Souldrinker vs. Hand of Morchok

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Re: Souldrinker vs. Hand of Morchok

Postby Hokahey » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:30 am

Treck wrote:Well, actually i just said that it might be more usefull for dpsers.

I believe it is BiS for Frost DW, and I'm willing to bet probably BiS for SMF Warriors, as well. However, I think it is more beneficial going to a Paladin or Warrior tank first. Its unlikely 1 of those specs, even while wielding 2 of them, is going to substantially outperform an appropriate 2h spec wielding the equivalent 2h weapon to justify delaying the tank's gear progression. That's just my opinion, though.
Hokahey

Postby Jeremoot » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:51 am

The mace off of Ultraxion is a fairly nice alternative too. It's agility, but it makes up for it with the large amount of expertise.

I'll end up going with that if only because I'll be passing the Morchoks to our Frost DK.

That is, until I get a Souldrinker.
Jeremoot

Postby Ocin » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:14 pm

I'm actually worried about taking this from my Frost DK. He's saying the numbers are a ton higher for Souldrinker vs. Morchok, but I didn't get a chance to ask him where he was seeing the math. We also have a single-minded Fury Warrior, so that would be 4 going out to DPS before it hit the two tanks that would need them.
Ocin

Postby Lieris » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:24 pm

If you're having issues with enrage timers then definitely give the first one to the frost DK. It's a great weapon for us but a weapon upgrade doesn't make or break us like it does for DPS.

Don't pass for the warrior though, unlike the frost DK they have other options.
Lieris
Maintankadonor

Postby djlar » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:16 am

Warriors can roll need on LFR on Souldrinker and get a bonus.. that's completely bullcrap..

Too bad is marked for both tank and DPS as bonus roll, on normal raid it will go to the tank no questions asked, and after the 2 tanks have it, maybe to the frost DK..

It's sad how many weapons and even some other gear is marked as DPS, say a ring with hit/expertise + mastery = DPS only item.. they went all out in marking all weapons useful for tank/dps and get bonus but not the way around..
djlar

Postby Hrobertgar » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:34 am

The CTC is easy to make up with VP items. The Relic is Mastery heavy, and there is a Mastery trinket. I have consistently lost LFR Souldrinkers to DKs :( but I will keep farming for it, it will probably be a few weeks before my tank gets a Normal Mode Madness kill, given that raid tends to be only 3 or so hours once per week. but my tank only ahs a 378 weapon, so even the LFR Souldinker would be nice if I could get it.

The first time I lost it to a 'frost' DK, I was pissed. I mean sure the proc can do extra dmg for a dps, but the heal is frequently going to be wasted for them outside of AOE environments.

At the end of the day though, I'm more annoyed at how things are coded than by how people role. That DKs can get a role bonus on Agi items is especially annoying. I role on anything and everything I think is an upgrade. And actually, in LFR on my mage, this one DK won both Tier helms (I rolled on both too), so I whispered him if he didn't need both if I could have one, and he Traded it to me :)
Never Pug a random Troll Heroic, always wait for the guild group.

Hrobearina - 85 Healer - space goat
Hrobertgar - 85 Tank - human
Hrobernia - 85 Arcane - human
Hrobanka - 85 BM - elf
Hrobertgar

Postby JoeBravo » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:16 am

Hrobertgar wrote: I mean sure the proc can do extra dmg for a dps, but the heal is frequently going to be wasted for them outside of AOE environments.

I'd say the 5 to 8k heal the souldrinker gives, can be regarded as 'noise' or more healers overheal for both tank and dps.
JoeBravo / Joerojin / Ekibiogami / Cloverleaf / Yodin / Flidhais / Kuanti@ The Khalasar - Dragonblight EU
JoeBravo

Postby Ocin » Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:41 pm

djlar wrote:Warriors can roll need on LFR on Souldrinker and get a bonus.. that's completely bullcrap..

There's a lot of single-minded fury warriors that can use them, so that's not too bad.

I ran a LFR with no DKs and a greedy ret/holy pally needed on it...I've taken to not expecting loot at all with this broken system.
Ocin

Postby Treck » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:53 am

Like i said before, i observed souldrinker dmg to stand for about 3% dmg done (this was for multiple warriors)
Seems like we have the explanation for seeing 5-6%dmg on parses for paladins, with seal of truth also proccing it, giving you twice the ammount of chances it could procc with.
Treck

Postby Zobel » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:27 am

Treck wrote:Seems like we have the explanation for seeing 5-6%dmg on parses for paladins, with seal of truth also proccing it, giving you twice the ammount of chances it could procc with.

And that was just nerfed:
The bug was with Seal of Truth, so Souldrinker will proc less for paladins as well.

Censure was not proccing the weapon. Seal of truth was, and this caused ret to have double the chance to proc it on melee attacks. This is what they are fixing.

No amount of latching on to the accidental use of the word censure will change that. There is a reason it was worded as "double the proc chance," because melee attack + seal was the problem. Censure triggering the weapon wouldn't even add that many procs to be an issue.

The specific bug was that paladins running Seal of Truth had two chances with every swing to trigger the proc with Gurthalak or Souldrinker. They now have one chance.

http://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/2153 ... than-dwtr/
Last edited by Zobel on Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zobel

Postby Treck » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:02 am

And that was EXACTLY the point.
Treck

Postby Valour » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:33 pm

Treck wrote:And that was EXACTLY the point.

Considering the fix for Paladins using Souldrinker, thoughts then on the Normal Souldrinker vs. Heroic Hand of Morchok?

Can one really be said to be definitively better than the other? Or is it more based on what fight you're on?

I've got the normal Souldrinker and I've been passing on heroic Hands because I thought they were slightly worse, lol.
Heroic Boss Kill Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/ValourWoW
Valour

Postby Treck » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:15 pm

Normal Souldrinker would still outperform heroic hand of morchok in terms of damage, would be good if someone could support that with math.
Hand of morchok would just more mastery and stamina.
Treck

Postby theckhd » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:25 pm

I have sims showing LFR souldrinker ahead of pretty much every other potential tanking weapon in DPS, but that was using the old bugged implementation. I'm hoping to update the sims tonight or tomorrow with the hotfixed version, but suffice to say Souldrinker should remain the stronger option for DPS. The only thing that comes close, iirc, is No'kaled (another proc weapon).
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby theckhd » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:28 am

The weapon sim is updated with the post-hotfix version of the Souldrinker proc. Like I suspected, even post-hotfix the LFR version of Souldrinker is almost as good as heroic Hand of Morchok, and Normal/Heroic Souldrinker are unmatched.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

PreviousNext

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice