... ironically enough my tanking gear is better then my healing gear too (+1650ish healing unbuffed)


but yeah any thoughts advice and input would be appreciated, and thanks for taking the time to read this


Your stats are way more than sufficient to tank Kara, and probably fine for most/all of Tier5 content also. Over 17k with Kings only is quite good.

Find a new guild imo.


u say id probably fine for most t5 content? is there something i might be lacking to make you hesitate?
Blindsay
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:29 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest

Who is online

In total there are 3 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest