Remove Advertisements

Jade Skull Breastplate vs. Vindicator's Hauberk.

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Jade Skull Breastplate vs. Vindicator's Hauberk.

Postby Maulininis » Sun May 13, 2007 3:48 am

The jade skull has +11 stamina, +1.5 block value, 25 def rating and almost 3% chance to block.

Vindicator's has 1% dodge and 21 more def rating.

BOth pieces have the same armor.

If uncrushability wasnt an issue, which would you choose?
Maulininis

Postby Gideon » Sun May 13, 2007 4:22 am

If I was already uncrushable then I would normally go for the stamina piece.
Gideon

hrm

Postby Mavrix » Sun May 13, 2007 8:06 am

IMHO, if you are already uncrushable, then the dodge will probably do more for you toward keeping you alive and going. Avoidance ftw.
If necessity is the mother of invention, laziness must be the father.

Mavrix

Dalaran

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... n&n=Mavrix
Mavrix

Re: hrm

Postby Kvaern » Sun May 13, 2007 8:34 am

Mavrix wrote:IMHO, if you are already uncrushable, then the dodge will probably do more for you toward keeping you alive and going. Avoidance ftw.

I have to disagree, stamina will do much more to keep you alive and running.

I've pretty much yet to see a healer run out of mana in TBC but I've seen plenty of tanks die to spike damage and paladins are the most vulnerable in this regard due to our low base life/gearing options.
Kvaern

Postby Dorvan » Sun May 13, 2007 10:58 am

Normally I'd take stamina over avoidance, but 1% dodge and 21 defense rating is too much to ignore...I look at this as an avoidance piece and pick up more stamina elsewhere. It's all about the relative tradeoffs.
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

heh

Postby Mavrix » Sun May 13, 2007 12:26 pm

Agree with Dorvan. Agree to disagree with Kv.
If necessity is the mother of invention, laziness must be the father.

Mavrix

Dalaran

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... n&n=Mavrix
Mavrix

Postby Maulininis » Sun May 13, 2007 5:09 pm

The flipside to this, is the effect it has on the rest of a tankadin's gear. I'f you'd take jadeskull, then you should probably use Dath'remar's ring of defens, because they compliment each other quite well.

Opinion seems pretty varied, so im putting it down to saying, if you stack +blockvalue, you'd wanna take jadeskull.
Maulininis

Postby Kvaern » Sun May 13, 2007 6:28 pm

Dorvan wrote:Normally I'd take stamina over avoidance, but 1% dodge and 21 defense rating is too much to ignore...I look at this as an avoidance piece and pick up more stamina elsewhere. It's all about the relative tradeoffs.

Let me rephrase what I meant, I don't think I put it very well.

If he's uncrushable without jadeskull I'd wager he has sacrificed stamina elsewhere to reach it unless he's really well geared and I meant to make a general observation about life vs. avoidance.

I fully agree it really comes down to tradeoffs but when you make those it should always be with life being king in mind.

Anyhow, everything will change with the patch if you have a few epics~
Kvaern

Postby Dorvan » Sun May 13, 2007 7:24 pm

Kvaern wrote:
Dorvan wrote:Normally I'd take stamina over avoidance, but 1% dodge and 21 defense rating is too much to ignore...I look at this as an avoidance piece and pick up more stamina elsewhere. It's all about the relative tradeoffs.

Let me rephrase what I meant, I don't think I put it very well.

If he's uncrushable without jadeskull I'd wager he has sacrificed stamina elsewhere to reach it unless he's really well geared and I meant to make a general observation about life vs. avoidance.

I fully agree it really comes down to tradeoffs but when you make those it should always be with life being king in mind.

Anyhow, everything will change with the patch if you have a few epics~

Understood, my point was simply that if you're looking to boost your stamina, 11 stamina at a cost of 2% avoidance is a pretty bad deal (consider going from a Subtle living Ruby to a Solid Star of Elune nets you 12 stamina at a cost of less than .5% avoidance), so I wouldn't advise making the switch unless you're sure you've exhausted better trade offs.
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Everlight » Sun May 13, 2007 7:35 pm

I'm all for the Vindicator's. You're trading in 11 stamina for 2.07% avoidance, which is a really good trade.

I know this has been said before, just putting in another voice :)
Everlight

Postby Ohren » Thu May 17, 2007 12:58 pm

Hi, I'm new to this forum but have found it extremely useful and informative. Never knew something like this existed so it is a wonderful suprise.

Quick intro, I'm a 70 human pally on the Madoran server. Current specc is 5/44/12 thought I'll probably go 0/49/12 with the new patch. I've MT'd for every 5 man instance and also do Kara as both the MT and OT (we're up to Curator). I find pally tanking challening, fun, fresh, and my true calling.

With regards to gear, I do have three pieces of the Righteous set. I've been trying to get the fourth piece for the nice bonus to our taunt. However, I do have access to the two chestpieces the OP mentioned. Would any of the veteran tanks have any comments on the viability of the Righteous Set? Is it good to get that many pieces or am I better off going with something else. I don't have access to it since I'm at work but you can check out my stats in the armory. Thanks.
"You can't win the Kentucky Derby with a jackass."
Ohren

Postby Ezmoad » Thu May 17, 2007 1:18 pm

Ohren wrote:Hi, I'm new to this forum but have found it extremely useful and informative. Never knew something like this existed so it is a wonderful suprise.

Quick intro, I'm a 70 human pally on the Madoran server. Current specc is 5/44/12 thought I'll probably go 0/49/12 with the new patch. I've MT'd for every 5 man instance and also do Kara as both the MT and OT (we're up to Curator). I find pally tanking challening, fun, fresh, and my true calling.

With regards to gear, I do have three pieces of the Righteous set. I've been trying to get the fourth piece for the nice bonus to our taunt. However, I do have access to the two chestpieces the OP mentioned. Would any of the veteran tanks have any comments on the viability of the Righteous Set? Is it good to get that many pieces or am I better off going with something else. I don't have access to it since I'm at work but you can check out my stats in the armory. Thanks.

go here

http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/ ... .php?t=432
Ezmoad

Postby Eloff » Thu May 17, 2007 1:20 pm

I find I tend to run out of mana on 5 man trash. I actually 'like' to wear less defensive gear so that I can take MORE damage, and get more heals... lol!

Righteous is just fine for trash and 5 mans. I'd actually switch to Vindicator's for bosses and raid content. It's a clear winner. Just like Everlight said, stack your stam elsewhere.
"With your shield or on it" - Spartan Code of Conduct

Eloff

Postby Ohren » Thu May 17, 2007 2:18 pm

Thanks for the info. Even with three Righteous pieces on (helm, shoulders, chest) I still run out of man in 5 mans. All of this useful info has given me some serious food for thought on my gear choices, especially in Kara and heroics. Thanks.
"You can't win the Kentucky Derby with a jackass."
Ohren

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice