Remove Advertisements

Challenge Modes: Paladin Tank

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Challenge Modes: Paladin Tank

Postby Era » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:16 am

Well, complated it now! Took us just two evenings.
Going to consolidate some of the info and tips I've found in here.

Setup we used:

Tank: Prot Paladin (I chose haste>stam)
Heal: Disc priest
DPS: Retri Paladin
DPS: Surv Hunter (BM for Hero where needed)
DPS: Destro Warlock

Two other relevant threads (Didn't show up in search)
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=33298
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=33270

Get invisibility potions (lesser and normal, whatever you can get your hands on).
Get speed increase potions (Darkwater Potion is very nice).
Strength flask for tanks, strength potions as well. But nothing wrong with keeping some stam flasks and armour pots in your bag just in case.

Places we used invis/speed pots so far:

Gate of Setting Sun:
Speed pot when running along the wall, pulling all the mobs along needed for the kill count.
Didn't find a good place for invis pot.

Shado-Pan Monastery:
Invis pot to get past the first bits of Regenerating Sha after Master Snowdrift and all the way down to the bridge.

Mogu'shan Palace:
Speed pot right when we drop down the hidden stairs after the first boss, running down to the scout.
Invis pot to get past all the trash after the elevator up to the last boss, and into the throne room.

Scarlet Halls:
Invis pot to get past the trash in the cannon cellar. We did kill some of them though, for the kill count.

Scarlet Monastery:
Invis pot to get across the courtyard up towards the monk boss.

Stormstout Brewery:
Speed pot after the first boss to get up to the rabbit boss.
Didn't find a good spot for invis. Skipped the patrol in the leaking beer room.

Temple of the Jade Serpent:
Did the water boss first, then invis pot right as we got up the stairs while we still had the run speed buff. Went over the bridge and killed the two last packs.
Wiped and mispulled and fudged things up, still got gold with over a minute to spare.

Siege of Niuzao Temple:
Used invis to run up the tunnel after the first boss.

Scholomance:
Used invis to skip the student trash (killed the first 5 though, for the kill count).

Gear tips:

Careful with Timeless Isle gear, they don't scale properly (23.02.2014). Some of us ended up beneath hit/exp caps, some of us ended up above hit/exp caps. There are decent replacements to be found for Justice Points, if you're just going for golds and not realm bests.

Kal wrote:An observation from a fellow CM newbie, in case you haven't heard: Completely rethink your concept of BIS. How completely? Consider using a Ghost Iron Dragonling trinket for 1800 secondary stats. I don't know for sure that it's actually good, I'm just considering it. My point is, look outside the box.

Used Haste/Mastery/Dodge cogs in my trinket. Don't use hit and exp gems/cogs because:

theckhd wrote:That would be the best way to maximize haste, yeah. Try to reach hit/exp caps with reforging alone and stuff your gem slots with the stats you want (e.g. haste or stamina).

That said, when we did them I didn't really tweak my gear at all. I just used my usual raiding gear and swapped out for an extra helm with a non-legendary meta in it. Most of the difficulty in CMs comes from knowing which pulls to skip, when to use invis pots, and learning the pacing (i.e. "can I pull these three trash packs together, or will that kill me").
Last edited by Era on Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:27 am, edited 6 times in total.
"Ask stupid questions. Growth is fueled by desire and innocence. Assess the answer,
not the question. Imagine learning throughout your life at the rate of an infant."
Era

Re: Challenge Modes: Paladin Tank

Postby Kal » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:47 pm

An observation from a fellow CM newbie, in case you haven't heard: Completely rethink your concept of BIS. How completely? Consider using a Ghost Iron Dragonling trinket for 1800 secondary stats. I don't know for sure that it's actually good, I'm just considering it. My point is, look outside the box.
"There is no such thing as luck; there is only adequate or inadequate preparation to cope with a statistical universe."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Kal

Postby Era » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:18 pm

That's a good tip, thank you!

Any idea if we should still be going for haste?

EDIT: Just found this thread, no idea why it didn't show up on my searches:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=33298

EDIT more: Friend says to keep in mind that the dragonling proc might mess up your invis potion sneakyness, so be sure you're not running around with a little dragonling giving you up :p

EDIT: yet ANOTHER thread, found through Google:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=33270

Sorry for this messy post, but I have another question: Since gems don't get scaled in CMs, and the hit/exp stats are kept... Would it be better to get your hit/exp caps from reforging alone, and leave the gems for haste?
EDIT SOME MORE: Spoke with the tank who holds some of the best times on my server, he said to leave hit/exp for reforging and gems for other stats. Feel free to confirm/"deconfirm".
"Ask stupid questions. Growth is fueled by desire and innocence. Assess the answer,
not the question. Imagine learning throughout your life at the rate of an infant."
Era

Postby theckhd » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:16 pm

That would be the best way to maximize haste, yeah. Try to reach hit/exp caps with reforging alone and stuff your gem slots with the stats you want (e.g. haste or stamina).

That said, when we did them I didn't really tweak my gear at all. I just used my usual raiding gear and swapped out for an extra helm with a non-legendary meta in it. Most of the difficulty in CMs comes from knowing which pulls to skip, when to use invis pots, and learning the pacing (i.e. "can I pull these three trash packs together, or will that kill me").
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Era » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:29 pm

Timeless gear does not scale well. Throw away your timeless pieces if you've got any on.

EDIT: To clarify, some of us ended up below exp/hit caps, others above it. Something buggy with that.

Anyway, we're breezing through a lot of these. Gotten gold in Gate of Setting Sun, Shado Pan Monaster, Scarlet Halls, Scarlet Monastery and Mogushan Palace so far. All within 2-3 tries. I hear we still have some harder ones left though.

EDIT: Great fun though! Haven't had this much fun in a while!
(not raiding these days)
Era

Postby Era » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:22 pm

Consolidated the info in top post. Sorry for double post.
Era

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice