Is Engineering mandatory?

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Is Engineering mandatory?

Postby eia » Tue May 22, 2007 5:59 am

I've been stewing on this for a while now, and what with the announcement that they will make the new engineering goggles released in 2.1 upgradable to be useful to "(almost) every engineer". (Why the h is this not armorsmithing??) I have basically come to the conclusion that Engineering is quickly becoming mandatory for paladin tanks.

My main reasoning for this is the +45 stam trinkets (poultryizer or rocket launcher) and the tankatronic goggles.

As you might realise, it's the stam I'm after basically. I have "enough" defense, dodge, block etc. but I just have no chance of for example tanking Maulgar without him having a chance at two-shotting me on two quick specials, making me just too dependant on luck.

I've always been a Miner/Blacksmith, and I would hate to drop one of them, but I just don't see a reason for having BS any longer when the best tanking helmet and trinkets come from engineering.

I know there are other stamina trinkets out there, but apart from the one from netherwing rep grinding there is no match to the engineering ones, and I could really use two stamina trinkets.

Any ideas?
"It takes two to cuddle."
eia

Postby Romie » Tue May 22, 2007 7:03 am

next patch you will be able to get a 45 stam trinket if your revered with netherwing faction, and i think one drops in an instance but its only around 2x stam.
Image Image
Romie

Postby Joanadark » Tue May 22, 2007 7:04 am

nothing is manditory.

real gamers don't even use monitors or a mouse, they control their character by making screeching and hooting noises into a phone line.
Arkham's Razor: a theory which states the simplest explaination tends to lead to Cthulu.
Joanadark

Postby Torakka » Tue May 22, 2007 7:05 am

Argussian Compass has 36 stamina and it drops from Black Stalker, the last boss of heroic Underbog.
http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/a ... /ezarioth/ -retired, maybe this time for real...
Torakka

Postby eia » Tue May 22, 2007 7:13 am

I could have made a more extensive post to begin with, but I just got exhausted by it all. :P

Even if it isn't mandatory per se, it is for me, if I am to try to survive fights like Maulgar, as I stated.
I know of the netherwing rep one, it's in my post. I know about the compass, tried to farm for it, but it refuses to drop for me. Right now getting rep with KoT for timelapse shard instead, having the violet eye trinket too.

Netherwing rep one is the only one comparable to the engineering one, and pair them together for 1k hp from trinkets alone.
Is it really not just gimping myself for no reason by sticking to BS when Engineering seems to be so much better?
eia

Postby Torakka » Tue May 22, 2007 7:15 am

You can also keep BS in hopes of it getting buffed or something and drop mining for engi.
http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/a ... /ezarioth/ -retired, maybe this time for real...
Torakka

Postby Alixander » Tue May 22, 2007 7:42 am

Joanadark wrote:real gamers don't even use monitors or a mouse, they control their character by making screeching and hooting noises into a phone line.
You almost made me get in trouble for laughing too hard at work, showing I wasn't actually working.

As for this, I agree with the basic point of nothing is mandatory. Might it help? Yes. Could it be more helpful than other crafts, that's possible. But the flip side is that you give up certain business possibilities with engineering. In crafts like Jewelcrafting, you can sell the gems for a profit. For engineering, in most cases you can only sell to other engineers.
Alixander

Postby Joanadark » Tue May 22, 2007 11:06 am

I'm a big fan of the herbalism/mining combo myself. or else herbalism/disenchanting.

currently Armoursmithing/Mining on my pally toon though.
Arkham's Razor: a theory which states the simplest explaination tends to lead to Cthulu.
Joanadark

Postby Sinfonian » Tue May 22, 2007 4:54 pm

I don't believe Engineering is mandatory, but it's pretty helpful. I wouldn't drop Armorsmithing just yet, as it may soon be changed.
Someday I'll eventually log out in gear I actually tank with.
http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/chara ... =Sinfonian
Sinfonian

Postby Everlight » Tue May 22, 2007 5:40 pm

I dropped Blacksmithing at 2.0 for Engineering, since there was nothing useful in Blacksmithing at all, and I like the idea of Engineering.

Boy, did that pay off :P
Everlight

Postby Joanadark » Tue May 22, 2007 9:48 pm

thing is....I dropped engineering FOR blacksmithing back in the day.....

can't bring myself to reverse that yet again.

grenades and retribution used to be so incredibly sexy though...
Joanadark

Postby eia » Wed May 23, 2007 2:43 am

Seems I didn't need to be as pessimistic after all... since apparently Violet Badge (which I already used as stam trinket, for lack of better) got buffed from 18 to 36 stam.
Now I just need a Compass or at least a Timelapse Shard and I should be fine. :)
eia

Postby Julian » Wed May 23, 2007 4:24 am

apparently there are also blacksmithing recipes that produce high-quality BoP tanking plate dropping off of trash in SSC and TK, which is of course really nice for those of us who aren't blacksmiths.
Julian

Postby Thels » Wed May 23, 2007 4:42 am

Yeah, atm Engineering seems like the better choice, but with the Argussian Compass and the Violet Badge, you're only 18 stamina behind. It's 9 if you can get your hands on the other stamina trinket. The helmet is indeed nice, but the other helmets you can have access to aren't that much worse.

And I just keep hoping they realize how stupid it is to have to roll Engineering for Tanking Gear, and make some nice Blacksmithing Tanking Gear.
ImageImage
Thels

Postby eia » Wed May 23, 2007 7:44 am

Julian wrote:apparently there are also blacksmithing recipes that produce high-quality BoP tanking plate dropping off of trash in SSC and TK, which is of course really nice for those of us who aren't blacksmiths.

Ah, didn't know about that, that makes it less awful indeed.
So far I had seen no point at all to be a blacksmith and a lot to be an engineer you see. :)
eia

Next

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice