Fresh 90 Gearing Question

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Fresh 90 Gearing Question

Postby obiwayne » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:09 pm

Just hit 90 on my Paladin, and I have a quick question. I am ready to do the new 5.3 quest that gives you 502 iLevel boots. Am I right in guessing the actual tank boots are a better choice than the DPS boots (as opposed to the Sha of Anger boots that was the other way around), since it has slightly more Mastery (562 vs. 502) and Parry, while not desired, has got to be better than the Crit on the DPS boots?

I also have another brief question, since I'm still wrapping my head around the Haste/Mastery gearing for tanks. This means I could essentially tank heroics in DPS gear with some combination of Hit/Exp/Mastery/Haste, plus a 1H and Shield, and not be squishy? I got some of the crafted 450 PVP gear with Hit/Mastery on it, and bought the 478 PVP helm with Expertise/Mastery but a bit of my gear is still pure DPS gear with like Hit/Crit on it, and I'm looking to replace those as soon as possible.
obiwayne

Re: Fresh 90 Gearing Question

Postby econ21 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:19 am

Yes on both points, I think.

If you are going the haste/mastery route (I'd recommend haste), then typically dps gear - like the pvp stuff - is better than tank gear of the same level. So often you'd want to see which LFR bosses drop 1h's and shields, but loot spec ret for the rest.

You will take a little more damage on average, but by using your active mitigation, you will be able to smooth out some of the bursts.

I'm pretty indifferent between crit and avoidance, nowadays. Tank dps matters, so I don't see crit as completely wasted. I don't despise avoidance as much as some either - avoiding a hit may save my life - but it's not what we prioritise. Reforging means that you can often get rid of a lot of the crit, but with double avoidance pieces, you are a bit stuck.
econ21

Re: Fresh 90 Gearing Question

Postby Koatanga » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:14 pm

The DPS gear often comes in the form of hit/expertise which is also pretty important for a gearing tank, because you likely won't be hitting your caps at that gear level without hit/exp pieces.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice