Remove Advertisements

Tier 13 Protection 4-Piece Bonus

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Re: Tier 13 Protection 4-Piece Bonus

Postby theckhd » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:02 pm

Treck wrote:But 397 tier shoulders will net you more stamina than 410 morchok shoulders cuz of that extra socket.

That's true, but there's also no heroic alternative for several of the other slots. I worked out the math back when Meloree and I were having this argument, and the most efficient configuration came from using T13H tier Head/Chest/Gloves/Shoulder and heroic Morchok shoulders.

<edit> Dug through my e-mail to find the discussion:
Meloree wrote:If you're wearing 4pc, shoulders are part of it (2 sockets) over gloves.

Theck wrote:Disagree. At 397 ilvl, perhaps. But there's no 410-ilvl glove option, and the valor at 397 is parry/exp.

397+ glove option comparison
397+ shoulder option comparison

410 Tier gloves are under-itemized on STR; they have 71 less STR than the 397-ilvl valor option. Net change by using the tier gloves:
-71 STR, +69 STA, +93 Armor, +121 avoidance rating, -171 exp and +176 hit. I've assumed you stuff a Solid in both, so the tier is missing a socket bonus as well.

Heroic Brackenshell is over-itemized on STR slightly, but has dual avoidance stats. Net change from 410 tier:
+39 STR, -75 STA, +214 avoidance rating, -226 expertise. Note that this is with epic solids in all sock

Combine those and you have the following net gain by using off-set shoulders and tier gloves:
-32 STR, -6 STA, +93 Armor, +335 avoidance rating, +176 hit, -397 exp.

In other words, by choosing to use heroic tier shoulders and valor gloves to gain the extra gem socket, you're only gaining 6 stamina at the cost of 335 avoidance rating. I suppose you could use both heroic tier pieces, but then you're still only gaining 75 stamina at a cost of 214 avoidance rating, well below the gem exchange rate. And I don't think there are more attractive off-set pieces in the helm/leg/chest slots.

Meloree wrote:Damn wowhead for continuing to include the stuff that's in game files and doesn't actually exist. Damn them.

You lose 6 stamina by using the Morchok shoulders, but you gain more mastery (because both the Morchok shoulders and Tier gloves have higher single-stat values than the alternatives, thus more mastery via reforging), which means you can gem for more stamina to compensate.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Treck » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:04 pm

Why would you ever use the 397 gloves over the tier gloves?
So i dont see why they are even relevant to the discussion.
Tier gloves are BiS no other option, Legs are BiS aswell, Head is BiS, and Chest is BiS, cant really argue on those 4 except legs might be discussable, but its about 100 sta differance.
So the real topic is, do you use 4set with shoulders offset, or simply use 5x t13.
And like you pointed out, its 75sta and some exp vs 40str and 200 avoidance rating, Im not sure what that ends up beeing post reforges.
So id say if you are close but not really yet at block cap and need a little bit more, the Morchok shoulders are your best option, id still take the stamina over the avoidance and go with t13 shoulders for progress, but its pretty close.
Treck

Postby theckhd » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:40 pm

Treck wrote:Why would you ever use the 397 gloves over the tier gloves?
So i dont see why they are even relevant to the discussion.

If you were planning out your 4 pieces (for example, guilds who use DKP and have to bid/choose wisely), you'd want to know which 4 to get first based on your BiS setup. That affects which off-set pieces you pick up with valor, for example. That's how the discussion between Mel and I started, though only because he was assuming the 410 gloves in the game files were still an option.

Treck wrote:So the real topic is, do you use 4set with shoulders offset, or simply use 5x t13.

Fair enough, I thought you were suggesting using 4xT13 with shoulders and picking up a different off-set piece (gloves or legs). If the other four slots are already assumed, then it's a different question entirely, and one that potentially might warrant using 5xT13.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby theckhd » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:46 am

Treck wrote:So the real topic is, do you use 4set with shoulders offset, or simply use 5x t13.
And like you pointed out, its 75sta and some exp vs 40str and 200 avoidance rating, Im not sure what that ends up beeing post reforges.
So id say if you are close but not really yet at block cap and need a little bit more, the Morchok shoulders are your best option, id still take the stamina over the avoidance and go with t13 shoulders for progress, but its pretty close.

Just checking, and in my current gear set, I can get more net stamina by upgrading to heroic Brackenshell than with heroic T13.

http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/gear/usa/blackrock/theck

Note that the stats given below are overall stats for the gear set after optimization, so they include all gem/gear/enchant/buff contributions. I've also forced it to use mastery food.

Current gear: +216 STA (after buffs) at the cost of 170 avoidance rating
Force upgrade to H. Backbreaker Spaulders: Still +216 STA, but now at the cost of 50 avoidance rating (and 120 hit from the tier shoulders)
Force upgrade to H. T13 shoulders: Still +216 STA, +158 avoidance rating, -75 mastery rating.
Force upgrade to H. Brackenshell: +264 STA, +191 avoidance rating, -109 mastery rating.

The primary reason Brackenshell gives a higher benefit is because the excess dodge/parry still gives some CTC, while the expertise on the Tier shoulders does not. This means I can shift more purple/green gems over to blues (forgoing bad socket bonuses) while still maintaining cap.

This is one of the reasons it's dangerous to consider a single piece of gear per se (by itself). The extra socket on the tier shoulders seems like it should give you a clear stamina benefit. But that's only going to be true for certain gear sets. In fact, I'm certain we can find a gear set where the tier shoulders do "win" in the Stamina department, but that set requires more items with large mastery bonuses than I have.
theckhd

Postby Treck » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:17 pm

For my gear, its a choice between 1300 hp vs 1% CTC, beeing so close to the cap allready, id actually be wasting mastery if i reforged it :P
Treck

Postby palapower » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:34 am

Hi !
I got the Leg Token last night and I am not on Heroic gear yet ! So, would you advice me to change my Crafted Legs ?
Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/a ... r/advanced
I seems not advantage right now, the off-set legs give me soooo much mastery ! Seems better than the set.
Thanks
palapower

Postby Era » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:42 am

You have the 4-set bonus already, so I don't see any reason for you to swap to the tier legs if they're a stat loss. Also, you should probably post this question in the gear check/advice thread! ;) Keep the legs around until you get the Heroic Morchok shoulders.

Link: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7896
"Ask stupid questions. Growth is fuelled by desire and innocence. Assess the answer,
not the question. Imagine learning throughout your life at the rate of an infant."
Era

Postby palapower » Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:40 pm

Thanks Era ! I will ask there ! I got a Heroic Shoulder from FL/Alyz, wich compensate for the Mastery until i got Morchok one. This way i could be prepared already :)
palapower

Previous

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice