Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Re: 4.3 - Spending Valor Points

Postby fuzzygeek » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:40 pm

I put together an ugly chart for my own ease of comparison:

Relic: no drop options.
Cloak: no drop options.
Neck: no drop options.

So those three are obvious.

The ring is probably also pretty obvious. The DPS ring is mastery/hit so while perhaps not *ideal*, I'm not reflexively turning my nose up at hit anymore, so the DPS ring is fairly attractive.

I personally like the wrist drops more (and have them already :}).

Most people will probably prefer the VP belt over the drop, but I'm already struggling with too much mastery. Perhaps the VP belt is more useful in a herpaderp dual stam trinket build.

I prefer the dropped boots, but given the VP boots are BoE there's little reason not to obtain a pair in the meantime.

I'm likely to:
wk1: Relic
wk2: Cloak
wk3: Stuck at 1050 VP
wk4: Neck
wk5: Ring?
wk6: Stuck at 1550 VP
wk7: Waist?

wk5+ subject to change based on drops. I'd certainly replace the badge ring with the two heroic dropped rings, so I dunno. Given I have yet to plan what to cook for dinner, plotting out VP past the 4 week mark might be presumptuous of me.

PS fuck that trinket.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Nikachelle » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:46 pm

I'm pretty irritated that they'd found a way to solve upgrade problems for relics in Firelands and apparently have thrown that idea out the window with Dragon Soul.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby fuzzygeek » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:09 pm

I thought the Crystallized Firestones were brilliant. What the hell happened?
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Bastosa » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:53 pm

Everyone seems pretty down on the trinket. Could someone explain to me why that is? Are we expected to be able to have full CTC without any mastery trinkets?

Maybe I'm just unlucky since Beth never dropped the 391 Spindle for me and I'm stuck with the 378 version... but assuming that we have to run with one mastery trinket, seems like a pretty nice piece.
Bastosa

Postby fuzzygeek » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:09 pm

If you don't have better it's decent; while the on-use isn't *completely* wasted (assuming you have full CTC), it is, at best, inefficient, since it's basically pushing mastery on which you've allocated itemization points off into the wasted itemization zone.

There are several people planning on using this trinket -- it's still good. I'm just disgusted by the trinket design this tier :D

Also, I could go dual stam trinkets now (shudder) and maintain CTC with reforging and regemming (JC/BS is imba). Shit's crazy, yo.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby degre » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:09 am

I'm planning on going relic, neck, cape, with the relic bought already.

I usually advocate best improvement first, but is fairly pointless looking at the weightings or what you have to upgrade without considering, as fuzzy pointed out, that some bits have no alternative and are BiS.

Any upgrade that is not the relic will force you to wait the second week, also, any upgrade that is not relic, neck or cape could be a potential waste of VP in case an alternative drops.

The best option to me then is relic and either cape or neck as will give you 2 BiS items in the first two weeks, and I'll probably go for the neck as I'm a cheap bastard and I'll delay spending in enchants and gems.
On EU-Kadghar: Degre | Beldegre | Degrotto | Koshien
degre

Postby Skye1013 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:11 am

degre wrote:I'll probably go for the neck as I'm a cheap bastard and I'll delay spending in enchants and gems.

From a cost standpoint, that's smart, since it'll give the markets more time to stabilize from the post-patch craziness.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby degre » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:23 am

Not only that, I might even get lucky dropping an epic gem which could fit, and waiting for the fourth week will give me more opportunities to get one to shove in right away instead of spending money for a rare and then upgrade it, and surely I will be willing to use it for the back as being BiS there's no questioning the utility.
degre

Postby Awyndel » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:37 am

Prolly going for the haste/mastery hands myself first. I can get tier gloves in heroic.

Prolly getting the neck/relic later.

I haven't checked all items but I think the rest can be replaced fairly easy.

Remember we can get the pvp cloak for just 7 wins in arena. It's quite a bit better then most other options for ctc/stamina.
Awyndel

Postby econ21 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:55 am

With almost uniformly 378 gear, I think I will go for waist, neck, relic and cloak in that order. These seem to be the best in slot items for a non-heroic raider. I'll live in hope of getting tier pieces and other drops for the remaining slots. My upgrade order is based on prioritising mastery>avoidance>threat. At present, I am a little over block cap with two mastery trinkets but would really like to beef up my stamina (I was feeling squishy on the Zon'ozz 10N).

I may have to bring my alt out of retirement to get the two BoE pieces quicker, as, if I am unlucky with drops, VP gear is a formiddably long shopping list. I make it 17400 points or over four months to get all the possible tank gear.
econ21

Postby degre » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:05 am

Awyndel wrote:Remember we can get the pvp cloak for just 7 wins in arena. It's quite a bit better then most other options for ctc/stamina.

Not really... or at least, before I say any crap, is this the one you mean or have I missed something?

If this is the one, while is definitely easily obtainable and would provide a quick upgrade I don't see it as any better then the VP one.

If you've been raiding a bit you should be ctc capped already and mastery is not necessarily your much needed stat any longer, with pure avoidance and stamina now becoming way more interesting, also consider that while the VP one is 397, the PvP is barely a 403, so doesn't have much itemisation on top of the other and most of it is lost in resilience, this leaves you with mastery being useful and only 40% of the resilience to use.

The more stamina isn't technically true as you have 24 more stamina on the PvP but a yellow gem on the VP which you could socket with a green gem and be 6 stamina over, also, the socket itself would give you a nice extra ctc boost, with epic gems shifting the balance even more.

The extra 100 strength is negligible in terms of avoidance (0.07/0.08%) and far outweighed in terms of threat by expertise.

I don't have the time to get in too many details now and do any calculation, but on a brief observation I like more the VP one and gives me the feeling that with a mastery reofrge of expertise and a green gem could potentially give the same ctc as the other but extra threat, I have however to say that the PvP could be instead a useful replacement once the season kicks in to buy you time and a nice upgrade from your 378 while you wait for the VPs.

Disclaimer: all of the above if I've got the right cloaks :lol:
http://www.wowhead.com/compare?items=73494;77099
degre

Postby Jeremoot » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:33 am

I will be using the Valor trinket-- at least through normal mode DS. But that's because I plan on sacrificing a lot of CTC elsewhere to soft-cap expertise and cap hit. I'll also be picking up the Crit + Str on use skull for 5-mans or other gimmicky farm content.

At this stage in the game I'd rather have expertise and hit caps than another 1% avoidance after DRs. Not to mention it gives me a powerful (avoidance-wise) on-use that I can use during predictable melee burst if I see necessary.
Jeremoot

Postby fuzzygeek » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:18 pm

I'm not certain you need to use the valor trinket to preserve CTC and get hit/xp to 8/26. I'm at 4/24 right now, with two stam trinkets. After Tuesday when I pick up some badge gear (cloak, boots), that'll change a bit. Although we may still be looking for hit; all my hit is coming from rep ring, theck's ring (thanks for the loaner), and the tier gloves. Oh, and the Ryo cloak, so I guess hit will be even more constrained. The hit trinket is good for 2.67% hit, so when the excess stam is less necessary I'm honestly probably going to run that. I'm disappointed there's no upgrade to the License to Slay.

Although I guess it also depends on whether or not you are a BS/JC. I continue to be flabbergasted at how ridiculous the synergy between the two is.

Where do you plan on supplementing your hit Jere?
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Awyndel » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:42 pm

The cloak is the best option for "ctc/stamina ratio". And as long as I am not wearing 2 stamina trinkets and gemming/flasking full stamina I will be looking for more of that. After that point I will prolly get the valor cloak to get more avoidance/dps.

But for the moment it's a very nice upgrade, considering it's free. I am just suggesting that ppl could get the pvp cloak and therefor delay the valor purchase untill they have the other items.

I realise it has no avoidance/threat stats. So your milage may vary depending on your own setup/preference. I am merely stating the numbers I use.

You cannot reforge resilience btw, but the 6 ilvl's are somewhat compensating.
Awyndel

Postby Jeremoot » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:16 pm

fuzzygeek wrote:Where do you plan on supplementing your hit Jere?

My guild has decided they're not interested in going back for H FL so the Rhyolith cape is out of question for me. Here's my proposed plan for 4PC Prot, Full CTC, Exp Soft-cap, and Hit cap while constrained to DS Normals:

Head: Faceguard of Radiant Glory (DodgeRating -> HitRating)
Source - Vendors (Vendor)
Enchant - Arcanum of the Earthen Ring
Gems - Eternal Shadowspirit Diamond (Meta Socket), Puissant Elven Peridot (Yellow Socket)

Neck: Guardspike Choker (DodgeRating -> ExpertiseRating)

Shoulder: Backbreaker Spaulders (CritRating -> HitRating)
Source - Greater Cache of the Aspects (Drop; Dragon Soul 25 Normal)
Enchant - Greater Inscription of Unbreakable Quartz
Gems - Puissant Elven Peridot (Red Socket), Solid Deepholm Iolite (Red Socket)

Back: Indefatigable Greatcloak (ParryRating -> MasteryRating)
Enchant - Enchant Cloak - Protection
Gems - Puissant Elven Peridot (Yellow Socket)

Chest: Chestguard of Radiant Glory (ParryRating -> HitRating)
Enchant - Enchant Chest - Greater Stamina
Gems - Solid Deepholm Iolite (Red Socket), Puissant Elven Peridot (Yellow Socket), Solid Deepholm Iolite (Blue Socket)

Wrist: Titanguard Wristplates (ParryRating -> HitRating)
Source - Titanguard Wristplates (Crafted; Blacksmithing)
Enchant - Enchant Bracer - Superior Dodge
Gems - Puissant Elven Peridot (Yellow Socket), Puissant Elven Peridot (Yellow Socket)

Hands: Handguards of Radiant Glory (DodgeRating -> MasteryRating)
Enchant - Enchant Gloves - Greater Mastery

Waist: Runescriven Demon Collar (HasteRating -> ExpertiseRating)
Source - Hagara the Stormbinder (Drop; Dragon Soul)
Extra Socket - Yes
Gems - Puissant Elven Peridot (Red Socket), Puissant Elven Peridot (Red Socket), Puissant Elven Peridot (Prismatic Socket)

Legs: Legguards of Radiant Glory (ParryRating -> MasteryRating)
Enchant - Drakehide Leg Armor
Gems - Puissant Elven Peridot (Red Socket), Puissant Elven Peridot (Yellow Socket), Puissant Elven Peridot (Blue Socket)

Feet: Stillheart Warboots (ParryRating -> HitRating)
Source - Lesser Cache of the Aspects (Drop)
Enchant - Enchant Boots - Mastery
Gems - Puissant Elven Peridot (Red Socket), Solid Chimera's Eye (Blue Socket)

Finger: Ring of Torn Flesh (CritRating -> HitRating)

Finger: Hardheart Ring (ParryRating -> HitRating)
Source - Boss Drop (Drop; Dragon Soul)
Gems - Solid Chimera's Eye (Blue Socket)

Trinket: Fire of the Deep

Trinket: Indomitable Pride
Source - Boss Drop (Drop; Dragon Soul)

Main Hand: Hand of Morchok (CritRating -> HitRating)
Source - Morchok (Drop; Dragon Soul)
Enchant - Enchant Weapon - Windwalk
Gems - Puissant Elven Peridot (Red Socket)

Off Hand: Blackhorn's Mighty Bulwark (DodgeRating -> HitRating)
Source - Warmaster Blackhorn (Drop)
Enchant - Enchant Shield - Mastery
Gems - Puissant Elven Peridot (Yellow Socket), Solid Chimera's Eye (Blue Socket)

Relic: Stoutheart Talisman (ParryRating -> HitRating)
Gems - Puissant Elven Peridot (Prismatic Socket)

Raid buffed results:
    Health 237773.64
    Armor 42920.45
    CTC 102.60 %
    Physical Hit 8.02 %
    Expertise 4.82 %

Glyphed Seal expertise isn't added yet in those numbers.
Jeremoot

PreviousNext

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice