Remove Advertisements

Weapon enchant in 5.0.4

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Re: Weapon enchant in 5.0.4

Postby xstratax » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:31 am

Colossus is actually 8k bubble, not 7.5k, the tooltips dont match the proc (in game it will say 8000, check it).

I prefer Colossus myself, I know when it procs (which feels quite frequently) it is guaranteed mitigation against all types of damage, and helps prolong my SS absorbs a tiny amount. River's Song just is too much RNG for my taste. Windsong could be good, but I still prefer mitigation to Haste/Mastery/Crit (yuck). I dont even consider Dancing Steel, really expensive for limited survival gains (Im all about survival atm)
xstratax
Maintankadonor

Postby theckhd » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:59 am

Actually, Dancing Steel is generally superior to River's Song for us. I'm not sure why any paladin would use RS.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Lightvein » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:58 pm

theckhd wrote:Actually, Dancing Steel is generally superior to River's Song for us. I'm not sure why any paladin would use RS.

What enchant would you recommend of all the ones mentioned?
Lightvein

Postby torrasque » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:35 pm

Lightvein wrote:
theckhd wrote:Actually, Dancing Steel is generally superior to River's Song for us. I'm not sure why any paladin would use RS.

What enchant would you recommend of all the ones mentioned?

was wondering this myself. he uses colossus
torrasque

Postby daishan » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:22 pm

I keep meaning to try and do some rough maths on the enchants but I can't think of the way to go about it.
As far as I know the colossus absorb doesn't scale with gear or dmg intake, where as the mast/haste from windsong will mitigate more dmg on a hard hitting boss than on a easy 5 man boss, same for the exp weapon chain.
The avoidance from Dancing Steel should also avoid more dmg the harder hitting the boss is (avoiding the same amount of attacks just that they would of hit for more), but due to vengeance will offer a smaller % increase in our AP as we go into harder content.
Sry rambling a little there, hope people understand what I'm trying to get at.
Daishan of <Nidor Amo Nex>
"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." -- Terry Pratchett
daishan
Maintankadonor

Postby Extermi » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:26 am

Has this been mentioned already ?

In 5.1, we’re migrating four additional procs over to the Real PPM system. Dancing Steel and Jade Spirit are 2 Real PPM, River's Song is 4 Real PPM, and Colossus is 6 Real PPM.

So this should allow to do some more solid calculations in terms of average value of the enchants. Colossus has a relatively small but reliable (compared to dodge chances) absorbtion that is avaliable roughly every 10 seconds, so something like 800DPS being subtracted. Rivers Songs dodge is available 2x more often then the others, and actually with a 7 second duration and 4PPM plus a bit of haste this can have like 50% uptime of 1650 dodge, so roughly 800 dodge (very roughly 1%) in average.

Dancing spirit seems to have only half the uptime (is it also a 7 second buff) of a similar amount of parry, plus some limited offense and sacred shield / WoG boost.

For the time being I will definitely stay with Colossus, but I can imagine that Rivers Song can have an advantage especially when the boss damage grows larger while the Colossus bubble stays constant.
Extermi

Postby Schroom » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:50 am

daishan wrote:I keep meaning to try and do some rough maths on the enchants but I can't think of the way to go about it.
As far as I know the colossus absorb doesn't scale with gear or dmg intake, where as the mast/haste from windsong will mitigate more dmg on a hard hitting boss than on a easy 5 man boss, same for the exp weapon chain.
The avoidance from Dancing Steel should also avoid more dmg the harder hitting the boss is (avoiding the same amount of attacks just that they would of hit for more), but due to vengeance will offer a smaller % increase in our AP as we go into harder content.
Sry rambling a little there, hope people understand what I'm trying to get at.

I understand exactly where you are going. this are exactly my arguments why I prefer Windsong...
Schroom

Postby daishan » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:01 am

Ok I'll have a random stab at some maths (this will be wrong probably very wrong :D )
600 mast = 1% dmg reduction from SotR
Approximately 50% uptime on SotR so 600 rating = 0.5% less physical dmg taken
Windsong averages out to about 600 mast/haste/crit taking the crit out leaves us with 0.3333% dmg reduction from windsong.
Colossus averages out to 800 dps absorbs.
800/ .00333333= 240000 dps
If i'm anything close to right it looks like we need to take 240kdps before windsong mitigates more dmg than colossus O.o
As I said most likely shit maths would love to know where i've gone wrong.
"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." -- Terry Pratchett
daishan
Maintankadonor

Postby Lastwolf » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:51 am

I'm not sure that's right. 240,000dps ? that's seems a very small (if you mean damage) or extremely high number depending on what you're applying it to, currently my fights are like 40k dps damage taken.

Colossus will be 800 HPS (it's an absorb not damage), over the course of a 5 minute fight it will absorb around 240,000 in damage.

The Windsong is going to harder to calculate, at least, it is for me.

I had it (song) on last night so my numbers will be a little screwy but using real numbers might be easier to figure this out although I could be totally wrong, I think it's closer to reals.

Stone Guard last night lasted 5:51, if I had used Colossus(5.1) it would have absorbed (800x351) 280,800 damage.

Windsong procs are supposedly independent, (mastery) proc'ed 6 times, for an uptime of 17.2%, additionally I only managed to keep SotR up 34% of the time during the fight (bad me :() so only half of all SotR's had an extra 1500rating or 2.5%, so that is 0.425% extra physical dmg reduction during the whole fight.

I took 9.4million in Rend damage and 4.8million in regular melee dmg (or 14,232,407 in total) so 0.425% of that is 60,488 (rounded up).

Lets take a longer more static fight, my longest of the night was Will of the Emperor.

It clocked in at 8minutes and 41 seconds, so Colossus would have absorbed (521x800) 416,800 in HPS.

Windsong, proc'd mastery only 5 times, an uptime of 11%, luckily my SotR was steady at 33%, now however only a 3rd of my SotR's are now granted that extra 2.5%, or 0.275% physical damage reduction. Will is all physical, I took 19,145,698. So that leaves us with windsong helping with 52,651 dmg. So I absorbed less damage with a longer time simply because I didn't get lucky with the procs.

Even taking the highest proc rate, which was haste, still takes us to a similar % as stone guard and 81,369dmg.

This is only in 5.1, from looking at peoples logs currently Colossus seems to absorb considerably less than is indicated by the 800HPS it will after the patch, currently it seems to only be around 25% of the totals it will be then. Also my numbers are reducing an already reduced number as I did have windsong on, however if my working out is anywhere near correct, it shouldn't be that big a shift.
Last edited by Lastwolf on Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lastwolf

Postby daishan » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:13 am

Ye i'm fairly sure i'm doing something wrong.
What i'm trying to say in my last post is that we'd need to be taking on average 240k dmg ever second for windsong to mitigate more dmg then colossus bubbles absorb.
If that's anything close to correct from a purely dmg prevention stand point windsong will be fairly weak until we get to bosses doing crazy high tank dmg.
daishan
Maintankadonor

Postby Lastwolf » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:37 am

Well, you could be right there, certainly the higher damage the boss does the more mastery will win over a static absorb but that's such a considerable leap from current damage, that is 8times the current dps of most normal mode bosses, not sure well see that kind of damage this expansion :P
Lastwolf

Postby jere » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:52 am

There has always been a negative stigma attached to static values versus scaled values. Sometimes we forget that just because it is static doesn't mean it has to be worse in a practical sense. Also, won't colossus start scaling with gear once on the RPPM system (well assuming you gear for haste at all)?
jere

Postby Lastwolf » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:04 am

it'll scale a bit but no idea how haste affects the RPPM system apart from that its good somehow.
Lastwolf

Postby Extermi » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:36 am

If I recall correctly, haste directly benefits the RPPM system in a linear way, so 10% haste => 10% more absorb

By the way, ist seems Dancing Spirit is 12s and not 7s, so it nearly has the same average uptime than Rivers Song (24s vs 28s per minute). Still, given the insane price of these enchants, Im still not that impressed.
Extermi

Postby Nooska » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:38 am

Haste linearly affects the RPPM system according to the blue post explaining it. 10% haste means you get 1.1 PPM from a 1 RPPM enchant.
Main Characters:
Nooska, Blood Elf BM/SV Hunter on Argent Dawn (EU)
Morosin, Bloody freezing orc death knight on Argent Dawn (EU)
Niisca, Shady forsaken "priest" on Argent Dawn (EU)

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

PreviousNext

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice