Remove Advertisements

Resilience Rating & Crits.

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Postby kurros » Thu May 31, 2007 1:27 pm

Lore wrote:They "replace" hits on the table, yeah, but that just means that spot isn't a hit anymore. "Hit" never enters into the equation. The system rolls a 20 or whatever, and goes "Okay that's a dodge" and sends out the results. It's not a "Okay, it would be a hit, but he's got this much dodge, so it's a dodge instead." Were resilience to just reduce the chance to be crit in the way the defense does, the system would look at the attack table, go "Okay, that's a hit" with no heed whatsoever as to why it's a hit and not a crit.

The second roll is only for resilience, much like there's a second roll with spells purely for resistance-based resists.

You missed my point.

Functionally, the system looks and says okay that was a dodge, NO DAMAGE DELT, trigger overpower.

Or... the system might get a miss, say NO DAMAGE DELT.

Dodge and miss both give the same net effect to the defending player, except dodge triggers overpower while miss doesn't. This doesn't mean dodge is on a second roll, they are both still on the same roll.

They could very easily treat resilience the same way.

Defense- system looks and says okay that was hit, not a crit, regular damage delt.

Resilience- system looks and says okay that was a hit, but it's going to trigger specials as if it was a crit.

Works perfectly fine with a single roll, and the only difference between this and the dodge/miss scenario is that the message in your combat log looks the same in both cases- but internally, the game tracks resilienced crits differently from defensed crits.
Anyway, lets just agree to disagree. Go away, or I'll just start reporting you to the mods for being a troll. In exchange, I'll stop pointing out your stupid in public.
kurros

Postby Lore » Thu May 31, 2007 2:00 pm

Er, yeah, I knew that's what you were saying. I think you missed MY point ;)

See, you're putting the end result of the attack roll as "no damage dealt." That's actually another step all on its own past the attack roll step. The result from the attack roll is the fact that it's a dodge. Any computation beyond that point uses that result, but does not influence it.

The reason resilience is different is because it's not a guaranteed result based on what the attack table came up with. Whereas every dodge triggers Overpower, not every crit is turned into a hit by resilience (well, unless the target has enough crit to overcome that, but the system has to check that as well). So while the dodge/overpower procedure looks like this:

Attack Roll --> Dodge
Activate Overpower

the resilience method looks more like this:
Attack Roll --> Crit
Check Resilience (random number from 0 to the attack's crit chance) --> if the result is <= defender's Resilience, convert to Hit
Activate Flurry

The reason it can't work simply by reducing the amount of crit on the attack table is because Crushing Blows would fall into that spot, not Hit. If you say the attack table looks like this:

Miss (0-5)
Dodge (5-20)
Parry (20-35)
Block (35-65)
Crit (65-70)
Crush (70-85)
Hit (85-100)

and then reduce the chance to be crit by 2%, it then becomes:

Miss (0-5)
Dodge (5-20)
Parry (20-35)
Block (35-65)
Crit (65-67)
Crush (67-82)
Hit (82-100)

A result of 68 in the first table would have been a crit, however if resilience just reduced the chance to be crit, by the second table it would have been a Crushing Blow.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby kurros » Thu May 31, 2007 2:40 pm

I am saying this is how it works.

Base-

Miss (0-5)
Dodge (5-20)
Parry (20-35)
Block (35-65)
Crit (65-70)
Crush (70-85)
Hit (85-100)

Add enough resilience to remove 5% crit.

Miss (0-5)
Dodge (5-20)
Parry (20-35)
Block (35-65)
Crush (65-80)
Resilienced Hit (80-85)
Hit (85-100)

Single roll.
Anyway, lets just agree to disagree. Go away, or I'll just start reporting you to the mods for being a troll. In exchange, I'll stop pointing out your stupid in public.
kurros

Postby Lore » Thu May 31, 2007 3:28 pm

Ahh, yeah that could work. Interesting. I wonder if there's a way to test it.
Lore
Global Mod

Previous

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice