Remove Advertisements

Prot paladin random roll stat eligibility

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Prot paladin random roll stat eligibility

Postby lifeonmars » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:06 pm

If you look at the random / bonus roll indicator on Wowhead, it shows prot as eligible for any non-crit strength items.

However, if you select a loot specialization in the gear viewer of the dungeon journal for the new content now that 5.4 is actually live, haste items only appear for ret.

Can anybody confirm that a roll as prot actually has given a haste item (other than the tier gloves from the celestials obviously)?
lifeonmars

Re: Prot paladin random roll stat eligibility

Postby Fishnuts » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:32 am

Well I'm assuming dungeon journal is correct and swapped to ret role which won me the shoulders I wanted from the council fight. With the amount of items listed with double avoidance I'm ok with ret rolling to avoid them personally.
Fishnuts

Postby Thels » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:52 am

Same here. I'd rather keep my rolls on Ret and avoid all the dodge/parry gear, but Ret is also my offspec, so it doesn't hurt me as much to get a piece with crit on it.

Tier pieces arrive as tokens, so it doesn't matter what spec you have there. The one exception is the weekly Celestial boss, where you receive the tier piece directly. If you still want the tanking gloves (they're really good) or legs (a placeholder until you got the other four), be sure to choose Protection.

Of course, you also want to choose Protection for onehanders, shields and Stamina trinkets.
ImageImage
Thels

Postby lifeonmars » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:56 am

Opening a ticket apparently is not a possibility --

"... we actually do not have any data regarding this as our developers have set up these drop rates and the precentages of what drops or what kind of items that are able to drop is kept from us Game Masters".

This might have to be a "tweet and hope they see it" question. Or if nobody ever sees a haste item whatsoever off a Protection random roll we can pretty safely assume that's the case.
lifeonmars

Postby Lid » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:22 pm

Generally you should trust the dungeon journal over anything else over your random rolls. It's much more likely that the fansites got something wrong than blizzard getting something wrong (and generally you have a bit more recourse if the latter happens).

Would also imagine that prot paladin having access to plate of any itemization would cause some real quality of life problems. Wouldn't really ever be a point to coining a boss for a specific item because your odds at that item would be abysmally low (since you're rolling on every str item in the table).

Best practice is to just do what you've been doing since ToT - roll as ret, with many exceptions.
Lid

Postby Zothor » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:25 am

I was going to make a separate post about yet-again-another exception to this rule but this post is close enough to on point. So, seriously, WTF is up with them picking an choosing which haste pieces we can roll? I'm not even talking about our tier; I'm talking about the amazing Siegecrafter's Forge Hammer. Which according to the dungeon journal and wowhead we can roll as prot... but NO other haste offset gear? Meanwhile, the BiS expertise/haste ring drops off the same boss.... but can't be rolled as prot. So we're stuck deciding between rolling for a BiS weapon and a BiS ring which have effectively identical itemization for loot spec consideration purposes.

What gives, blizz. This is ridiculous. Oh, and (Again according to the dungeon journal) prot can allegedly roll the Expertise/Crit 1h from Paragons. Christ, I understand why people are saying they don't want ALL the haste gear and the avoidance gear on their roll table, but this picking and choosing isn't the right answer either (p.s. the right answer is removing dodge or parry so avoidance stops being such a dump stat, not giving DKs and Warriors absurd dps for stacking it at the expense of active mitigation and EH!).

ughhhh. /rant.
Zothor

Postby Thels » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:14 pm

I'm guessing we can roll on all the Strength 1handers, because they're mostly consider tanking weapons simply because of being 1handers. Since we can't roll on these as Ret, it's a good thing we can at least roll on them.

I think if items other than weapon/shield/tier would be rolled on prot, there would be some serious confusion going around.
ImageImage
Thels

Postby Ribet » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:15 pm

If enough of us said something in a thread on the official forums, you think they would fix it so we could roll on the haste stuff in protection loot specialization?
Ribet

Postby Sagara » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:41 pm

Probably not hotfix it. We already got the spec selection tool to tidy us over.
It could be worth it with a deeper overhaul of our stats with a new xpack, though - scrap tank plate entirely, and have haste and crit affect tanking in some way.
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
Sagara

Postby Zothor » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:07 am

Sagara wrote:Probably not hotfix it. We already got the spec selection tool to tidy us over.
It could be worth it with a deeper overhaul of our stats with a new xpack, though - scrap tank plate entirely, and have haste and crit affect tanking in some way.

They've certainly implied that something along that line is coming; they've also implied that hit/expertise may be getting simplified or consolidated. I can very well see dodge and parry being merged into the same stat if they want to keep some tank specific gear, but I'm sure this will depend on how they feel Riposte has worked out. Riposte is a massive band-aid (and from my observations in my raid, a particularly overpowered one) and isn't something I would expect to make it into the next xpack unless every tank class is getting something similar.

I frankly expect tanking gear to look utterly foreign next xpack, except to the extent that stamina is still going to be useful.
Zothor

Postby lifeonmars » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:04 am

The random loot roll system (and the "Need" eligibility system in the original pre-MoP systems version of LFR) has backed them into a very weird situation where for the first time in the entire history of the game, the game actually takes an official position on what gear is appropriate for what spec. We're more or less on the vanguard when it comes to experiencing the consequences of their official position being either wrong (at the beginning of MoP) or a mixed wishy-washy message (i.e. right now they've more or less taken the position that they like that we like active mitigation, and we'll even put some haste on your tier so you don't feel entirely crappy about tier, and we'll tweak a mechanic so maybe you'll feel less unhappy about avoidance, but if you want to coin or do flex/LFR, if you want haste you're doing it wrong).

I'd prefer honestly that they pay less attention to socially-engineering our feelings about gear and instead concentrate on making their game make sense!

The moment they applied Sanctity of Battle to prot, it should have been abundantly obvious that haste is just as valid to prot paladins as crit is to guardian druids, period. The very first thing that crossed my mind when I heard about what was happening in the MoP systems was, "is it going to be viable to use haste?", and I'm not exactly some game designer rocket scientist, so seriously, c'mon guys.
lifeonmars

Postby Jackinthegreen » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:09 am

Well, it looks like there shouldn't be any issues with us getting haste items now, at least for SoO and Ordos.

Protection

Protection Paladins are now eligible to receive plate armor with Haste via person loot (Raid Finder and Flexible difficulty) and bonus rolls (all difficulty modes) from Siege of Orgrimmar and Ordos.
Jackinthegreen

Postby Darrak » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:32 pm

Jackinthegreen wrote:Well, it looks like there shouldn't be any issues with us getting haste items now, at least for SoO and Ordos.

Protection

Protection Paladins are now eligible to receive plate armor with Haste via person loot (Raid Finder and Flexible difficulty) and bonus rolls (all difficulty modes) from Siege of Orgrimmar and Ordos.

imo this is not a good news for us, until now u could chose if you want to roll between 4prot items and 4retri items. let's say you wanted 2of each and depending on what you already had u decided for what spec you want to roll.

now u'll have 6prot items and 4retri items, so if you want those prot items(malkorok trinket for ex) you'll have even lower chance of getting them.

i'll feel this on siegecrafter rolling for a weapon, even more useless items on that loottable really makes me angry. we will mostly continue to roll in retri
Darrak

Postby Ribet » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:17 pm

Siegecrafter is the boss that got the best of this hotfix, because all we are adding is our BiS ring to the loot table.
Ribet

Postby Schroom » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:49 am

Ribet wrote:Siegecrafter is the boss that got the best of this hotfix, because all we are adding is our BiS ring to the loot table.

nope we're not...

http://www.wowhead.com/news=222215/patc ... october-21

no comment on that...
Schroom

Next

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice