Stamina and absorbs & Disc priests

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Stamina and absorbs & Disc priests

Postby Schroom » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:29 am

Hi everyone,

that stamina is one of our, if not the strongest stat we have, as Theck mentioned in his blog: http://sacredduty.net/2012/11/06/stamin ... -it-blend/

I was asking myself in the likely caste that you got at least one disc priest in your raid, and thus more absorbs running on you, does this influence the effective choice for stammina over other secondary stats?

an absorb is in fact nothing else than free stamina, isn't it? but as you don't notice it on your health-bar (a full absorb is as if you would have taken no damage at all)

Does this make stamina any less interesting? or is it the complete contrary, as absorbs are simply another form of mitigation, thus letting you get less damage (for partial absorbs) and stamina gets even more interesting with lots of absorbs going on.
Schroom

Re: Stamina and absorbs & Disc priests

Postby Nooska » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:14 am

It has no bearing on stamina, as bubbles from disc priests are preemptive healing, and they, conversely, are poorer at healing when you have damage taken. Healers are (roughly) balanced around doing the same job, so it doesn't matter what healer you have for your stat priorities (well it may matter specificlaly, but not dependant on class or spec generally)
Main Characters:
Nooska, Blood Elf BM/SV Hunter on Argent Dawn (EU)
Morosin, Bloody freezing orc death knight on Argent Dawn (EU)
Niisca, Shady forsaken "priest" on Argent Dawn (EU)

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

Postby Lastwolf » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:54 am

I see what your thinking, like if you have 500khp and a 100khp shield you effectively have 600k hp, so sta is less valuable.

The way theck explains it, at least if I understood it correctly, there is no point where sta isn't valuable.

Generally at some point you don't really need more realistically, like in 10man once you get about 500k it's unlikely you'll be two shot or anything, but in raw survivability terms 700k is better.
Lastwolf

Postby Schroom » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:10 am

Lastwolf got my thought here. of course stamina is always valuable. My thought exactly was. If you have "Paladin A" who has no disc priest and 600k HP
Paladin A got the same gear as "Paladin B" who has a disc priest whos absorb schield is roughly 100k. now "Paladin B" can use the stamina he needs for those 100k more HP and invest them into secondary stats. have roughly the same amount of Survivability but more Defense. If you knwo what I mean.

In the other way. A completely absorbed hit, is as if a Tank would have dodged an attack. Which would render defensive values less good if lots of completely absorbed hits accure. Thus favoring stamina onca again aaaaahhh my brain, it is gonna blow (insert Scene from Scanners)
Schroom

Postby Nooska » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:59 pm

And my point is that you can't think about it that way, because the disc priest has those bubles counted into his or her healing - so the lack of that 100k health (as an example)is very real in the healing situation. Bubbles don't give tanks effective healt, its just precast healing.
Main Characters:

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

Postby Levantine » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:33 pm

Especially when you consider disc priest are currently going balls deep into mastery to increase their shielding throughput (dear god spirit shell is broken) making their actual healing even weaker comparatively.
Levantine

Postby Lastwolf » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:33 am

Nooska wrote:And my point is that you can't think about it that way, because the disc priest has those bubles counted into his or her healing - so the lack of that 100k health (as an example)is very real in the healing situation. Bubbles don't give tanks effective healt, its just precast healing.

I disagree, if it was a true reactive heal, that healed you after you took damage (like a shaman Earth shield) then sure, it wouldn't be effective health.

It's not really effective health but it's not really healing either, I think it's closer to EH though. You never take the damage, if you get hit for 50k with a 20k shield on, you only take 30k actual damage. It becomes a little more confusing and counter productive when you add it together with how the damage smoothing model is supposed to work, smaller more predictable damage. But generally it shouldn't alter how we gear and enchant.
Lastwolf

Postby Nooska » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:34 pm

You are right, but in the context, its effective healing, for the simple reason that Disc priests are balanced around healing preemptively, rather than reactively, and thus are weaker in the reactive department.

The healing recieved is "the same" disc is just balanced around an over/under that has a mean value thats positive in relation to your total health, while other healers are balanced around a mean value thats negative in relation to your total health.

If disc was as strong as other healers for reactive healing, then sure, the bubbles were EH.
Comparative example, Sacred Shield is, for all effects and purposes, EH (as long as its the tank him/herself that cast it - if its the healer then its not as much EH, because the healer didn't take another talent that would have provided other healing).
Main Characters:

Nooska

Postby Alcarius » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:47 pm

Disc bubbles aren't EH in any sense. They are Proactive Healing or heals before they're needed; rather than reactive healing or heals when needed.
Alcarius

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice