Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests Here)

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Postby Seloei » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:31 am

Get the biggest upgrade which you think will benefit you more. It varies per person and per gear, and how lucky/unlucky you are with drops. the 2.3 chest and 2.4 pants are very good items to "aim for" as first ones if you have no other goal, but always chose the bigger upgrade when possible, if there is no easily attained one from a craftable/reputation.

It's easier to get a exalted faction then get 33 badges for some, vice versa from someone else.

The only one who can really answer what is the bigger upgrade to your gear (and which set) is you :)
Seloei

Postby Sithy » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:37 am

Badge vendor is opening up on Icecrown sometime today. I have 135 badges I need 160.

We're doing Mags and then Gruul or TK on our alt run so I can get 15 badges tonight I'm sure, even if I have to drag a healer through shattered halls and botanica or something after the raid.

I know I'm going to buy Ring of the Stalwart Protector as I have yet to see another decent tank ring drop.

I have delema though, I'm not sure how to enchant the Inscribed Legplates of the Aldor.

Here's my Armory (Armory Lite).

Currently I have:
Justicar Legguards with a Runic Spellthread, they are part of my threat set at the moment.
Unwavering Legguards with a Nethercleft Leg Armor, they are part of my typical hard hitting boss tank setup.

So for gemming I figure just go with 2xSolid Empyrean Sapphire (when they are available on my server anyway) seeing as the 4 stam bonus and red/yellow sockets isn't appealing

Enchanting on the other hand, I can't for the life of me decide.
Inscribed Legplates of the Aldor
Runic Spellthread would offer (compared to Unwavering):
Gain:
72 SD
2.3% Dodge
Lose:
15 Sta (~170 hp)

Nethercleft Leg Armor would offer:
Gain:
37 SD
2.8% Dodge
5 Sta
Lose:
No losses

It's basically 35 SD vs 0.5% dodge and 20 stam.

My HP feels pretty comfortable at ~15k unbuffed. So obviously I'm leaning on getting a Runic made, mainly to accent the fact that Aldor already has good SD.

I'm still not sure though. Thoughts?
Sithy

Postby Snake-Aes » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:52 am

I say nethercleft anyway, unless you don't raid at all. They're a much more appropriate boss tanking leggings than Unwavering(which are already really good). I say make your Unwavering your threat-aoe mix pants. You already have a fairly high spell damage if you're not in t6 content.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby BigBlueCheese » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:32 am

What piece of badge gear should I get next? I'm not main-tanking Kara right now (which is quite boring) if that changes the gear choice.

I was thinking that the Sabatons of the Righteous Defender was a good piece to get next.

Armory Profile
BigBlueCheese

Postby Greodin » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:51 am

Hey guys,

Just looking for some gear advice (of course). My armory profile link is at the bottom. I'm 5 badges away from the Breastplate of the Stoic Guardian (2.3 75 badge one). I'm also almost to exalted with SSO, so I will be getting a new shield shortly. So, any wisdom/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Greodin

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... &n=Greodin
Greodin

Postby Erendis » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:52 am

BigBlueCheese wrote:What piece of badge gear should I get next? I'm not main-tanking Kara right now (which is quite boring) if that changes the gear choice.

I was thinking that the Sabatons of the Righteous Defender was a good piece to get next.

Armory Profile

I'd go for the boots. Its the piece I got after getting the chestguard. Anyways, if you are getting bored OT Kara then talk to your raid and see if they would be interested in doing chain pulls with the two tanks. IE when one set of mobs is almost dead then you do the next pull and keep alternating. It doesn't help you for the boss fights that only need one tank BUT it does make trash go by faster and makes you feek usefull at the very least. I've found that fast runs=fun runs.
Erendis
Maintankadonor

Postby BigBlueCheese » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:55 am

Yeah that's what I've been doing a little bit. During Moroes, I would try to tank Moroes and an add or two. I was surprised how little damage Moroes does during my first venture into Kara. I was runnning out of mana pretty quickly.

Also I'm droping JC (a lot good ones in the guild) to pick up engineering. Hopefully I'll be able to get the googles in a few days.
BigBlueCheese

Postby Sithy » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:58 am

Greodin wrote:Hey guys,

Just looking for some gear advice (of course). My armory profile link is at the bottom. I'm 5 badges away from the Breastplate of the Stoic Guardian (2.3 75 badge one). I'm also almost to exalted with SSO, so I will be getting a new shield shortly. So, any wisdom/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Greodin

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... &n=Greodin

Enchants, enchants, enchants. Gloves, Legs and Bracers, thats a ton of stamina you're missing by not having leg and bracer enchants.

If you don't have the libram of repentance, go get it, thats a pretty big upgrade, assuming that is that you run kara regularly.
Sithy

Postby Seloei » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:34 am

Sithy, unless your DPS is nearing threat cap, more armor/avoidance is always better. Slap a runic thread on the unwavering and slap a nethercleft on the 2.4 pants.

2.4 pants for main tanking, 2.3 ones for Trash tanking, at least thats what i am going for as soon as we get him up.
Seloei

Postby Dinedan » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:55 am

Sithy wrote:Badge vendor is opening up on Icecrown sometime today. I have 135 badges I need 160.

We're doing Mags and then Gruul or TK on our alt run so I can get 15 badges tonight ...

So you'll be 10 badges short still. :)
Dinedan

Postby Sithy » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:05 pm

Dinedan wrote:
Sithy wrote:Badge vendor is opening up on Icecrown sometime today. I have 135 badges I need 160.

We're doing Mags and then Gruul or TK on our alt run so I can get 15 badges tonight ...

So you'll be 10 badges short still. :)

It might be 145, I can't remember and I'm at work and can't check.

If it is 135, shit you not I'll have them as soon as I can. :)

If we're in the middle of kara I'll be like "BRB 5 mins summon me!" run off to vendor get my last item and then go back. Still can decide if I want the ring or the pants first.

I'll probably do nethercleft for the enchant though, because if threat is an issue can I just toss on 4/5 t4 with my t4 pants, which have slightly lower avoidance but if I'm looking for threat I'm not worried about dieing. That could change when I get home though and discover I don't want to buy the leather!
Sithy

Postby Dinedan » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:25 pm

Unless your DPS is threat-capped it looks like the ring is a bigger item-for-item upgrade.

I think I am in the same boat - but lacking much of the better gear you have. At least my guild ZA raids start next week!
Dinedan

Postby Travatron » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:59 pm

Hey guys. I'm the MT of a fairly new, smaller guild. The guild clears Kara in 2 nights (unfortunately I never get to see the second half due to work), so, keeping that in mind I'm looking at badge rewards and can't decide where to go next.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Silvermoon&n=Kaiyla

As you can see, I teeter on uncrushable (101.7 unbuffed atm) so getting that up is important to me, but looking at some of the gear choices, I'm having a hard time deciding, it seems no matter what I replace, I become more crushable.

2.3 Boots: Lose 1.5% dodge, gain ~450hp 500 armor, some threat.
2.4 Legs: Gain: ~300hp, .7% dodge, 250 armor, some threat
2.4 Ring: Gain ~550hp, lose ~2% block rating.
2.3 Legs: Lose 1.5% dodge, gain ~300hp, 200armor, 3.8% block rating (1.3% gain in uncrushable overall)

All right, the 2.3 pants obviously do the most for uncrushable, but the 2.4 pants seem way better overall. At the same time, getting the 2.3 pants would give me the wiggle room to finally drop the tear, and get almost 600 more HP on my finger. The boots are certainly nice, and God knows I need to replace my Beasties, but I just don't think the loss in dodge is worth it to me right now.
Travatron

Postby Sithy » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:08 pm

Dinedan wrote:Unless your DPS is threat-capped it looks like the ring is a bigger item-for-item upgrade.

I think I am in the same boat - but lacking much of the better gear you have. At least my guild ZA raids start next week!

I'm just lucky with drops... extremely lucky.

My pally is just an alt I play around with (~8 weeks at 70 now) but as I get more gear it is basically now our back up prot pally if we need one in Hyjal. This is our prot pally, our MT gear is similar but his avoidance is leaps ahead of me still... wtb t5.

As far as threat capped DPS, I know sometimes they have to slow down a bit. Its a bit of a combination of me giving them salv or not, sometimes I want to see them put out higher numbers so I want to make sure I can out-threat them.

Good luck in ZA, you look like you'd fair alright, watch out for the 2 pulls before bear boss and bear himself, they hit like trucks. Keep Dev up always!
Sithy

Postby Sithy » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:15 pm

Travatron wrote:Hey guys. I'm the MT of a fairly new, smaller guild. The guild clears Kara in 2 nights (unfortunately I never get to see the second half due to work), so, keeping that in mind I'm looking at badge rewards and can't decide where to go next.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Silvermoon&n=Kaiyla

As you can see, I teeter on uncrushable (101.7 unbuffed atm) so getting that up is important to me, but looking at some of the gear choices, I'm having a hard time deciding, it seems no matter what I replace, I become more crushable.

2.3 Boots: Lose 1.5% dodge, gain ~450hp 500 armor, some threat.
2.4 Legs: Gain: ~300hp, .7% dodge, 250 armor, some threat
2.4 Ring: Gain ~550hp, lose ~2% block rating.
2.3 Legs: Lose 1.5% dodge, gain ~300hp, 200armor, 3.8% block rating (1.3% gain in uncrushable overall)

All right, the 2.3 pants obviously do the most for uncrushable, but the 2.4 pants seem way better overall. At the same time, getting the 2.3 pants would give me the wiggle room to finally drop the tear, and get almost 600 more HP on my finger. The boots are certainly nice, and God knows I need to replace my Beasties, but I just don't think the loss in dodge is worth it to me right now.

Avoid the 2.3 boots at first, they were a nice to have item for me as it made me drop my avoidance a bit to get them.

If you have Figurine of the Colossus sitting around I'd use that over the Ruby Serpent. If you don't have a Figurine grind for one if you can, it gives you tons of wiggle room as you gear up.

That would let you freely use the 2.4 legs and 2.4 ring.

2.3 legs are nice and useful in a block set but 2.4 are just better.
Sithy

PreviousNext

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice