5.4 Trinkets

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

5.4 Trinkets

Postby Dael » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:15 pm

So we've gotten our first look at trinkets from Siege of Orgrimmar and it seems that there is a lot to choose from. While it seems at a glance that there is more of a divide between 'tank' and 'dps' trinkets, fortunately we are able to benefit quite well from more offensive trinket choices as well as more traditional ones.

'Tank Trinket 1'
This could see some use, adding another fairly powerful cooldown to our arsenal. However, with Divine Protection being on a 30sec cooldown when it's needed, perhaps a little lacklustre? It's unlikely that a boss will be using special or aoe abilities so fast that we need another cooldown on top of our already quite full range of them. The stamina is of course nice if you feel you need it..

'Tank Trinket 2'
At first glance the passive of this trinket seemed strange, 2.65% of all damage done you heal yourself. Let's say you're doing 150k dps (not too unrealistic on current content or perhaps even a bit low), this would mean that you're doing around 4,000 hps on yourself - seems pretty 'meh' considering how much we already heal and absorb. The passive stats and usage are okay but nothing mind blowing.

'Tank Trinket 3'
Now this one is interesting, 39% cooldown reduction of 'six of your major abilities', though not confirmed I would imagine that those cooldowns are (based on the ones for ret), Divine Protection, Devotion Aura, Divine Shield, GoAK, Ardent Defender and Avenging Wrath. An interesting question is whether it stacks with Unbreakable Spirit (for a potential 89% reduction on Divine Prot / DS / LoH) in any way...

Though I'm not a fan of the 'battlemaster' style trinkets, the passive seems like it could be very strong for fights requiring a lot of cooldown usage, and we could always use more cooldowns (though clearly it won't happen, hello 100% uptime on DP).

(just a note here, the strength version of the same trinket only reduces cooldowns while specced as ret, and as such is useless for us)

'Tank Trinket 4'
Increases crit chance? Not sure whether this is bugged or designed particularly for monks/druids. Nonetheless seems fairly worthless (other than the stamina) for paladins.

'Tank Trinket 5'
A very standard stamina trinket. Stamina can always be useful and the dodge usage isn't bad either.

'Str DPS Trinket 1'
An interesting choice for aoe fights and perhaps also a decent single target dps increase. Would need to get some accurate simulations of it to really decide but it seems that the trinket will benefit paladins who stack haste a lot more than ones who don't.

'Str DPS Trinket 3'
13% haste and mastery seemed like a tooltip bug to me as the amounts seemed so high, but either way this seems at a first glance to be a very powerful trinket all round. The crit damage/healing is a bit 'meh' due to our low crit chance but almost seems like an added bonus for a tank. With a nice strength proc to boot.

'Str DPS Trinket 5'
Haste procs are a bit less appealing in my eyes but if you really want a dps trinket this could be a reasonable choice.

While there is a lot more variety in these trinkets than currently, it seems to me as though the passive haste/mastery trinket with the addition of perhaps the cooldown reduction trinket may make a very strong combination. The haste/cleave proc trinket may have some use but as it's only real benefit is dps, it's probably not the best option.

Hopefully we will not have to wait for the end-of-raid boss for the stamina trinket to drop this time as well...
Last edited by Dael on Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dael, tanking since the warriors couldn't be bothered to do it in Hyjal.
Dael

Re: 5.4 Trinkets

Postby Scouter » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:54 pm

I much prefer tank trinket 4 over tank trinket 5. Dodge is completely useless, crit atleast gives us some damage.
Str Dps trink 4 also seems interesting from a DPS stand point.

Tank Trink 3 currently reduces the CD on GoAK, AW, AD, DA, DP, DS for Prot.

Regarding Str DPS trinket 3, I think it increases it by 13% of your current values, not a blank 13%. I.e. if you have 10000 haste rating it becomes 10000x1.13, 11300 haste rating. That seems like a far more reasonable increase.

Str trinket 1 is interesting.
Agi trinket 2 is also interesting presuming it can proc for tanks. All in all, the following trinkets are currently on my interest list.

Tank 3 - For sure
Tank 4 - For stamina
Dps 1 - Haste
Dps 3 - To see how good it really is
Dps 4 - For pure dps stand point
Agi 2 - If it works for str users
Scouter

Postby Thels » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:51 am

Dodge is not completely useless, just unreliable. Admittedly, I would probably prefer the Stamina/Crit trinket over the Stamina/Dodge trinket for Stamina heavy fights, but I would pass on it for my Warrior co-tank.

For survivability, I would go with Tank 1, and either Tank 3 or Tank 4, depending on the usefulness of CDs for the fight.

For tank DPS, Strength 1, Strength 3 and Agility 2 are all decent options.

Remember that while Agility 2 is CALLED Agility, the name will be replaced, so there will be nothing left that specifies it as an agility trinket. They would either have to put that proc on a trinket that actually has Agility on it, or class restrict it to leather/mail. The same applies to the Strength 1 trinket.
ImageImage
Thels

Postby Paoanii » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:44 pm

Shamelessly plugging a comment I made over on MMO-champ about the cooldown reduction trinket that may impact your choice:

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/131 ... st21596820

I'm not sure these trinkets work as a straight 39% reduced cooldown. The wording on them ("Increases cooldown recovery rate") seems to suggest that its not really a true 39% reduction but rather more like how cooldown reduction works in Borderlands (and other games).

Rather than:

CD = oldCD*.61

I think it is suggesting something closer to how haste works, where 1 second is actually 1.39 seconds for the purpose of the cooldown.

Rather than reducing the cooldown by 39%, this would allow you to use the cooldown 39% *more* in a given window of time.

This would turn a 2 minute cooldown into ~86 seconds rather than 73 seconds. Not a huge difference, but one that becomes more pronounced as you get larger cooldowns involved.
Paoanii

Postby Worldie » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:40 am

Right now I would rather focus on the mechanics of the trinkets instead of on the numbers.
As I said, 39% cooldown reduction in all the major cooldown isn't likely to make it to live, in my opinion, since it would literally make the trinket mandatory for everyone, to the point of using the LFR version over another heroic tank trinket.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Gruck » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:51 am

39% cooldown reduction would be more than awesome!!
Gruck

Postby Selcouth » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:30 pm

On a side note. Are there any accurate numbers on 5.3 dps trinkets for prot?
If im saying weird things correct me PLEASE. I`m from Germany and don`t know it better.^^
Selcouth

Postby Brokenone » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:13 am

From PTR testing, I noticed the DPS trinkets don't proc for tanks. You get the effect of the static bonus, but not the proc (so something thats Strength with a big haste proc is basically useless).
Brokenone

Postby Thels » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:21 pm

Brokenone wrote:From PTR testing, I noticed the DPS trinkets don't proc for tanks. You get the effect of the static bonus, but not the proc (so something thats Strength with a big haste proc is basically useless).

I can see why they're doing it, but I don't like it.

Not because I'm missing out on my goodies, but there are getting so many siderules to everything.

A trinket should do X and Y. It shouldn't check if you clicked talent A or B or C, and then do Y or Z or nothing at all. It should just do Y regardless of your spec.
ImageImage
Thels

Postby Zothor » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:35 am

Thels wrote:
Brokenone wrote:From PTR testing, I noticed the DPS trinkets don't proc for tanks. You get the effect of the static bonus, but not the proc (so something thats Strength with a big haste proc is basically useless).

I can see why they're doing it, but I don't like it.

Not because I'm missing out on my goodies, but there are getting so many siderules to everything.

A trinket should do X and Y. It shouldn't check if you clicked talent A or B or C, and then do Y or Z or nothing at all. It should just do Y regardless of your spec.

If this also includes the haste-procs-cleave trinket, that's a pretty massive slap in the face. I'm getting sick and tired of it, to be honest.
Zothor

Postby daishan » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:43 pm

Ok I jumped on the ptr for a bit and did some very quick and dirty testing

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/t6r097wm5p437wgz/

I think they might be slightly buggy and require you to spec switch after equipping each trinket, either that or I was just very unlucky with the 1st trinket I tested.

Strength DPS (3) Amp crit and healing, haste and mast +14% 11.7k str proc
procs in tank spec, also while the strength proc was active my SoI self heals where increased.

Strength DPS (4) 1959 strength, trigger Cruelty for 20 sec giving stacking crit up to 23500 crit
The proc rate on this is ridiculous must be 80% uptime from a sloppy rotation.

Strength DPS (5) 1959 Strength 11.7k haste proc
procs in tank spec

Strength DPS (1) 1959 haste, chance to cleve nearby targets for same dmg
procs in tank spec

Agi DPS (3) 1959 crit, chance to cleve nearby targets for same dmg
procs in tank spec

Int Hit (3) 1959 Mast, chance to cleve nearby targets for same dmg
procs in tank spec

Int Hit (2) 1959 crit, multi strike crit
Procs from melee attacks for sure and probably specials as well.

Tank (2) 1959 Dodge, converts 2.65% of your dmg into healing
Couldn't get this one to heal me even while been at 80% hp

From my testing all of the Strength trinkets except number (2) that says you need to be in a dps spec appear to work just fine while in Prot spec.
Strangely enough the only one I couldn't get to work was the Tank healing trinket :/

Apologies for the crappy layout but i haz a steam sale to checkout :p
Daishan of <Nidor Amo Nex>
"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." -- Terry Pratchett
daishan
Maintankadonor

Postby Brokenone » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:18 pm

Hmmm, they must've changed the implementation since I logged on last because I was excited about the haste proc one...10 minutes on a dummy later and it didn't proc even once.
Brokenone

Postby Darrak » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:54 am

as we are getting closer to patch going live most of the trinkets had their numbers drastically changed or have been redesigned completely.

This tier we have choice of 3 stamina trinkets with actually usable effects(unlike in ToT)

Vial of Living Corruption
+3508 Stamina
Equip: Increases the cooldown recovery rate of six of your major abilities by 22%. Effective for tank roles only.

Rook's Unlucky Talisman
+3508 Stamina
Use: Reduces damage taken from creature area of effect attacks by 38% for 15 sec. (1 Min, 30 Sec Cooldown)

Curse of Hubris
+3508 Stamina
Use: Increases your critical strike by 11690 for 15 sec. (1 Min, 30 Sec Cooldown)

4 other trinkets

Thok's Tail Tip
Equip: Amplifies your Critical Strike damage and healing, Haste, Mastery, and Spirit by 8%.
Equip: Your attacks have a chance to grant you 14037 Strength for 20 sec. (15% chance, 115 sec cooldown)

Juggernaut's Focusing Crystal
+2338 Dodge (2.64% @ L90)
Equip: Converts (317 / 100)% of all damage you deal into healing on yourself.

Skeer's Bloodsoaked Talisman
+2339 Strength
Equip: Your melee attacks have a chance to trigger Cruelty for 10 sec. While Cruelty is active, you gain 1402 Critical Strike every 0.5 sec, stacking up to 20 times. (Approximately 0.92 procs per minute)

Fusion-Fire Core
Equip: Your attacks have a (369 / 100)% chance to Cleave, dealing the same damage to up to 5 other nearby targets.
Equip: Your attacks have a chance to grant you 14037 Strength for 15 sec. (15% chance, 85 sec cooldown)

and one and only haste trinket with intellect proc :'(

Black Blood of Y'Shaarj
+2339 Haste (5.50% @ L90)
Equip: Your attacks have a chance to trigger Wrath of the Darkspear for 10 sec. While Wrath of the Darkspear is active, every 1 sec you gain 1869 Intellect, stacking up to 10 times. (Approximately 0.92 procs per minute)

IMHO atm the best trinket by far is the Vial of Living Corruption. From the beginning i'd like to pair that with my spark of zandalar until i can stay at 50%haste with Thok's Tail Tip, which is my personal favorite for 2nd best trinket
Darrak

Postby Thels » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:45 am

I'm a little confused about Thok's Tail Tip. Does it increase our Haste Rating by 8%? If so, that means we need 19676 Haste Rating to get to the 21250 Haste Rating required for 50% haste, effectively giving 1574 Haste Rating, on top of everything else that it does. Not too shabby.

It's a shame that those lovely melee Haste trinkets disappeared, but quite understandable. Would've been a little OP.

Vial of Living Corruption indeed sounds like the best option, perhaps combined with Rook's Unlucky Talisman. Do we know which spells are affected? I found a list on WoWhead, but it's a little outdated, I think:

Guardian of Ancient Kings
Avenging Wrath
Ardent Defender
Devotion Aura
Ardent Defender
Divine Protection
Divine Shield
ImageImage
Thels

Postby Treck » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:36 pm

I think we will have issue dropping two hit/haste trinkets into 2x stamina trinkets and still hitting haste caps.
I honestly havnt played around with any 572 gearsets yet to see how high we go, but since we will likely keep current 4piece for a while (seems like you really only want to go t16 4p for EF, and little point going 2x 2piece) aka you will swap 4p for 4p, and that will take a while.
As a BiS setup, I have to say that I am not very excited about the trinkets anymore.
Thok's Tail was a very interesting one, provided as much haste as a proper haste trinket while at the same time adding atleast some mastery and the crit effect.
Now it still does give a bit but its never gonna go to the point of beeing more haste than a proper haste trinket, and the extra mastery you get from it will be pretty weak as well that you are likely better off with a haste trinket reforging into mastery.

I really like the Vial of Corruption, even if it doesnt sound that great, the design of it is the cool thing, but it does work pretty great with our current 4p, altho for DP, the differance between LFR version and heroic warforged 2/2 version the differance on divine prot is about 1.5sec. And its about 15sec for the 3min CDs.
And the only one it really matters for anyway is Aura Mastery tbh.
Treck

Next

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice