Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests Here)

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Re: Gear Check/Advice Thread

Postby Digren » Fri May 21, 2010 10:57 am

cds4850 wrote:Dear Barathorn,

I have 24 emblems of frost saved up. What should I eat for lunch today?

If you had read the FAQ, you would see it clearly states that you should have the taco bowl.
User avatar
Digren
Moderator
 
Posts: 2139
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:41 pm

Re: Gear Check/Advice Thread

Postby Digren » Fri May 21, 2010 11:06 am

Aeilene wrote:So i gotten some progress with my gear and im quiet happy with it actually :)

Anyways i want to change my legs and chest as next parts im depending on my luck to get some trinket drops atm!

Problem is i DONT want to use the skirt i want legs :) and still stay def capped so could i get some suggestions im thinking Cat chest and Pillars but guessing my def will get under capped :/

Suggestions are most appreciated and please check my enchants if they are valid!
http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Bloodscalp&cn=Drakaie

You should be matching your leg and belt socket colors. Agi/Sta gems in red sockets to pick up +9 stamina bonuses is a pretty good idea in my opinion.

Likewise, you should be using the health enchant to chest instead of defense. Keeping the def enchant while making other trades is inefficient.

As of right now you have 790 defense rating for 560 defense. You can lose 101 defense rating and remain at 540 defense. Because you use the resilience shoulder enchant, you can actually drop to 537 defense and still be fine, so you can lose around 115 defense rating and remain uncrittable. Of that, 22 should come from the chest enchant fix right away, leaving around 93 more you can safely lose.

The pillar legs would cost you 90 defense rating, but you would remain uncrittable by relying on your shoulder enchant. If you prefer more padding, buy the cat chest first. It has 37 more defense rating than your current chest (ignoring enchants), so by switching in chest then legs you'd always have a buffer of at least 40 defense rating (i.e. should never fall below about 545 defense).

Good luck!
User avatar
Digren
Moderator
 
Posts: 2139
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:41 pm

Re: Gear Check/Advice Thread

Postby Dashdar » Sat May 22, 2010 5:03 pm

So I have 105 Frost badges now and I'm not sure what to buy.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Eitrigg&cn=Dashdar


I have enough for the helm or chest, but I also do not have the cape yet, which I know is great. And if I got the cape, I would not be far off from getting the trinket too.

I've had bad luck getting tank gear from ICC 10 (2 drops in almost 2 months) so I've been depending a lot of Frost badge gear.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Dash
User avatar
Dashdar
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:12 am

Re: Gear Check/Advice Thread

Postby Digren » Sat May 22, 2010 7:54 pm

Dashdar wrote:So I have 105 Frost badges now and I'm not sure what to buy.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Eitrigg&cn=Dashdar


I have enough for the helm or chest, but I also do not have the cape yet, which I know is great. And if I got the cape, I would not be far off from getting the trinket too.

I've had bad luck getting tank gear from ICC 10 (2 drops in almost 2 months) so I've been depending a lot of Frost badge gear.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Dash

Your first EoF purchase is one of Sentinel's Winter Cloak, Gauntlets of the Kraken, Cataclysmic Chestguard, or Verdegris Chain Belt. Your 2nd, 3rd, and 4th EoF purchases are the remaining 3. Replace weakest gear piece first.

Since you already have the gloves and belt, and your chest is iLvl 245, replace your iLvl 213 cloak.
User avatar
Digren
Moderator
 
Posts: 2139
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:41 pm

Re: Gear Check/Advice Thread

Postby Nothan » Sun May 23, 2010 3:02 am

Here is my pally tank:

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Aerie+Peak&cn=Nothan

I am pretty casual when it comes to raiding, I raid what I can when the opportunity presents itself, so I don't have consistent group going every week on heroic (though this might change in the future depending on work schedule). Just this weekend I got invited to tank heroic ICC10H for a few friends of my guildmate when I have never tanked anything beyond 10/12 before on normal, but surprisingly enough, it wasn't too rough and I ended up downing 11/12 on heroic mode and LK normal as my first tanking anything really hard.

Would there be any specific drops I'd be aiming to get on normal/heroic still given what I have equipped currently? For weapons, I do have a Troggbane(not enchanted yet, just got it tonight)/Bonebreaker Scepter (non-heroic) as my tank weapons and a heroic Soulbreaker as a slow threat/fun weapon and I have a normal Neverending Winter which I don't use since I lose a bit of hit and expertise. Just not too sure what pieces would be an immediate upgrade to what I have now. The chances of me doing a 25man are pretty much slim to none.
Nothan
 
Posts: 115
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:12 pm

Casual choices - 95 EoF and stuck.

Postby Discus » Sun May 23, 2010 4:18 pm

These "what should i spend my badges on threads" annoy me too, but I can't find the answer for an "EoF tortoise" in the guides. I'm a very casual player, mostly heroic dailies and occasional ICC10 as MT. Through dailies and weeklies I've collected another 96 EoF over a few months, no sniggering at my gear please :D

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet ... &cn=Discus

I've read all the excellent gear/EoF spend order guides on here but I'm still stuck - I have the EoF cloak, gloves and belt (offset armour belt and gloves). Experienced players have told me I need 2 piece tier 10 bonus so that would be helm now then shoulders in about errmm.. July. However the offset cataclysmic chest is BIS (for me) and would up my expertise from 21 (with SoV its 26 cap) but realistically this would mean no T10 bonus for me. I have T9 gloves which I wear in heroics for extra threat 2 set bonus. But overgeared dps and annoying offtanks can pull mobs in Raids.
Discus
 
Posts: 720
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:28 am

Re: Casual choices - 95 EoF and stuck.

Postby yappo » Mon May 24, 2010 12:47 am

Discus wrote:These "what should i spend my badges on threads" annoy me too, but I can't find the answer for an "EoF tortoise" in the guides. I'm a very casual player, mostly heroic dailies and occasional ICC10 as MT. Through dailies and weeklies I've collected another 96 EoF over a few months, no sniggering at my gear please :D

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet ... &cn=Discus

I've read all the excellent gear/EoF spend order guides on here but I'm still stuck - I have the EoF cloak, gloves and belt (offset armour belt and gloves). Experienced players have told me I need 2 piece tier 10 bonus so that would be helm now then shoulders in about errmm.. July. However the offset cataclysmic chest is BIS (for me) and would up my expertise from 21 (with SoV its 26 cap) but realistically this would mean no T10 bonus for me. I have T9 gloves which I wear in heroics for extra threat 2 set bonus. But overgeared dps and annoying offtanks can pull mobs in Raids.


Short answer: Cata Chest.

Long answer: Cataclysmic Chestguard.
yappo
 
Posts: 1107
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:15 pm

Re: Casual choices - 95 EoF and stuck.

Postby Barathorn » Mon May 24, 2010 1:17 am

yappo wrote:
Discus wrote:These "what should i spend my badges on threads" annoy me too, but I can't find the answer for an "EoF tortoise" in the guides. I'm a very casual player, mostly heroic dailies and occasional ICC10 as MT. Through dailies and weeklies I've collected another 96 EoF over a few months, no sniggering at my gear please :D

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet ... &cn=Discus

I've read all the excellent gear/EoF spend order guides on here but I'm still stuck - I have the EoF cloak, gloves and belt (offset armour belt and gloves). Experienced players have told me I need 2 piece tier 10 bonus so that would be helm now then shoulders in about errmm.. July. However the offset cataclysmic chest is BIS (for me) and would up my expertise from 21 (with SoV its 26 cap) but realistically this would mean no T10 bonus for me. I have T9 gloves which I wear in heroics for extra threat 2 set bonus. But overgeared dps and annoying offtanks can pull mobs in Raids.


Short answer: Cata Chest.

Long answer: Cataclysmic Chestguard.


I agree and also disagree. Biggest upgrade definately but it will also completely clean you out of badges and I feel for Discus 2 upgrades are better than 1 in this case.

I would go T10 shoulders [BiS for casual players who only do 10 mans] and then run/pug VoA 10 and 25 every week for a leg or gloves drop. That leaves you 36 badges towards your next piece. Get a lucky drop from VoA and you have the two piece bonus, albeit not the optimal one.

I do have to mention that your gemming looks quite odd to me. Are you logged in a hybrid threat set? I don't understand the hybrid expertise, hit and parry gems even as valid choices for matching socket bonuses.

If threat is an issue, use the 200 strength proc bonus libram.

Barathorn
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
User avatar
Barathorn
Moderator
 
Posts: 7112
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:08 am
Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Re: Gear Check/Advice Thread

Postby Barathorn » Mon May 24, 2010 5:54 am

Naberius wrote: My question is this; The iLvl245 chest from Blacksmithing, is that any good? I have already started collecting some tanking items for when I hit 80 like the iLvl 264 BoE ring drop from ICC, the 245 crafted bracers, Titansteel Shield wall amongst others. Which items would you recommend I go for first assuming that gold isn't much of an issue?

Regards,

Naberius


Naberius is a new paladin tank leveling to 80 so any help people can give him in this thread would be great.

Barathorn
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
User avatar
Barathorn
Moderator
 
Posts: 7112
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:08 am
Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Re: Gear Check/Advice Thread

Postby Kasim » Mon May 24, 2010 6:28 am

I'm not sure which piece of gear I should go for next. I am currently gearing up in Heroics but keep running into problems. I have the rotation down, threat is mostly a none issue, I just feel really squishy. I'm not quite at the recommended defense rating but I'm not far from it either. I was thinking of getting http://www.wowhead.com/item=47731 next to go ahead and cap defense rating but I still feel that I'll see a greater increase by replacing my Chest with tier 9. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Kasim
http://armorylite.com/us/Baelgun/Kasim
Kasim
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon May 24, 2010 6:15 am

Re: Gear Check/Advice Thread

Postby Epimer » Mon May 24, 2010 7:01 am



Gem and enchant your stuff and you'll feel considerably less squishy. A second tank trinket should also be a priority, but you could be uncrittable (535/540 is not a cap, it's a minimum) from either a +22 def enchant on your chest or +20 def on your shield. I can understand not wanting to spend gold on <iLvl 200 blues, but there's no excuse for missing gems in your legs, wrists and belt.
User avatar
Epimer
 
Posts: 1496
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:54 am

Re: Casual choices - 95 EoF and stuck.

Postby Discus » Mon May 24, 2010 9:25 am

Thanks. I did purchase the cata chest, then got paranoid about not realistically being able to collect 155 EoFs to ever get the 2 piece T10 bonus and sold it back to vendor and posted this thread instead :roll:

The shoulders are an option I'd not considered, I don't really run voa (dont enjoy it) but I should maybe look into it.

My gems are a mess, yeah, since I run lots of 5 mans I like to max my dps and I found it really difficult to hit the expertise cap with so little on my gear. What would you suggest I swap the hybrid expertise gems for and will the lack of expertise matter in raids?

Thanks for the ret libram trick, I have one in bag for offset and never thought to use as protection. I don't really have threat issues, but strangely I have noticed when I tank raids the offtank (DK or warrior usually) almost always out aggros me, despite the fact I'm doing almost twice their dps (yes I do have rf on)
Discus
 
Posts: 720
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:28 am

Re: Casual choices - 95 EoF and stuck.

Postby golfinguy » Mon May 24, 2010 9:43 am

Discus wrote:Thanks. I did purchase the cata chest, then got paranoid about not realistically being able to collect 155 EoFs to ever get the 2 piece T10 bonus and sold it back to vendor and posted this thread instead :roll:

The shoulders are an option I'd not considered, I don't really run voa (dont enjoy it) but I should maybe look into it.



VOA takes 10 minutes - suck it up :wink: . Benefit vs. time spent = very good.
golfinguy
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:24 am

Re: Gear Check/Advice Thread

Postby econ21 » Mon May 24, 2010 9:48 am

Barathorn wrote:Naberius is a new paladin tank leveling to 80 so any help people can give him in this thread would be great.


I'd say the 245 crafted chest is great for a (loaded) new level 80 tankadin. I kept mine for months, only now upgrading to the cataclysmic chestguard after buying other emblem of frost gear first (trinket, belt, gloves, cloak). If you are going to raid ICC quickly, then you might hold off, as superior chests drop early on (from Lady Gaga ICC10, IIRC). But I have only started doing that recently.

The other crafted tank gear really worth getting are the 264 legs and boots. Yes, they are expensive but they are BiS or close to it and - on my server at least - not much more than the 264 BoE ring which Naberius mentioned, plus he said gold was not a constraint.

The other two titansteel items (helm and boots) are fine for starter items - they won't break the bank, but you will replace them with other stuff quickly.
econ21
 
Posts: 1381
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:53 am

Re: Gear Check/Advice Thread

Postby Kasim » Mon May 24, 2010 10:07 am

Epimer wrote:


Gem and enchant your stuff and you'll feel considerably less squishy. A second tank trinket should also be a priority, but you could be uncrittable (535/540 is not a cap, it's a minimum) from either a +22 def enchant on your chest or +20 def on your shield. I can understand not wanting to spend gold on <iLvl 200 blues, but there's no excuse for missing gems in your legs, wrists and belt.

Thank you much! I'll go ahead and drop the gold to make those better... any suggestions on what I should buy next or should the Trinket be my next goal?

Thank you,
Kasim
Kasim
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon May 24, 2010 6:15 am

PreviousNext

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest

Who is online

In total there are 3 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest