Which trinkets do you use for which bosses and why?

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Which trinkets do you use for which bosses and why?

Postby econ21 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:46 am

I would like to gather advice from fellow tanks about trinkets to use on which boss fights. Posters keep saying trinket choice is fight specific and while I understand this in general terms, I have very limited understanding of which specific boss fights favour which trinkets.

If you have any recommendations, please post:

(1) the default pair trinkets that you use most often and why?

(2) any boss fights that you swop out trinkets for and why?

(3) your rough gear ilevel (359, 365, 378 etc) and usual raid type (10N or 25H etc)?

(4) are you block capped with your default trinkets or commonly used alternates?

I will maintain the first post and try to bring together some general advice. Please don't say "anything goes for 10N" and the like, as some of us are struggling even on easier content and even small benefits from tips are appreciated.

I will go first:

(1) default trinkets: Mirror of Broken Images and Moonwell Phial.
These Mirror is the best mastery trinket I have and the on use magic resistance is useful on many bosses. The Phial provides less stamina than Scales of Life, but I found I was not using the latter's heal effectively.

(2) I swop the Phial for Impatience of Youth to be block capped in T11 raids and Firelands trash, but am reluctant to trade 10k heath for 4% block in T12. I suspect my reluctance is misjudged.
I use Heart of Thunder for Chimaeron to provide an on-use heal in the last unhealable phase.

(3) 371 ilevel and 10N raider.

(4) not block capped with default trinkets - 0.7% short with two mastery trinkets.
Last edited by econ21 on Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
econ21

Re: Which trinkets do you use for which bosses and why?

Postby Jeremoot » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:02 am

Throngus's Finger / Vial of Stolen Memories for all normal content. Substitute Throngus's Finger with Heart of Rage for Alysrazor.
Jeremoot

Postby Nikachelle » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:12 am

Jeremoot wrote:Throngus's Finger / Vial of Stolen Memories for all normal content. Substitute Throngus's Finger with Heart of Rage for Alysrazor.

Uh... why aren't you using any mastery trinkets?
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Jeremoot » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:11 pm

Nikachelle wrote:
Jeremoot wrote:Throngus's Finger / Vial of Stolen Memories for all normal content. Substitute Throngus's Finger with Heart of Rage for Alysrazor.

Uh... why aren't you using any mastery trinkets?

T12 4pc, Throngus's Finger, and Vial all push me over CTC while providing me with an avoidance buff. Whenever there's large melee burst damage I can be block capped at will.

In my opinion, sacrificing other stats for that last few percent isn't worth it in normal modes.
Jeremoot

Postby Era » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:32 pm

1) the default pair trinkets that you use most often and why?
Spidersilk Spindle and Essence of the Eternal Flame for CTC coverage.
I have Scales of Life and Moonwell Phial lying around for stamina/avoidance, but don't use them very often.
Am usually at 200k health raid buffed, while maintaining the cap.

(2) any boss fights that you swop out trinkets for and why?
A hit-reforged version of Essence + Heart of Rage for Alysrazor (leaves me at a little above 100k DPS).
Mirror of Broken Images for Heroic Baleroc and Rhyolith.

(3) your rough gear ilevel (359, 365, 378 etc) and usual raid type (10N or 25H etc)?
380 and 10-man Heroic.

(4) are you block capped with your default trinkets or commonly used alternates?
Yes. The only fight I'm not capped in is Alysrazor.
"Ask stupid questions. Growth is fuelled by desire and innocence. Assess the answer,
not the question. Imagine learning throughout your life at the rate of an infant."
Era

Postby Treck » Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:54 pm

1) Essence of Flame + Spidersilk Spindle, best 2x mastery trinkets available basicly.

2) On Ragnaros, Baleroc and Lord Ryolith i swap Essence of Flame for the Told Barad Trinket.
On Alysrazor i use Essence of Flame and Heart of Rage.

3) 385+ Trinkets arnt going to change at all while going up to 391 for me.

4) Block capped with 2x Mastery trinkets like Essence of Flame, Spidersilk Spindle and/or Tol Barad Trinket.
Not block capped on Alysrazor, dont find it important compared to doing more dps.
In fact not really block capped on many fights anymore since im running with exp/hit capped gear pretty much everywhere these days, but beeing 4-5% off on farm content is fine, doing pretty nice damage tho.
Treck

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice