Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests Here)

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Postby safetyguy14 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:44 pm

http://www.armorylite.com/us/mug%27thol/masondin

Hi Guys!

I currently OT SSC/GRUUL/TK very successfully and MT 3.5 hour clears of kara. I have 115 badges laying around and our 2.4 vendor should pop in the next day or two. What do you think would be the best way to spend my badges? My gut is telling me 75 badge chest + slikk's cloak but those 100 badge pants are tasty. Also I hate my boots :). Help me spend my badges!!!

Thanks to all in advance. I also have t4 gloves, scarab of displacement, and some other blue defense trinkets laying around too.
safetyguy14

Postby Dinedan » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:59 pm

Sithy wrote:Good luck in ZA, you look like you'd fair alright, watch out for the 2 pulls before bear boss and bear himself, they hit like trucks. Keep Dev up always!

Thanks Sithy - my armory has me in my "Dailies Set" so I have a couple other pieces. Kara hates me - no NB Shield, Maiden Neck, Aran Ring, T4 Helm, NS Shoulders - in 8 months of clears.

I have done the first 2 bosses in ZA in PuGs so I know how hard they hit. I once managed to scrape up a PuG of my own to go in but in the double rider pull, the other tank kept dying and then I would have 2 on me - hard to last long that way. My guild is being cautious - too cautious for me - about going to ZA without being fully geared from Kara. I think we can kill the first 2 bosses no problem - hopefully I am right.
Dinedan

Postby etherboy » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:05 pm

http://www.warcrafter.net/sandbox/46710

My gear setup...

My questions:
-Can I tank Heroics? (I have some pieces like Uther's boots for higher threat/lower mitigation)
-Could I reasonably MT Kara (I have done 3 runs of Kara, and OT'd)
-My bracers need replacing - Green Fortress?

Appreciate any input!
Erugar - 80 Paladin - <Canadian Dogsled Team> - Korgath-US
Armory
etherboy

Postby GothicPL » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:34 pm

etherboy wrote:http://www.warcrafter.net/sandbox/46710

My gear setup...

My questions:
-Can I tank Heroics? (I have some pieces like Uther's boots for higher threat/lower mitigation)

Appreciate any input!

I think you're fine for the first half of Kara and easy heroics such as SP.

You should try to upgrade your shield if you want to MT Prince and Nightbane, or AOE tank heroics with no CC. Of course, this depends on your healers as well, but you will feel a huge difference with an epic shield that has more armor and BV.

Bracer of Green Fortress, heroic Arc bracers or bracers of Attumen are all good upgrades for you. I personally have had great mileage out of BoGF, they last a while.

But still, shield upgrade should come first.
GothicPL

Postby Tandors » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:07 pm

How about me? How far could I go in like T5 stuff assuming equally geared healers?

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Arthas&n=Tandors

BTW I know about my shoulders. ZA hates me, my guild hasn't downed VR since the patch and my T4 shoulders always seem to either not drop or get stolen.
Tandors

Postby etherboy » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:24 pm

GothicPL wrote:

My gear setup...

My questions:

Appreciate any input!

You should try to upgrade your shield if you want to MT Prince and Nightbane, or AOE tank heroics with no CC. Of course, this depends on your healers as well, but you will feel a huge difference with an epic shield that has more armor and BV.

Bracer of Green Fortress, heroic Arc bracers or bracers of Attumen are all good upgrades for you. I personally have had great mileage out of BoGF, they last a while.

I'm working on Sha'tar rep, and Netherwing Protector quest line...

But what shield is fairly easily attainable that is worthwhile...
Erugar - 80 Paladin - <Canadian Dogsled Team> - Korgath-US
Armory
etherboy

Postby Er » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:45 pm

Hey all, new to the site and I figured you all could give me a hand.

http://armorylite.com/us/Eredar/Er

Right now I'm currently working on starting SSC/TK progression and I want to know if I'm doing alright in terms of min-maxing. I want to be able to push my man to the limits.

I guess I have 2 questions:
1. I need to get my hands on more avoidance. Currently we're able to clear the 4 aspects, Gruul and Kara (yippie.) While I'm uncrushable, I want to know if there is some gear somewhere I can get that'll boost my STAM and avoidance, preferably at the same time :D. Really, any recommended gear changes are welcome.

2. What sort of threat generation should I be looking at, if anyone has some way to figure that out or remembers. I've had some really odd problems with threat, where I'll have about 500 on some targets and jump up to 900-1200 against other things (even without exorcism.) Anyone have any idea whats causing this?

I guess that's about it. I had something else on my mind but it slipped me. Thanks a bunch gents, ladies. :)
Er

Postby Eirny » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:12 pm

etherboy wrote:
GothicPL wrote:

My gear setup...

My questions:

Appreciate any input!

I used [Platinum Shield of the Valorous] from the first boss in SLabs until I finished my Sha'tar grind. Fairly easy to get to, and doesn't even really take a whole group if you have a couple of geared friends just doing farming runs.
Eirny

Postby Wakeman » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:37 am

safetyguy14 wrote:http://www.armorylite.com/us/mug%27thol/masondin

Hi Guys!

I currently OT SSC/GRUUL/TK very successfully and MT 3.5 hour clears of kara. I have 115 badges laying around and our 2.4 vendor should pop in the next day or two. What do you think would be the best way to spend my badges? My gut is telling me 75 badge chest + slikk's cloak but those 100 badge pants are tasty. Also I hate my boots :). Help me spend my badges!!!

Thanks to all in advance. I also have t4 gloves, scarab of displacement, and some other blue defense trinkets laying around too.

Good health and armor. However, your problem is you are VERY crushable at the moment. Mainly because your block is too low. You probably need to trade some stamina gear (e.g. goblin rocket launcher) for avoidance/blocking gear. I suggest you check the stickies for tips to get uncrushable.

Chest is probably the 1st thing you should buy with BoJ. Then cloak and maybe a tanking ring.

Good luck!

[edit] oh, almost forget..... Read my signature! :P
Last edited by Wakeman on Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Fear my Bacon of Light!
Wakeman

Postby Xavior » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:37 am

http://www.armorylite.com/us/Shattered+Hand/odinä

Hi guys,

I'm still not uncrushable yet.
Problem is, i've tons of purple gears yet...

Please advise...
Last edited by Xavior on Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Xavior

Postby ulushnar » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:40 am

Xavior wrote:http://www.armorylite.com/us/Shattered+Hand/odinä

Hi guys,

Please advise...

And your profile shows T5/ZA level healing gear!
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Wakeman » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:55 am

Xavior wrote:http://www.armorylite.com/us/Shattered+Hand/odinä

Hi guys,

Please advise...

lol, try click on your own link. I almost thought you was joking because it linked to a holy pally! Then I added back the "ä" and it showed the right page. That's why I always say having special character in the names is not a clever thing.

Ok, back to the topic. Your gear have a lot of room for improvement. Get Flesh Beast boots. Replace commander badge (or even darkmoon card) with avoidance/block trinkets until you are uncrushable. Get Felsteel helm, or Tankatronic goggles if u have the gold. Get Bracers of the green fortress if you have the gold.

Some of your gems are wrong. Red should be +8 dodge, instead of parry. Yellow = +def and/or stam gem, not agi or hit.

Wrist, gloves enchant should be +sta or def. Enchant boot 12 sta after u get Flesh beast boots. Consider chest +15 def, which is better than 150hp for u. Consider +12 def meta gem if u are still not uncrushable after the above changes.

You can check the stickies for list of good avoidance/blocking gear.

Good luck!
Image Fear my Bacon of Light!
Wakeman

Postby Aedan » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:34 am

Newcomer here, just wanted to pop by and say thanks to everyone here for the awesome suggestions (though for a while power-leveling engineering, I may have said some rather uncouth things to the contrary).

http://armorylite.com/us/Anetheron/aedan

That should have all my current tank gear up atm. Now, I just got the wrists right before I logged last night, thus no gem. This weekend is the Bot->Mech->Arc portion of our quest for the keys, so I'll grab the Sha'tari Vindicator's Belt no problem, and the follow-up in Black Morass will bump me just over Revered with KoT for my legs and head enchant. Aside from grabbing Flesh Beast's on a quick MT run, and hoping the SV run for the key frag bumps me into revered with CE for my neck, any recommendations?

I'm going to be splitting tanking duties with our guild leader (gearin him up for the switch to prot) once we hit kara, so I'll likely not need to be geared for main tanking, but I'd like to be anyway, just in case.

EDIT: I know I need to replace my Libram - I'm gonna shoot for the badge one, but as I'm not running heroics atm do to more limited time, think I can handle Kara long enough to grab enough badges for it? (+a few badges from some lucky SSO bags.)
Aedan

Postby honorshammer » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:45 am

etherboy wrote:
GothicPL wrote:

My gear setup...

My questions:

Appreciate any input!

The rep shield from Ogril'la is pretty good and it's what I used until I got my Crest.
honorshammer

Postby safetyguy14 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:31 am

Wakeman wrote:
safetyguy14 wrote:http://www.armorylite.com/us/mug%27thol/masondin

Hi Guys!

Good health and armor. However, your problem is you are VERY crushable at the moment. Mainly because your block is too low. You probably need to trade some stamina gear (e.g. goblin rocket launcher) for avoidance/blocking gear. I suggest you check the stickies for tips to get uncrushable.

Chest is probably the 1st thing you should buy with BoJ. Then cloak and maybe a tanking ring.

Good luck!

[edit] oh, almost forget..... Read my signature! :P

ya ya, I have 17k honor; too lazy grinding that non-sense :) thx for the advice, on fights where I need it I just pop the scarab on and I go up to 107% avoidance :)
safetyguy14

PreviousNext

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice