Mending vs Landslide for a CTC tank?

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Mending vs Landslide for a CTC tank?

Postby benebarba » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:05 am

So once I got to CTC (but still below exp and hit cap), I dumped my windwalker enchant for mending. And I'm now just wondering about it vs landslide, which seems to be favored by some for at least some encounters.

Has anyone run any numbers or have any experience on the survivability advantage/disadvantge of mending vs landslide?
benebarba

Re: Mending vs Landslide for a CTC tank?

Postby Fenrìr » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:10 am

I honestly don't think the return healing from Mending is worth the tradeoff; which I think is less than 40HPS . You'd be better off sticking with Windwalk.

I think Theck may be dropping some numbers here shortly though to put me in my place.
Fenrìr
Maintankadonor

Postby theckhd » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:39 am

I don't have numbers for mending handy; I don't remember if we modeled that or not. The HPS isn't that significant though. Windwalk is usually around 0.75% time-averaged dodge. You can find the DPS value of Landslide in the MATLAB thread. It's really up to you - decisions between DPS and survivability are always a bit subjective. I use Landslide for some bosses and Windwalk for others.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 6.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby benebarba » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:11 am

Thanks guys
benebarba

Postby theckhd » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:26 am

Rule of thumb I like to use: If you aren't dying, and your healers aren't bitching, you aren't making too many mistakes. At least not enough to matter. If you start dying, then shift to full-on survivability and work your way back to a comfortable zone.

On trivial content, you can work the opposite way. For example, on H. Ultraxion last week, I asked my healers, "So, how much DPS gear do you guys think I can get away with. Silly amounts, or stupid silly amounts?" The healing lead said, "Uh, we don't actually heal you very much. So, I dunno?"

"Great, DPS trinkets it is. Let me know if 10% below block cap is too much."

I was disappointed though, I only managed 27k DPS. I'll have to do better this week. Maybe 15%.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 6.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Worldie » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:30 am

You should try a CTC with DPS gear, could be funny.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby benebarba » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:55 am

theckhd wrote:Rule of thumb I like to use: If you aren't dying, and your healers aren't bitching, you aren't making too many mistakes. At least not enough to matter. If you start dying, then shift to full-on survivability and work your way back to a comfortable zone.

Yeah, I basically follow a similar rule. I just went survival after the threat buff finally made me admit that I had no reason not to go full-on survival. But now I'm better geared relative to the content I see than I think I've ever been in the past, so now I get to be a bit more flexible.
benebarba

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice