Remove Advertisements

Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests Here)

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Re: Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests H

Postby Jadhzia » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:45 am

econ21 wrote:
Jadhzia wrote:As for reputation items, the belt and ring from Domination Offensive seem to be very small gains, so I should probably stick to upgrading what I have.

I bought the belt. You have a very well itemised LFR belt, but even so, if you use the control/haste weighting scheme for AMR, it would be an upgrade of about 1000 points for you. Not stellar, but not "very small" either. The ring, I agree with you, the upgrade seems small.

You're right. I must have misread Mr. Robot, I thought it was a much smaller gain than that, like 50-100 points. Thanks for the pointer.

econ21 wrote:(You've been very unlucky to just have one tier piece - have you been running the Sha world boss every week?)

Klaudandus wrote:Any luck with sha? In my two tanks, i was able to get the t14 gloves and legs prolly within 6 resets.

Unfortunately, I've been just as unlucky as it looks. ;) The 2-piece T14 bonus doesn't seem too great, and the 4-piece is very far on the horizon, hence my questions here about using my valor points.

econ21 wrote:Upgrading a weapon seems less of priority for us than most specs, if you read what Theck wrote on his Sacred Duty blog about VP upgrades.

Yep, because our only attack that relies on weapon dps is Crusader Strike, I remember. I thought about upgrading the weapon because I have my legendary gem inside it, so I'm probably going to keep it for quite a while. The other options would be chest, helm and legs. I'll upgrade the chest, but my helm isn't great and I'm not too sure about the legs.

So, after buying the Domination belt and upgrading the chest (which will take two weeks), what do you think I should upgrade?
Jadhzia, Protection Paladin, EU-Sargeras
Jadhzia

Postby econ21 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:39 pm

Jadhzia wrote:So, after buying the Domination belt and upgrading the chest (which will take two weeks), what do you think I should upgrade?

I see your logic about the weapon. The other option is upgrading the VP stamina trinket - a big lump of stamina with a nice on use effect, I can see holding onto that for a while.
econ21

Postby suikoji » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:15 pm

Hi guys, this is the first time since im playing world of warcraft that i ask advice on my gear, i have read all guides possible from many sites and i choose to follow the control haste build (hit/expertise cap > haste > mastery = avoidance) because i love the active mitigation but the thing is that im playing since december 21th and im too much confused, and getting stressed because i feel that i dont know my character even if i know the theory/rotations etc.

Actually im 476 ilvl (as i said, i have been playing from not so long) and this is my armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/r ... tun/simple and as you can see i have 6/6 MSV and 2/6 HoF so thats not pretty much progression (i think), i have been raiding 10 man but now we are changing to 25 man so im getting nerveous so i hope you can help me guys

so lets get to the point, can you please give me some of ur opinions of how i am doing it?, what you could suggest i could improve?, sometimes i feel too much squeeshy (4th fight LFR HoF), dunno why so have i missed something?
suikoji

Postby econ21 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:46 pm

suikoji wrote:so lets get to the point, can you please give me some of ur opinions of how i am doing it?, what you could suggest i could improve?, sometimes i feel too much squeeshy (4th fight LFR HoF), dunno why so have i missed something?

I don't see a problem with your gearing. You could try gemming stamina (following AskMrRobot's control/haste setting) but that's controversial advice. To see how you are doing, you'd probably need to link a log of your raid (check out World of Logs).

I would not be too discouraged by your progression. You are more progressed than me! Progression is a collective effort, determined by your guild. There's not much one person alone can do to change it (short of changing guild).

Also, I would not worry about being squishy on the 4th fight of LFR HoF. I doubt that's a problem with you or your gearing. I went splat there just before the reset. I think the problem was the healers did not dispel the haste buff that the menders were giving, so the healers went oom and me and the other tank just kept going splat in quick succession until there were no combat rezzes left. I ended up quitting the group (I was on a alt). Just after the reset, when the player pool is SO much better, that fight was a breeze for my main - I think because a shadow priest kept casting mass dispel.
econ21

Postby suikoji » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:19 am

Ty for your answer i think i can relax and see what happens, if anything goes bad ill be back here again
suikoji

Postby econ21 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:27 am

Jadhzia wrote:At the moment here is my character: Mr. Robot and armory.

I'm wondering where to spend my valor points.

I just realised AMR has a "find upgrades" feature that tells you what's the best use of your VPs. It's a premium feature, but I am using the one week trial.

For your character, it recommends upgrading the chest, then legs, then boots, then trinket and then shield.

I was wrong to recommend the Shieldwall belt. That's highly rated in absolute term, but if you assess it relative to your gear (i.e. take account of the fact that you are hit capped without it), then it's a downgrade.
econ21

Postby Jadhzia » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:08 am

econ21 wrote:I just realised AMR has a "find upgrades" feature that tells you what's the best use of your VPs. It's a premium feature, but I am using the one week trial.

For your character, it recommends upgrading the chest, then legs, then boots, then trinket and then shield.

I was wrong to recommend the Shieldwall belt. That's highly rated in absolute term, but if you assess it relative to your gear (i.e. take account of the fact that you are hit capped without it), then it's a downgrade.

I thought that the only difference between absolute and relative ranking was a shift of the origin of the piece's ranking. ;) The latter just became much more interesting.

Thanks again. :)

Edit: I'm playing with the "What's the best way to spend my valor points" tool now, it's still recommanding the Domination belt as my best way to spend valor points. Am I missing something?
Jadhzia, Protection Paladin, EU-Sargeras
Jadhzia

Postby econ21 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:04 pm

Jadhzia wrote:Edit: I'm playing with the "What's the best way to spend my valor points" tool now, it's still recommanding the Domination belt as my best way to spend valor points. Am I missing something?

That's strange - it's not telling me that, reqardless of how I tweak things. If you choose mastery/control and an absolute ranking, clicking on the belt will imply that the Domination belt is an upgrade. But even then, the "what's the best way to spend my VPs" function does not.
econ21

Postby Foolosophy » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:28 am

Dear all,

I recently got the Tier head from LFR. I was wondering.. what is the best upgrade? The ret piece or the tank piece? I'm hit & expertise capped (although I gemmed for it I guess)

http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/gear/eu/kazzak/foolosophy

(I'm currently in my awful ret gear I guess)
Foolosophy

Postby pedal2000 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:42 pm

Quick question:
http://www.wowhead.com/item=86894

VS

http://www.wowhead.com/item=86042

I just got Normal Haste Trinket from Will so I am wondering which to replace. Gear List is missing them in terms of ranking!
pedal2000

Postby Fetzie » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:25 am

Replace the first one. The proc trinket is firstly a proc trinket, so you have no control over it, and secondly it has a 105 second ICD, so it will hardly ever match up with cooldowns for more DPS.
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby samsara » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:25 am

i would keep the first one :)

fetzie is right about that you have no control about it but it hast about 2500 haste more (which is aroud 5-6% more haste) , you probably have to look a bit closer, i took it because if it procs (easy to check with weakauras) i'm >50% haste and i can renew sacred shield -> 1 tick more.

if you use it to do more dps it's probably the 2nd one you want to keep as you can use it with other raid cooldowns to push it a bit more or with HA (depending if you don't need the cooldown for some serious dmg income later).
samsara

Postby Gab » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:09 am

samsara wrote:i would keep the first one

fetzie is right about that you have no control about it but it hast about 2500 haste more (which is aroud 5-6% more haste) , you probably have to look a bit closer, i took it because if it procs (easy to check with weakauras) i'm >50% haste and i can renew sacred shield -> 1 tick more.

The Figurine is 3595 haste with a 25% uptime which is worth about 900 static rating. The Vortex is 6121 haste with close to 18% uptime which is worth around 1100 rating. Having the ability to choose when you get the benefit, especially for a tank, is worth more than less than a gem's worth of additional stats. Quite often you'll get procs at the worst possible time, such as transitions, tank swaps etc..., and very rarely will you get a proc right when you actually need it.

I'd go with the Figurine, the regular/heroic version of Vortex might make more compelling arguments. Even then I'd probably still go with the Figurine in most circumstances.
Gab

Postby pedal2000 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:32 am

Thanks a ton! I'll replace Vortex then :D
pedal2000

Postby Thels » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:04 am

econ21 wrote:Personally, I'm not sure about spending VPs on the upgrade system until the picture for 5.2 becomes clearer (will VPs be reset? will new VP gear be accessible to "behind the curve" raiders?) so I am probably going to hoard VPs until I reach the 3000 cap.

I actually recommend upgrading whatever you still can, and try to hit 5.2 with as least Valor as you can.

It's not likely that your valor will be converted to justice as 5.2 hits (the valor items still cost valor), but still. The new valor pieces are locked behind raid reputation, so you won't be able to spend your valor during the first two weeks, except on buying old pieces at cheaper prices. And since the upgrade NPCs are gone, that'll be your only option, until you achieve enough raid reputation to buy the new gear.

You don't want to enter 5.2 with close to 3000 valor, and then waste valor because you have nothing to spend it on.

You currently can spend valor on upgrading items, or buying valor pieces. If you're at a level where the valor pieces are still useful to you, then you're not likely going to rocket through the new raid instance, so picking up the items for cheap post-patch would be a good option.
ImageImage
Thels

PreviousNext

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice