Remove Advertisements

Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests Here)

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Re: Stam or Haste in 10 man?

Postby Schroom » Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:17 pm

Kal wrote:My Questions:
How much is "enough" health?



are you dying a lot? do you self make a lot of errors? (CD timing, SoTR timing etc.), do your healers make mistakes and have a lot of trouble keeping you alive? is one of those answered with a "yes", you probably need more stamina.

Are all of those 3 points answered with a "no" -> enough HP
User avatar
Schroom
 
Posts: 520
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:03 pm
Location: Luxembourg

Re: Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests H

Postby Fetzie » Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:51 pm

Worldie wrote:Our tanks in 25 hc (at lei shen closing to a kill now) run with 700ishk buffed and it's plenty.
The paladin however has so much haste his Mass Ress only has 5.5 seconds cast time!

I guess it is better to over-estimate the incoming damage from a new boss than to under-estimate.

I'm using the Lei Shen stamina trinket because I have so much hit natively on my gear that I have no real benefit from equipping the Ji'kun feather trinket other than the strength proc :/
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Anub'arak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Image
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
User avatar
Fetzie
 
Posts: 2127
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:43 am
Location: Karlsruhe, Germany

Re: Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests H

Postby Tankznspankz » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:20 am

http://eu.battle.net/wow/de/character/g ... nkz/simple

looking for general improvements besides "get better gear"
Tankznspankz
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:20 am

Re: Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests H

Postby Sagara » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:38 am

First, give us links in english, verdomme! Nah, just kidding.

There's nothing wrong honestly. Remember to re-enchant your new axe, though ;-)

A couples thoughts, just to jump-start you own thought processes.

Have you considered asking for the crafted boots? The Haste/Mastery ones are really kickass and will tide you over until Twins or Ra-Den deign you with some TF boots.

Considering the damage curve of the bosses that are left on progression, wouldn't you be better off trying to grab some more tier? The 4pc bonus is apparently extremely strong on H content, and I'm seriously considering grabbing it back myself. It's apparently set to be even stronger while we start off T16, with US being a flat -50% CD.

The choices of JC gems is open to discussion, as the Stam gems are better itemized, but there's indeed a case to be made to run for more haste via expertise gems.
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
User avatar
Sagara
 
Posts: 3330
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:04 am
Location: Belgium

Re: Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests H

Postby Thels » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:44 am

You might want to replace "de" with "en" and "simple" with "advanced" when you link your character:
http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/g ... z/advanced

You have 540 ilvl, but only 521 equipped. Your offspec is Retribution. I'm guessing that you have several retribution items that are much higher ilvl than the items you currently have equipped. Could you post the high ilvl items that you got? The Stamina+Armor alone might make them worthwhile to equip, and then the stats that are good for Ret are decent for Prot.
ImageImage
User avatar
Thels
 
Posts: 1170
Joined: Tue May 15, 2007 7:30 am
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests H

Postby Tankznspankz » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:30 am

I had to switch specs from holy to prot due to 2 tanks quitting.
Offspec items are almost exclusively holy.

Got the Haste / Mastery boots today.
Tier items are mine once they decide to drop...
Tankznspankz
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:20 am

Re: Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests H

Postby Thels » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:22 am

Ah, ok. That changes things.

I've been looking at your gemming, and it's a little odd... For example, you're matching one socket in your boots, but not the other, while mastery is a good bonus, and you're using your JC perk on Expertise...

JC Stamina gems give you 240 Stamina per gem, whereas JC Secondary gems only give you 160 Secondary stats per gem. I'd highly recommend using 2 Solid Serpent's Eyes in the blue sockets where they provide the best bonus (Helm and Legs). Then for all other sockets, use 320 Haste unless the socket bonus is worth it (Stamina, Hit, Expertise, Haste, Mastery), or unless you need to reforge a lot to meet your expertise cap (unlikely).

Basically, use 480 stamina in helm and legs, 160 haste+160 expertise in neck, legs and feet, and 320 haste everywhere else.

If possible, get your hands on two stamina trinkets, and keep them ready for fights where you'll be needing them.

Other than that, things look quite ok. Don't forget to enchant that axe. Dancing Steel is the recommended survival/dps tradeoff nowadays.
ImageImage
User avatar
Thels
 
Posts: 1170
Joined: Tue May 15, 2007 7:30 am
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests H

Postby Fetzie » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:52 am

Thels wrote:Ah, ok. That changes things.

I've been looking at your gemming, and it's a little odd... For example, you're matching one socket in your boots, but not the other, while mastery is a good bonus, and you're using your JC perk on Expertise...

JC Stamina gems give you 240 Stamina per gem, whereas JC Secondary gems only give you 160 Secondary stats per gem. I'd highly recommend using 2 Solid Serpent's Eyes in the blue sockets where they provide the best bonus (Helm and Legs). Then for all other sockets, use 320 Haste unless the socket bonus is worth it (Stamina, Hit, Expertise, Haste, Mastery), or unless you need to reforge a lot to meet your expertise cap (unlikely).

Basically, use 480 stamina in helm and legs, 160 haste+160 expertise in neck, legs and feet, and 320 haste everywhere else.

If possible, get your hands on two stamina trinkets, and keep them ready for fights where you'll be needing them.

Other than that, things look quite ok. Don't forget to enchant that axe. Dancing Steel is the recommended survival/dps tradeoff nowadays.

The 1500 haste/mastery/crit proc is also totally viable (can't remember its name right now).
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Anub'arak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Image
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
User avatar
Fetzie
 
Posts: 2127
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:43 am
Location: Karlsruhe, Germany

Re: Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests H

Postby Thels » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:03 am

Windsong?
ImageImage
User avatar
Thels
 
Posts: 1170
Joined: Tue May 15, 2007 7:30 am
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests H

Postby Fetzie » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:11 am

Think so, yeah.
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Anub'arak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Image
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
User avatar
Fetzie
 
Posts: 2127
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:43 am
Location: Karlsruhe, Germany

Re: Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests H

Postby Suikoden » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:38 pm

Hello all,

I recently picked up playing my prot paladin again and have been slowly getting used to everything once again.
For the most part i have it all down but i was curious as to when its time to start gemming pure haste gems and what haste thresh holds if any i should be aiming for?

Any advice would be much appreciated and my character link is below.
Cheers!

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/o ... den/simple
Suikoden
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:32 pm

Re: Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests H

Postby Thels » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:00 am

You bought the wrong Shado-Pan Assault trinket. :(

You might want to look at the craftable items. There's a 522 helm and 522 boots that both have Haste/Mastery on them, and are excellent for both prot and ret. They might be expensive, though, and obviously quickly replaced when 5.4 is out.

As for when to switch from Stamina to Haste, that depends on the content you're running, but in your case, I'd stick to stamina a little longer. For LFR it really doesn't matter which of the two you're using, and if you can get into a ToT normal group, that Stamina is the most likely to keep you alive.

Then again, if you have no interest whatsoever in ToT normal for now, and only run LFR/5mans/T14, then you want to gem Haste instead of Stamina.
ImageImage
User avatar
Thels
 
Posts: 1170
Joined: Tue May 15, 2007 7:30 am
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests H

Postby Thels » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:19 am

I just switched from trying to keep a guild together/pugging, and doing mostly 10 man normal and perhaps a 10 HC here and there to a 25HC guild with 10/13. I have no personal feeling how hard the 25man bosses hit. I've managed to organize one 25man raid, and that was MSV with the 10man version on farm.

Considering I'm on the lower end of the gear spectrum for this guild, I'm considering switching back to Stamina gemming. Would people in 25HC guilds recommend as such, or rather to keep some haste in?

(To view my armory, click the banner under my post.)
ImageImage
User avatar
Thels
 
Posts: 1170
Joined: Tue May 15, 2007 7:30 am
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests H

Postby Paoanii » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:35 am

Thels wrote:I just switched from trying to keep a guild together/pugging, and doing mostly 10 man normal and perhaps a 10 HC here and there to a 25HC guild with 10/13. I have no personal feeling how hard the 25man bosses hit. I've managed to organize one 25man raid, and that was MSV with the 10man version on farm.

Considering I'm on the lower end of the gear spectrum for this guild, I'm considering switching back to Stamina gemming. Would people in 25HC guilds recommend as such, or rather to keep some haste in?

(To view my armory, click the banner under my post.)


Having tanked 7/13H this tier before switching to 10 man, I never saw a significant need for more stamina. The only notable exception to this is dark animus, but proper cooldown management and tank coordination (and leaving a small golem up to soak empowers) goes a lot further toward reducing tank deaths to Massives than does more stamina.

Edit: That's not to say Stamina gems may not be helpful, I more meant that situations in which more stamina would've saved me would also have been prevented by just all around better play. It's definitely worth considering stacking stamina, but even in the gear you're in, you're more than geared enough for almost all 25H bosses, so there isn't a huge pressing need to change.
Image
Paoanii
 
Posts: 54
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:49 am

Re: Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests H

Postby Promdates » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:47 am

Thels wrote:25HC guild with 10/13. I have no personal feeling how hard the 25man bosses hit. I've managed to organize one 25man raid, and that was MSV with the 10man version on farm.


I'm 11/13, working on Lei Shen, and have yet to use stamina gems/trinkets since I was gearing up in normals at the beginning of the tier. The one thing I would recommend you pick up is the 4P bonus, as you can gain a significant amount of holy power from it over the course of a fight, other than that you're not behind gear wise... at least compared to where I sit (DAMN YOU RINGS!!)
User avatar
Promdates
 
Posts: 148
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:10 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


Remove Advertisements

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest