Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests Here)

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Postby Ciandin » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:44 am

Aedan wrote:Newcomer here, just wanted to pop by and say thanks to everyone here for the awesome suggestions (though for a while power-leveling engineering, I may have said some rather uncouth things to the contrary).

http://armorylite.com/us/Anetheron/aedan

That should have all my current tank gear up atm. Now, I just got the wrists right before I logged last night, thus no gem. This weekend is the Bot->Mech->Arc portion of our quest for the keys, so I'll grab the Sha'tari Vindicator's Belt no problem, and the follow-up in Black Morass will bump me just over Revered with KoT for my legs and head enchant. Aside from grabbing Flesh Beast's on a quick MT run, and hoping the SV run for the key frag bumps me into revered with CE for my neck, any recommendations?

I'm going to be splitting tanking duties with our guild leader (gearin him up for the switch to prot) once we hit kara, so I'll likely not need to be geared for main tanking, but I'd like to be anyway, just in case.

EDIT: I know I need to replace my Libram - I'm gonna shoot for the badge one, but as I'm not running heroics atm do to more limited time, think I can handle Kara long enough to grab enough badges for it? (+a few badges from some lucky SSO bags.)

Keep volunteering to run mech/bot/arc for other guildies as well to get your Crest (Frying Pan shield) and maybe the healing mace for when you need to offheal (Shade of Aran or whatever)
Ciandin

Postby Aedan » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:14 am

Thanks for the tip. Forgot about that off-healing set, I'm gonna have to update my current healing gear.

Hrm, here's a question - worthwhile to grab up the new 'honored' pvp set and just socket a bunch of mp5 or something? I'd have to take another look to see if they're even half-way decent for healing, but seeing as I'm running all these instances for gear anyway, the rep requirement is a non-issue, and would make assembling a new set cake. Or pie, depending on your preference.
Zodijackyl - Caelestrasz
Aedan

a query about gear

Postby Dregrin » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:54 am

Untill fairly recently I was a Healadin in good standing with a fair amount of nicer gear from my kara raiding, after a bit of time I have decided to return to being a prot pally since I only went holy to help out my old guild. I have looked through the various guides and what have you on proper pre kara gear however some things i just cant be sure about. seeing as I do have a few pieces that came from kara.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... &n=Dregrin

This is my character, any tips would be greatly appreciated.

I am mainly looking for what i should replace with blues and what not from normal runs and eventually heroics, and which kara pieces i should just keep due to there superior nature
Dregrin

Re: a query about gear

Postby guillex » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:59 am

Dregrin wrote:Untill fairly recently I was a Healadin in good standing with a fair amount of nicer gear from my kara raiding, after a bit of time I have decided to return to being a prot pally since I only went holy to help out my old guild. I have looked through the various guides and what have you on proper pre kara gear however some things i just cant be sure about. seeing as I do have a few pieces that came from kara.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... &n=Dregrin

This is my character, any tips would be greatly appreciated.

I am mainly looking for what i should replace with blues and what not from normal runs and eventually heroics, and which kara pieces i should just keet due to there superior nature

Did you log out in your healing gear?

You need to gem the leggings. Get rid of the healing stuff (or just heal for right now and pick up different items from Kara/Heroics).

Replace every single piece of healing gear you have? That's pretty much the only advice that I personally can give you.

The MT gear thread and the Uncrushability guide are two very very good resources for fledgling tankadins. I would have personally suggested that you stay holy until you had the gear to go prot.
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby Ciandin » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:09 am

Once you start getting upgrades, don't vendor anything you're replacing right away, because you *might* need it down the line.
Ciandin

Postby Snake-Aes » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:14 am

Ciandin wrote:Once you start getting upgrades, don't vendor anything you're replacing right away, because you *might* need it down the line.
This is so true. Had to pull abck my good old Andormu's once, and I still wiggle around with my old gear for either boss-specific micromanagement, or high threat heroic sets.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby dlantz » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:10 am

Here's a link to 3 gear profiles on warcrafter I've been tossing around. My guild is currently 1/4 in TK and 2/6 in SSC (And 5/6 in ZA), and I generally tank adds on anything that has them and alternate main tanking with our warrior on everything else. The badge costs are all roughly the same, and all are uncritable and uncrushable. Just not quite sure which direction I'd be best off taking my gear towards as we progress. (And if you hate all 3, feel free to link me something better. lol.)

Note: I have +15 def on chest (doesnt' show) and the amber ring is a place holder for the Stalwart Defender (new BoJ ring) so just add 1.48% dodge to the total. (and 2.48 when checking uncrushable). I also screwed up the gem names, but the stats are all right.

http://www.warcrafter.net/sandbox/46991

http://www.warcrafter.net/sandbox/46992

http://www.warcrafter.net/sandbox/46994

And my armory just for comparison:

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... k&n=Davidz

Thanks a lot!
dlantz

Postby steadypal » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:38 pm

okay today i just got the new aldor pants can i say sexah

next question is i only have 31 badges left what should i do

current cloak is devilshark, should i upgrade that next with silikks?

current belt is belt of the guardian, should i get badge belt?

current boots is the pally blacksmithing boots, should i upgrade those to the 2.3 badge boots???

any suggestions would be swell, thanks
steadypal

Postby GothicPL » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:49 pm

Wakeman wrote:Some of your gems are wrong. Red should be +8 dodge, instead of parry.

In 2.4, the best gem for the red slot is usually Regal Nightseye. I was so happy to discover it's not BoP (there were rumors it was.)
GothicPL

Check ME!!!

Postby mrtremere » Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:55 pm

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... =Jezzebell

I got 300 badges in the bank and will be purchasing the the 2.4 Legs and Ring

I'm also a JC and will be making
Figurine - Crimson Serpent
Figurine - Empyrean Tortoise

I cant seem to the the Commendation of Kael'thas to drop.

I'm thinking of slotting +15 gems in most everything.

Any further recommendation?

Should I shoot for t5 shoulders or keep the Pauldrons of Stone Resolve, my nub guild cant seem to dodge the energy balls.

Thanks you in advanced.

Also I have itch to grab resist gear.
my Arcane is @ 219 resist. Is fire and Shadow still worth getting or am I wasting time. In a casual guild doing T5/ZA some Hyjal.
mrtremere

Postby Seipoc » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:03 pm

Been a lurker on the forums for a bit and am currently a ret paladin, just a question about trinkets, would using say

http://www.wowhead.com/?item=31856 and http://www.wowhead.com/?item=31858

be bad for tanking normal instances, since i plan on getting some of the righteous gear, would it be better to get some mitigation trinkets or are these good enough provided all the gear i am obtaining is recommeneded from this site
Thread killer
Seipoc

Ret gear

Postby mrtremere » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:26 pm

I read that allot of pallies have one stam trinket and one avoidance trinket.
mrtremere

Postby Seipoc » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:24 pm

ahh i see, so 2 cards = no good even for normal instances
Thread killer
Seipoc

Re: Ret gear

Postby Lakirby » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:25 pm

mrtremere wrote:I read that allot of pallies have one stam trinket and one avoidance trinket.

I do anyway... usually Spyglass of the Hidden Fleet and either Moroes' Lucky Pocket Watch or Scarab of Displacement. Al'ar trinket instead for threat.
<Shadows of Eternity> - Kilrogg EU - 5/5 MH 9/9 BT
Retiring 11/07/08 - Tanking to the bitter end.
Lakirby

Postby Erendis » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:33 pm

Seipoc wrote:ahh i see, so 2 cards = no good even for normal instances

I'd say normals and sometimes heroics are the perfect place for double stam trinkets. You don't have to worry about crushing blows and as long as you keep crit immune more stam is never a bad thing.
Erendis
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice