Remove Advertisements

When to use stam trinkets?

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Postby GIGA-KNIGHT!! » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:09 pm

2.4 -> Commendation of Kael'thas -> 2 stamina trinkets and 0.5 avoidance trinket -> Win. :D
GIGA-KNIGHT!!
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:31 pm

Postby honorshammer » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:11 pm

Dorvan wrote:
Honorshammer wrote::shock:

Does each tank infront of him check it or is it driven by the primary tank? Would I just dodge my half of it?

I can't recall ever seeing a dodge, miss, or parry on that fight, but it's not like I'm constantly watching my combat log.


It can be avoided, and avoiding it does not cause the other tank to eat the full blow.


Dang, I LOVE these boards!!
User avatar
honorshammer
Moderator
 
Posts: 2147
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:35 am
Location: Charleston, SC

Postby Kalor » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:49 pm

GIGA-KNIGHT!! wrote:2.4 -> Commendation of Kael'thas -> 2 stamina trinkets and 0.5 avoidance trinket -> Win. :D

I've been looking at that trinket as well, however I'm still questioning what would be the best pairing with it.

Pocketwatch combined with the trinket proc (assuming they stack) will give a massive avoidance boost which can get you into the green.

DMC:V will give the extra stamina. And I like more HP.
Kalor
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:19 pm

Postby kalbear » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:52 pm

In most progression cases I'd favor the Moroes, just because having an actual OhShit button would be good. For non-progression or in some other cases more stam would be better.
kalbear
 
Posts: 1337
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:11 pm

Postby Songblade » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:06 pm

Would it ever be appropriate to use a spell damage trinket? This is something I have considered, but never really tried.
Image

[Insert witty comment here]
User avatar
Songblade
 
Posts: 552
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:46 pm
Location: Interdimensional Limbo

Postby Rasmfrackn » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:02 pm

Ever? Sure. Whenever you're not actually afraid of dying.

Primarily threat fights where you have a fairly short enrage timer, or a lot of threat wipes, or any other form of threat fight. It's tough to make a threat fight also require a survival check, since the two are generally at odds.

I used my won-that-night T5 trinket on VR last night, and it proced about 10 times in the 7 minute fight. What else was I going to wear... my rocket launcher? Our healers DO still have issues following tank transitions, sadly, but that's not something a trinket is going to fix on its own.

An activatable spelldmg trinket is probably best (badge trinket, ZA trinket), but other options like mag's eye (since we don't like/use spell hit often) or the T5 class trinket seem reasonable too.

Heck, the new pvp/badge hybrid trinket for spelldamage + LGG effect sounds pretty nice to me.
Rasmfrackn
Dwarf Paladin
Icecrown Server
Eng/Scribe/Masochist
User avatar
Rasmfrackn
 
Posts: 1014
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:11 pm

Postby Eanin » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:51 am

It's best to have a variety of trinkets. In fact, because trinkets are so powerful and specialized, you can pretty much make a "threat set" just by swapping around your trinkets.

I'm seriously considering double stamina for my "tank set". I can get to 16.7k hitpoints that way and still maintain 50% avoidance. We're doing a lot of progression, and I need a thicker wall to stop those mack trucks :).
Image
Image
User avatar
Eanin
 
Posts: 858
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:47 am

Postby Lieris » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:08 am

The passive avoidance or on use ability of an avoidance trinket is more likely to save your life than an extra 600 HP.
Lieris
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 2181
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:49 am

Postby Eanin » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:14 am

It depends. When I'm fighting something that is really scary, I'm most likely to die to a "Murphy's Law" death than anything else. More EH is better when whatever can go wrong does go wrong.

I also have "day-to-day" tanking set with an avoidance trinket and the Libram of Divine Purpose for when we're not doing progression and when I don't feel undergeared. I'm pretty sure it's the one in armory right now.
Image
Image
User avatar
Eanin
 
Posts: 858
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:47 am

Postby Gimorth » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:18 am

Lieris wrote:The passive avoidance or on use ability of an avoidance trinket is more likely to save your life than an extra 600 HP.


The truth of this statement is situational. Additionally, by saying this you are essentially saying that 2x Avoidance Trinkets is better than 1 Avoidance + 1 Stam.

In most cases, 1 of each is probably the way to go, as your trinkets are the easiest way to round out your stats. Crushable? A single trinket can close the gap. Low on HP? A single trinket can close that gap, too. The same can't generally be said about any other slot.

However, I would avoid saying that 2x either type is "never" or "always" the way to go. A good tank is going to have different sets of trinkets for different situations.
Gimorth
 
Posts: 107
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:10 am

Postby Lieris » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:23 am

Just sayin' very rarely would the extra HP on a 2nd stamina trinket have prevented one of my deaths whilst a nice streak of avoidance has done. Yes avoidance is chance and healers shouldn't let you get that low but it does happen and it feels really badass when it does :P It also very useful during "soft" enrages.

The truth of this statement is situational. Additionally, by saying this you are essentially saying that 2x Avoidance Trinkets is better than 1 Avoidance + 1 Stam.


Not really, I still quite often need a stamina trinket to meet HP requirements. A second one however is just over kill. Commendation of Kaelthas is very OP though and combines the two.
Lieris
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 2181
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:49 am

Postby dab » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:25 am

I don't get it.

You recommend putting stamina gems everywhere without bothering with socket bonuses, because stamina is so much bettre than other stats.

Then, regarding trinkets, you say you have too much health and you need dodge.
Imho you should put dodge gems in your red sockets and you would get socket bonuses and you could use 2 stam trinkets.
ImageImage
dab
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:46 am
Location: France

Postby Shamora » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:32 am

dab wrote:I don't get it.

You recommend putting stamina gems everywhere without bothering with socket bonuses, because stamina is so much bettre than other stats.

Then, regarding trinkets, you say you have too much health and you need dodge.
Imho you should put dodge gems in your red sockets and you would get socket bonuses and you could use 2 stam trinkets.


Trinkets are meant to be flexible while the gems static. Different fights have different needs and trinkets allow us to adapt.
Hearthstone Arena Stats
Server: PVP US Warsong, Horde - <Orbit>
Main: Keondra, Delver of the Vaults, Lvl 90 Assassination Rogue
User avatar
Shamora
 
Posts: 1443
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:10 am
Location: In your Imagination

Postby fuzzygeek » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:33 am

Worldie wrote:2 stam trinket is never the right answer.

2 avoidance trinket is as well never the right answer unless you need them for uncrushabilty.


I'd argue it's situational.

If you're fighting a caster (say, H.MgT Kael), then stam works.

If you're fighting a boss that does enough damage to leapfrog your AD, then that 600 hp might not matter all that much.
Image
User avatar
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 5130
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:58 pm

Postby Lieris » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:40 am

dab wrote:I don't get it.

You recommend putting stamina gems everywhere without bothering with socket bonuses, because stamina is so much bettre than other stats.

Then, regarding trinkets, you say you have too much health and you need dodge.
Imho you should put dodge gems in your red sockets and you would get socket bonuses and you could use 2 stam trinkets.


That's an interesting take on it, I will look into the maths later) but you have +10 stam on gloves and +stats on other items so that does not bode well :P Also it is easy to swap around trinkets based on your role and gems do not give you on use abilities. The on use of Shadowmoon Insignia is fantastic.

Getting crimson spinels is also harder than killing Illidan.
Lieris
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 2181
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:49 am

PreviousNext

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


Remove Advertisements

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest
?php } else { ?