Prot tier 15 ... Am I missing something ?

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Re: Prot tier 15 ... Am I missing something ?

Postby Hrobertgar » Sun May 26, 2013 9:01 pm

Personally I think that situationally the T15-2pc bonus in conjunction with the Holy Avenger talent can allow one to be virtually immune to physical damage for 20 secs every 2 mins, which isn't too bad on physical fights (Horridon Tank), but close to useless on More Magic fights (Megaera-Red Tank).

Holy Avenger guarantees SotR uptime for 18-20 secs (I have used it excluseivley this xpac for that reason), and can easily accommodate a couple WoGs for the T15-2pc which would bring a geared tank close to being Block capped. 25% (nerfed) Block + 50+% SotR is an insane physical wall for 20secs every 2min, or more if you manage HP well. I personally suspect that is WHY they nerfed Pally block in 5.3
Never Pug a random Troll Heroic, always wait for the guild group.

Hrobearina - 85 Healer - space goat
Hrobertgar - 85 Tank - human
Hrobernia - 85 Arcane - human
Hrobanka - 85 BM - elf
Hrobertgar

Postby Fetzie » Mon May 27, 2013 2:24 am

You are already practically immune to damage with HA up though.
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby lifeonmars » Tue May 28, 2013 8:31 am

I think the prot tier bonuses are not really a concern whatsoever this tier, because the itemization of non-set pieces is simply too good. The 2-piece seems to have some situational strength (that's not really entirely necessary though), but I'm very concerned that the 4-piece is not consistent with the control/haste playstyle, specifically on fights with telegraphed physical specials to mitigate.

If there weren't specials to bank holy power for, the 4-piece would seem very strong insofar as throughput dmg reduction on average, but the playstyle I use for a lot of bosses this tier is to bank 5 HoPo and spend only within 3 sec of the next HoPo generator coming up, so as to guarantee coverage of any physical boss specials, and using extra HoPo generation in-between to smooth out regular melee dmg intake. The prot 4-piece seems to incentivize spending below 5 so as to minimize wasting HoPo gains, which is something that I would routinely employ suboptimally, and I personally would much rather go for better haste itemization to support that playstyle.

Going 2-piece is very viable simply because the head and shoulders are reasonably well-itemized (and there really aren't better alternatives), but as far as the other slots, it's fairly obvious that the ret tier chestpiece is the best choice, for pants the ones that drop of Dorumu, and gloves the ones that drop of Primordius.

I personally ran with 2-piece on gloves and pants early on because of extremely good luck with coin rolls, but quickly replaced those slots with more optimal secondaries.
lifeonmars

Postby theckhd » Tue May 28, 2013 4:45 pm

Hrobertgar wrote:Holy Avenger guarantees SotR uptime for 18-20 secs (I have used it excluseivley this xpac for that reason), and can easily accommodate a couple WoGs for the T15-2pc which would bring a geared tank close to being Block capped. 25% (nerfed) Block + 50+% SotR is an insane physical wall for 20secs every 2min, or more if you manage HP well. I personally suspect that is WHY they nerfed Pally block in 5.3

1) The T15 2-piece bonus does not get you anywhere near block-capped.
2) They did not nerf paladin block at all in 5.3, they nerfed SotR's base mitigation.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 6.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Previous

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice