Remove Advertisements

Heroic Scimitar vs Normal Kilrak

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Heroic Scimitar vs Normal Kilrak

Postby daishan » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:34 am

My Guild should be killing Amber hc this week and I'm just trying to work out if it's worth using an elder charm for Scimitar of Seven Stars as I already have Kilrak, Jaws of Terror

Assuming the new prismatic socket in Kilrak and 240 stam gems in both weps, taking the Scimitar gives:-

+426 Wep dps
-512 Strength
+101 Stam
+5 Hit
+64 Mast

Which do you guys think gives better survivability?
I assume Kilrak will give higher dps at low veng levels, anyone know how much veng we'd need before the higher weapon dmg from the Scimitar would overtake Kilrak?
Looking at Thecks Weapon Comparison normal mode Kilrak is higher dps, but I'm not sure if that sim was run at 50k or 100k veng.
Daishan of <Nidor Amo Nex>
"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." -- Terry Pratchett
daishan
Maintankadonor

Re: Heroic Scimitar vs Normal Kilrak

Postby theckhd » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:46 am

I'm pretty sure it was 100k Vengeance, but for the question you're asking it doesn't actually matter. Weapon DPS is additive with AP/Vengeance DPS. So if one weapon gives higher DPS at 50k Vengeance, it'll also be higher at 0k or 100k Vengeance.

There's a slight caveat with that, in that a weapon with haste or crit will actually vary with Vengeance because haste/crit are multiplicative with AP DPS. But the small amounts you get from a weapon aren't likely to skew that too much either, and in this case neither weapon has those stats.

The difference in DPS is fairly small either way (~150 DPS, essentially at RNG levels), so I'd probably use the Scimitar if I were choosing between the two (less DPS but 100 more stam). However, it's probably not worth the coin unless you've gotten all the gear you want from other bosses.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Fetzie » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:06 am

The socket on the Scimitar gets negated by the addition of the prismatic socket to Kil'rak after completing the 5.1 Black Prince questline though.
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby daishan » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:22 am

Ye I know about the prismatic socket I have it and accounted for it when comparing them.
Thx for the clarification Theck, I hadn't thought it through that well.
Daishan of <Nidor Amo Nex>
"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." -- Terry Pratchett
daishan
Maintankadonor

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice