Remove Advertisements

Is Engineering mandatory?

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Postby Dreamcrusher » Wed May 23, 2007 8:33 am

I was Engineering since way before the patch, and was considering dropping it til the goggles were revealed.

The new grenades seem pretty cool (Frost Nova bomb basically) and the stam trinket (rocket launcher for me) is alright. I can use the launcher for ~1k burst threat on a pull, but I would much rather have http://www.wowhead.com/?item=30620.

The helm itself is just amazing. It's got more avoidance than my t4 helm and some extra hit rating instead of spell damage. It's a lot more stam, and I gemmed mine imperfectly, but with an enduring talasite and a powerful earth storm diamond, you're getting 97 stamina from the helm alone. It put me at 11k unbuffed. :D

I dunno about mandatory, many other professions are viable, but until you can get an equivalent, I think it's very worth it to give up a profession slot for the helm alone. Grenades are fun too. :P
<3
Dreamcrusher

Postby Dragonzbane » Wed May 23, 2007 9:26 am

eia wrote:
Julian wrote:apparently there are also blacksmithing recipes that produce high-quality BoP tanking plate dropping off of trash in SSC and TK, which is of course really nice for those of us who aren't blacksmiths.

Ah, didn't know about that, that makes it less awful indeed.
So far I had seen no point at all to be a blacksmith and a lot to be an engineer you see. :)

Would you guys just stop?

Grass is always greener people.

I've been an engineer for years, and it's not worth the hassle right now.
Even with the Helm and trinkets.

There's nothing of use in Engineering that you can't replace.
Trinkets, yup there's other trinkets
Helm, you there's other helms

I don't pvp anymore so all the bombs, grenades and ice grenades are worthless.
Potion Injectors?
Turrets?
Tonks?
Robots?
Mailboxes?
Repairbots?

None of that is useful anymore, even the Repairbots as there's always a repair NPC near instances now, it's not like MC, BWL, AQ or Naxx anymore.

The biggest problem is there are very few ways to make money with engineering and there are no big ticket items to sell. The only thing possible is the gun but thats at the end of the line and most guilds will probably have someone who'll make it for free as is trainable and not a drop.

I've never been able to sell anything from engineering for more than 5g.
That's why I'm still a long way away from getting my epic riding skill.
Questing and mining are my only sources of income and I don't have much time for those.
Dragonzbane

Postby Lore » Wed May 23, 2007 5:52 pm

Check out what just dropped in our TK tonight:

(sorry for the full size pic, still in TK :P)
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Aergis » Wed May 23, 2007 6:02 pm

Oh man Lore. I just dropped 365 BS for engineering. Got the helm and trinket, so I was ok with it... Now this? ><

I should have dropped enchanting instead...
Aergis
Site Admin

Postby Lorath » Thu May 24, 2007 12:26 pm

Nice drop Lore!
I do not regret for one second tho that I dropped BS for JC. I've had more fun, use and profit from 1 months JC than combined total 2 years blacksmith. Of course they sneak in unannounced BS plans, we've screamed for months about the lack of good stuff. The few times they actually listen we still get screwed... is that drop from The Eye? Another example of Blizzard humor then.
Lorath, Human 80 Swedish Viking Tankadin, EU Bloodhoof
www.kingsandaces.eu
Lorath

Postby Lore » Thu May 24, 2007 1:01 pm

Lorath wrote:Nice drop Lore!
I do not regret for one second tho that I dropped BS for JC. I've had more fun, use and profit from 1 months JC than combined total 2 years blacksmith. Of course they sneak in unannounced BS plans, we've screamed for months about the lack of good stuff. The few times they actually listen we still get screwed... is that drop from The Eye? Another example of Blizzard humor then.

It drops in The Eye, but notice that the mats are all attained outside of raids, and the pattern itself is BoE. I'd imagine an enterprising blacksmith without access to TK could convince a guild to sell that to them.

We have 0 blacksmithing tanks at the moment, so it's just sitting in our guild bank :P
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Ezmoad » Thu May 24, 2007 1:32 pm

but, you dont have to be a blacksmith to wear this ;)
Ezmoad

Postby Lore » Thu May 24, 2007 1:37 pm

The item is BoP.

It doesn't require blacksmithing, so you could grind up blacksmithing, craft the boots, and then drop smithing for something else... but that'd be silly.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Ezmoad » Thu May 24, 2007 2:02 pm

oh duh, im stupid
Ezmoad

Postby Julian » Thu May 24, 2007 2:33 pm

I'd anticipate those boots becoming BoE-- it seems like an oversight honestly.

You shouldn't have to be a blacksmith to benefit from a progression drop.
Julian

Postby Shai » Thu May 24, 2007 3:21 pm

I think it's very much intended that the boots are BoP. There are two types of patterns that seems to drop. Type 1 is BoP pattern which makes BoE item and uses vortexes and much mats. These items can be made for anybody and you can also sell them to outside your guild for nice profit. Type 2 is BoE pattern which makes a BoP item and uses primal neathers and very little mats. These items seem to be ment as a bonus for those who picked that profession and since the patterns are BoE you'll eventually be able to pick your up at the closest AH even if you don't raid. There's plenty of normal items drops anyway.
Shai

Postby Lore » Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:53 am

Sorry for the thread necromancy, but thought you guys might be interested to know - we don't have any Blacksmithing tanks (or tanks who want to go through all the hassle of raising it) so we sold that pattern for 500g. Not too bad at all, I don't think.

Still waiting for the BoE tankadin belt plans to drop ><
Lore
Global Mod

Postby eia » Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:02 am

Thanks for the update Lore. :)
Actually forgot to mention, but 2 of them were up on AH for 500/1k ea. just the other day. I'll be getting one for myself as soon as I reckon I can afford them. :)
"It takes two to cuddle."
eia

Postby Dorven » Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:58 pm

Wow, actually a reason for a Paladin to have Blacksmithing.
Dorven

Postby Arcand » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:09 pm

They'll put in another Sageblade, just you wait!

> >

< <

><
Arcand

Previous

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice