Gavel of Unearthed Secrets = new tank weapon of choice?

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Gavel of Unearthed Secrets = new tank weapon of choice?

Postby Mavrix » Mon May 14, 2007 5:26 pm

New PTR patch buffed it nicely. IMHO, it's an easy upgrade from Continuum. I'll trade 6 stam for 39 spellpower between them when it comes to generating more aggro. (I know a lot of tankadins have been using it anyway.) Looks good to me.
If necessity is the mother of invention, laziness must be the father.

Mavrix

Dalaran

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... n&n=Mavrix
Mavrix

Postby Promdates » Mon May 14, 2007 5:38 pm

Did they change the speed on it? I mean.. this is a weapon that you would only use with SoV, and personally I have a distasted for SoV cause of the total randomness with keeping 5 stacks up. Although, someone did mention that anything slower than 2.6 is ideal for SoV because of the higher chance to proc.
Promdates

Postby Julian » Mon May 14, 2007 6:03 pm

Promdates wrote:Did they change the speed on it? I mean.. this is a weapon that you would only use with SoV, and personally I have a distasted for SoV cause of the total randomness with keeping 5 stacks up. Although, someone did mention that anything slower than 2.6 is ideal for SoV because of the higher chance to proc.

Current Gladiator's Gavel stats here.

Gladiator's Gavel
41.4 DPS 1.60 speed
28 STA
18 INT

18 Resilience
199 Spell Damage (!!)

Seems like the pretty clear choice in a 2.1 world. I know I'll be saving my arena points for it.
Julian

heh

Postby Mavrix » Mon May 14, 2007 8:08 pm

Obviously the gladiator's is by far superior, but . . .
In the meantime Unearthed is pretty groovy.
To me it looks good for SoR tanking (esp. if you're speccing out of reckoning in favor of 1h spec and imp SoR). Slower swing speed is accounted for by higher damage each swing from SoR. Even with reckoning, aside from using fewer procs, it's still reasonable.
Aside from that, Judgements, HS, Consecration (and shield toss) are the more pimp aggro holders than seal hits anyway and benefit from the better spell power significantly, no?
Gladiator's does pretty much take the cake, though . . . just getting it is a good deal more effort than Unearthed.

Mavrix

Dalaran

Mavrix

Postby Promdates » Mon May 14, 2007 10:17 pm

but are you REALLY going to tossing that shield while in combat tanking a boss? i know i won't be. atleast because of the spell pushback and the 1.5 second cast.
Promdates

lol

Postby Mavrix » Tue May 15, 2007 4:59 am

Hell no I won't toss the shield DURING combat . . . that would be hella stupid to stop everything long enough to cast it. Hell, taking the time to cast anything longer than instant during combat is generally a bad idea while you are tanking.

The point (and, as I see it really the only use) of the shield toss is to grab initial aggro or grab back a mob that has strayed from you that is untauntable (if such a catastrophe were to happen). Toward that end, increasing its holy damage is still nice when you can do it (just like any time you can increase any of your holy damage . . . more threat and more damage). I simply include it because many (myself included) when given the option use it as our opener for pulls or bosses for a nice initial threat spike to allow the dps to open up earlier. (One example: on Illhoof, shield toss + exorcism + judgesealofchoice on the way in, let your co-tank/off-tank pull the imp into a corner and tank illhoof and the little imps in the middle and dps can start off basically as soon as your shield has hit him on that initial toss).

A side note:
One utility that tankadins have over other tanks is we have a contribution to the DPS being done = faster boss kills. That shouldn't be overlooked or underestimated, esp. on time limited encounters.

Mavrix

Dalaran

Mavrix

Postby Kvaern » Tue May 15, 2007 5:49 am

No minmum range is a nice buff, apart from what's already being mentioned there are fast mobs with huge aggro ranges that can possibly make it within 8 yards before you're done casting and mobs where you just can't pull at max range due to terrain (ramps/corners etc.) on which no min range also helps out.

There's also the whole "someone else pulled when he shouldn't have" issue.
Kvaern

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice