Remove Advertisements

Please Help the noob

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Please Help the noob

Postby vladpl » Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:03 pm

Hi All

I am new to tanking and have read a lot of posts here and have learned a great deal from you guys.

Reading trough the forum I constantly come up to the question are you uncrittable or are you uncrushable. From my understanding having defence 490+ will make you uncrittable (mine is 501 atm). Now my biggest problem that is getting more and more confusing as I read trough forum is being uncrushable. I have read a lot on this topic and even downloaded spreadsheets. Unfortunately I am a noob and don't understand half the terminology used. Could someone look at my gear please and tell me "ok you noob you need more dodge or parry or change this or change that" I have even put my armory link on rate my spec and no one responded :( Would you all knowing tankadins please help me as I am going deeper in to karahzan and I would like to perform well for my guild as you know that if I don't perform they will replace me with a warrior. I am looking foreward to your replies with anticipation . Thanks in advance.

http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/chara ... h&n=Vladpl

sorry guys I can't make the link appear properly.....could you please copy and paste it :(
vladpl

Postby Liadrin » Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:34 pm

I'll take a stab at giving a simple explanation. No guarantees though:

Basically, everytime a mob attacks you, there are a number of things that can happen:

Miss, Dodge, Parry, Block, Regular Hit, Critical Hit (200% damage), Crushing Blow (150% damage).

It is correct that reaching 490 defense removes critical hits from level 73 mobs (raid bosses). This is the most important. Crits suck.

In order to remove crushing blows from the hit table, you need to effectively remove regular blows as a possibility, because Missed, dodged, parried and blocked hits can not be crushing blows. Therefore, the goal is to get enough dodge, parry and block so that it totals more than 102.4% (100% adjusted for the 3 levels that raid bosses are above you) so that EVERY attack against you is a miss/dodge/parry/block, and never a regular hit, therefore never a crushing blow.

Luckily, Holy Shield provides 30% of this when it's up, 35.3% if you have the libram of repentance, which costs 15 badges of justice and is a must for every beginning karazhan tankadin.

Therefore, the goal to reach is 67.1% of your miss/dodge/parry/block (102.4% - 35.3%). If you do not have the libram of repentance, this goal balloons to 72.4% (102.4% - 30%). You can see if you have this by adding up these percentages on your character page. You can find out your miss% by adding 5% (the natural chance of a mob to miss you) to the percentage you get when you mouse over your defense.

According to your armory page, your stats are as follows:

504 defense (5% + 6.04% miss)
13.87% dodge
17.65% parry
15.99% block

This adds up to 58.55%. This means that you need to find an extra 13.85% of miss/dodge/parry/block from gear upgrades to reach uncrushable. If you get the libram of repentance, that number goes down to 8.55%. I suggest you target block rating, as it's the cheapest in terms of rating to %, followed by dodge, then defense, then parry in that order.

If there's anything I'm leaving out or mistaken about, please correct/point out. If you need further clarification on anything, let me know as well.

Hope this helps.
Liadrin

Postby Jensaarai » Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:14 pm

Check out Lore's post for more information on the attack table and crushing blows as well :)

http://www.failsafedesign.com/maintanka ... .php?t=331

It'll be really good if you learn it for yourself, because you're going to have to make a lot of gear decisions that could depend on it :)
Jensaarai - 85 Prot Paladin (Lost Isles - US)
Endüre - 85 Prot Warrior (Lost Isles - US)
Jensaarai

Postby Liadrin » Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:00 pm

Jensaarai wrote:Check out Lore's post for more information on the attack table and crushing blows as well :)

http://www.failsafedesign.com/maintanka ... .php?t=331

It'll be really good if you learn it for yourself, because you're going to have to make a lot of gear decisions that could depend on it :)

Yeah that's better.
Liadrin

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice