When agro isn't a concern.

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

When agro isn't a concern.

Postby Daedallus » Tue May 29, 2007 1:47 pm

I understand that when tanking harder instances, raid targets, ect. wielding a spell damage main hand is a must, as it allows us to bulk up on avoidance in our other slots while still having a respectable amount of +dmg for threat purposes.

What about when your not tanking a heroic, or karazan? Does the spell damage weapon add as much dps as say, equipping a high DPS weapon while grinding faction/questing?

I duo with a holy priest pretty much non stop while not in instances, and kill rate is our biggest concern, its not like she is ever going to pull agro from me. How do other "tankadins" dps? i find getting a big 2h doesn't really do the trick, as most of my talents involve 1h and shield, and i do similar dmg with them. Do you just swap out avoidance/mitigation gear for more + spell dmg gear and keep your Crystalforge equipped, or do you just get a high dps 1h and a STR/AGI set?

Don't lynch me, but i have a Blinkstrike that i've put 40 spell dmg on, and i have a grand time watching the extra attack procs during Reckoning :)

BTW, i know all about AE grinding, but sometimes thats not really an option, especially when a lot of the mobs your grinding are casters, ect.
Daedallus

Postby corc » Tue May 29, 2007 3:34 pm

Are you just talking about solo/duoing quests or normal 5mans too?

I like to max out my +dam as much as possible while keeping some defence up for normal 5mans. The spell damage sword helps out a lot (about 25% of the +dam i usually have). A lot of the time (since I use max rank consecrate) I'm the top or near top dps on the meters in 5mans and see myself helping the progression of the group a great deal in that way. Sure I drink every 3 or so pulls but ive got so little mana it only takes a few seconds to fill up. (also if you have a restro shamy, earth shield is enough healing for a lot of the pulls, a buddy complains that he doesnt have to heal once during the orge boss in SH besides putting that shield on me)

As for soloing, I use to go along with a mage friend and that was just bad. I was just a walking Blessing of Wisdom caster it seemed. I liked to build up my dots and damage until it totally owned the mob while the mage would own it in the first 5-6s. If we were aoe'ing then it went a bit better, but had to drink after each fight or the next if we were up to the gamble.

Others here will help you with soloing but here's what I'd try: I think that if you collected a bunch of the blue ret gear and a nice 2H and smacked SoR on it you'd do just fine soloing. The SoR will have a higher hit because of the slow weapon and you can still have your imp RF on to keep aggro with ret aura or something like that. Maybe alternate a judgment of light and wisdom between mobs to keep health and mana up.
corc

Re: When agro isn't a concern.

Postby Raskii » Wed May 30, 2007 5:15 am

Daedallus wrote:I understand that when tanking harder instances, raid targets, ect. wielding a spell damage main hand is a must, as it allows us to bulk up on avoidance in our other slots while still having a respectable amount of +dmg for threat purposes.

What about when your not tanking a heroic, or karazan? Does the spell damage weapon add as much dps as say, equipping a high DPS weapon while grinding faction/questing?

I duo with a holy priest pretty much non stop while not in instances, and kill rate is our biggest concern, its not like she is ever going to pull agro from me. How do other "tankadins" dps? i find getting a big 2h doesn't really do the trick, as most of my talents involve 1h and shield, and i do similar dmg with them. Do you just swap out avoidance/mitigation gear for more + spell dmg gear and keep your Crystalforge equipped, or do you just get a high dps 1h and a STR/AGI set?

Don't lynch me, but i have a Blinkstrike that i've put 40 spell dmg on, and i have a grand time watching the extra attack procs during Reckoning :)

BTW, i know all about AE grinding, but sometimes thats not really an option, especially when a lot of the mobs your grinding are casters, ect.

As prot, I found that you could do pretty sweet damage with a good 2H weapon (like The Oathkeeper or Torn-heart Axe of Battle). Hit 'em with a JotC, seal Righteousness and wait for a Reckoning proc. With my current solo/+Spell damage gear and Oathkeeper, I was doing 700-800 damage a swing. With Reckoning, that's an average of about 500 DPS! :shock:
Raskii

Postby Lore » Wed May 30, 2007 7:14 am

I put on a 2hander and use Seal of Blood. Mmmm... Seal of Blood.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Alixander » Wed May 30, 2007 7:25 am

Lore wrote:I put on a 2hander and use Seal of Blood. Mmmm... Seal of Blood.
Hush you heathen hordie! ;)
Alixander

Postby Daedallus » Wed May 30, 2007 7:46 am

Thanks for the replies

*grumble stupid seal of blood*

Last night i was duoing/questing near ogri'la and really looked at our kill rate, and honestly, its not that bad. we have zero downtime, and i never use SoV because by the time its doing anything considerable, even elites are dead.
Daedallus

Postby Coldaan » Wed May 30, 2007 12:03 pm

teaming up with a holy priest is always good. holy nova ftw!^^
makes AOE farming really fast and efficient.
Coldaan

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice