Remove Advertisements

4.3 Prep.

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

4.3 Prep.

Postby Fulkzz » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:43 pm

Okay so 4.3 is around the corner and in a logical choice my guild has asked me to reroll to protection as having 1 warrior and 1 paladin tanking is better than having 2 warriors. So over the last 3 weeks I have been playing prot on the ptr and this reset tanked 6/7 hc, having tanked Rag hc the previous reset.

While the actual tanking is under control i've been spending my time researching gear options, consumables, tactics to make sure i'm ready to perform at the highest level for the new content.

My problem is a lack of practice with the theory of prot and i'm hoping that I can get some help here. I'll post my armory for convenience

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/j ... kzz/simple

What im wondering is, is there a best option to follow when preparing my gear? I'm talking about things like to go Mastery elixirs and use a health trinket or just go double mastery (obviously some fights using the TB trinket is godly and i can just grab a flask if i use it). Is there an overall majority leaning to certain gear set ups? Like Rag shoulders as the off set piece, no 4 set etc.

What food buff should I use if I run double mastery trinks and don't need the mastery food, or just regem to make it useful?

I know my gear isn't perfect but hopefully the loot gods will finally bless me with another glove token and my damn shannox belt before 4.3 hits. Is there a theoretical BiS for prot like for Ret (in a general sense, obviously like i said above swapping trinkets for resist or something like that excluded)

While I don't think I'll be flamed here as the community seems amazing I do want to point out that up until now prot has been nothing more than a way to avoid ques for dungeons to me so I'm highly behind on the more finesse areas, having spent all of 4.2 learning how to be amazing at ret, prot wasn't something to worry about at the time.

Also as a final note, gold is no issue. If rerolling proffs, stacking my bags with elixirs etc is what will give me an edge then my bags will be full with months of supplies as fast as I can get them from the AH

Thanks for reading any of this
Fulkzz

Re: 4.3 Prep.

Postby Awyndel » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:06 am

Gearing mostly resolves about the block cap/unhitable today. Most ppl pick up the 4set with head as off piece on heroic. Mastery trinket from beth has a nice proc. If you overcap second choice is the stamina one. For buffs either mastery elix+stamina scroll/resist elix, or if you overcap stamina flask. Use mastery food and just gem mast untill cap then stamina.

You suggested regemming to make the mastery buff usefull. This goes for pretty much all buffs/gear. Basicly if you want more health, then take mastery over avoidance. The more mastery you have the more health you can gem/trinket/buff.

put /cancelaura divine plea in your word of glory macro.

look up the inq pull.

The rest should be fairly easy to find on these forums.
Awyndel

Postby Baneslayer » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:59 am

You suggested regemming to make the mastery buff usefull. This goes for pretty much all buffs/gear. Basicly if you want more health, then take mastery over avoidance. The more mastery you have the more health you can gem/trinket/buff.

This right here is the corner stone of our gearing. Get to 102.4% then start stacking stamina. You want to be able to take a couple of blocked punches and or a punch or two and a few boss dots (burning wounds, rag face punch a couple of times for example)without dying. It gives healers the room they need to get you back up, without panicking. I read somewhere that surviving simply means being healable. And the ability to take a couple punches to the face without dying makes you healable!

Profession wise, and this is my opinion. Drop tailoring and pick up jewelcrafting for BS/JC. I use to be an enchanter/JC until the guild wanted to make me guild blacksmith so I power leveled my blacksmithing. I'll say this: Having three epic jewelcrafting gems and two more sockets is just amazing. For prot and ret (I off spec ret for my guild. ) I feel it is great. If you have no qualms about dropping tailoring, I suggest you pick up JC and really max out your gear.

Our rotation isn't too hard to learn. It is very similar to the ret rotation but less RNGy (it is CS-Filler-CS-filler and so on. With your RNG being an auto crit Shield Slam (which you can pretty much just accept as cool and ignore.) and a reset to your Avenger's Shield. Which again you just stick to your rotation. ) So I think you will pick it up pretty quick if you practice it enough.
Baneslayer

Postby Crimsonheart » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:27 am

anyone notice if there is a tanking weapon, other then the one off final mob in 4.3...I saw a crit mastery 1h str axe...but no other weapon.
Crimsonheart

Postby degre » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:40 am

Crimsonheart wrote:anyone notice if there is a tanking weapon, other then the one off final mob in 4.3...I saw a crit mastery 1h str axe...but no other weapon.

Souldrinker
On EU-Kadghar: Degre | Beldegre | Degrotto | Koshien
degre

Postby Zalaria » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:37 am

degre wrote:
Crimsonheart wrote:anyone notice if there is a tanking weapon, other then the one off final mob in 4.3...I saw a crit mastery 1h str axe...but no other weapon.

Souldrinker

Crimsonheart wrote:other then the one off final mob in 4.3

There doesn't seem to be one. We can use the mastery/crit axe or expertise/haste mace, but they're not really tanking weapons.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain - It's time to roll the dice
Zalaria
Maintankadonor

Postby Crimsonheart » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:20 am

So looks like we will either use a previous teir, possibly a "new heroic" for those without heroic firelands weapons, or the crit/mastery axe.
Crimsonheart

Postby Jeremoot » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:24 am

I don't know about that, that depends entirely on the proc-rate of the Souldrinker. We certainly won't need the off-stats with how easy it is to mastery-cap at this stage in the game.

At any rate, I wouldn't use a past tier weapon over the Souldrinker simply because it will provide so much more damage.
Jeremoot

Postby Zalaria » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:31 am

Yeah, when Souldrinker drops, you want it hands down. But the point is that Souldrinker drops from Madness of Deathwing, the last encounter in the expansion. For raids progressing though Demon Soul, there are no tank weapons, and you're stuck with strength dps weapons.
Zalaria
Maintankadonor

Postby degre » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:27 am

Zalaria wrote:
degre wrote:

Souldrinker

Crimsonheart wrote:other then the one off final mob in 4.3

There doesn't seem to be one. We can use the mastery/crit axe or expertise/haste mace, but they're not really tanking weapons.

Bah... I should drink my coffee before replying...

Anyway, I still don't see the problem, the LFR version is already a good upgrade if you have a 378 weapon or lower, and if by any chance you happen to have a 391 shouldn't be too difficult to have a full normal clear to go for the 403 version. It's a good weapon, drops from the last boss, so what?
degre

Postby Zobel » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:39 am

Crimsonheart wrote:So looks like we will either use a previous teir, possibly a "new heroic" for those without heroic firelands weapons, or the crit/mastery axe.

The "new heroic" weapon being the ilvl 378 mace from 5-man Well of Eternity.
Zobel

Postby Crimsonheart » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:54 pm

yuck, Yeah the souldrinker should be attainable through LFR, im just used to my drop rates on equipment :P the last week of ICC i finally got my marrowgar mace...etc etc
Crimsonheart

Postby Baneslayer » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:56 pm

Zalaria wrote:Yeah, when Souldrinker drops, you want it hands down. But the point is that Souldrinker drops from Madness of Deathwing, the last encounter in the expansion. For raids progressing though Demon Soul, there are no tank weapons, and you're stuck with strength dps weapons.

That's not necessarily a bad thing. I still am using the ol'cleaver and I have been raiding firelands since the week it came out. (Damn bad RNG) Though your DPS may get a little upset. We had a guy leave over that axe (I won the roll mind you.), and I and several other people had to explain to him how weapon damage helps me and how mastery is a tanking stat for me. He still rage quit. :(
Baneslayer

Postby Zalaria » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:34 pm

Yeah, the Cleaver is a decent weapon. Hit is nice, even if it's unnecessary. My issue is the DS choices are crit/mastery and expertise/haste. Of the two, I'd choose the crit/mastery, but crit is useless for a tank. Oh well. Maybe that's their way to get tanks into LFR.
Zalaria
Maintankadonor

Postby degre » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:31 am

Crimsonheart wrote:yuck, Yeah the souldrinker should be attainable through LFR, im just used to my drop rates on equipment :P the last week of ICC i finally got my marrowgar mace...etc etc

I feel your pain, took me months to get my Last Laugh and before that in TBC I've spent ages with the Ogri'la shield without dropping anything better, by the time I changed Sunwell was out. I think everyone of us had some similar experience at some point :D

As far as I remember LFR can be run multiple times and you get loot locked only if you loot something, hence, if the sword is marked for tanks, which I guess will be as is the only one tank weapon available that I'm aware of, it's just a 50/50 roll if it drops, and if it doesn't just run it again.
degre

Next

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice