Remove Advertisements

lvl 85 threat set / and survival set ?

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

lvl 85 threat set / and survival set ?

Postby bloodelfpali » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:57 am

Hey guys what should I look for when making and maximizing these sets for doing Cata heroics and Cata raids once I hit 85 ? I keep hearing that any tanking gear that has hit/expertise is best for building a threat set and gear with mastery/dodge/parry is good for survival and damage mit ? Is the threat set even worth having now that tanks had the threat hotfix ? Thanks :)
bloodelfpali

Re: lvl 85 threat set / and survival set ?

Postby econ21 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:16 pm

Even before the boost to tank threat, the consensus was not to gear for threat - you don't need it.

However, for 5 mans, I do like to get a modest amount of hit and expertise - I shoot for 5% hit and 20 expertise, enough to be capped against L85 mobs, which I guess is most of the trash. I find things feel smoother if I am not watching my shield zing up into the air in another miss. It probably helps a little with good groups and maybe even with bad groups, when I am top of the recount damage done table.

After the boost to tank threat, I did a ZA run in which I felt I was struggling with the dps for threat. It wasn't that I lost threat - it's just my threatplates were going yellow and I felt the dps breathing down my neck. Partly it was because the PUG dps were really good - 23k was their lowest. After the fight, I realised I had forgotten to take my survival set off, so had near zero hit and only so much as expertise as I got from the glyph and whatever I could not reforge away. I guess moving from a 3xdps to a 5xdps threat buff, you still have to hit stuff to get aggro.

I've also started using my "threat set" for raid trash. But that said, it's not much of a set. I mainly just swop a trinket for licence to slay and change my bracers to the Ramkahen one's gemmed and enchanted for threat. I might tinker with one or two other things, but those two items get me most of the way to 5% hit and 20 expertise. It probably costs me about 4% block or 10k buffed hps, depending on whether I lose a mastery or stamina trinket.
econ21

Postby Solare » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:25 pm

econ21 wrote:I've also started using my "threat set" for raid trash. But that said, it's not much of a set. I mainly just swop a trinket for licence to slay and change my bracers to the Ramkahen one's gemmed and enchanted for threat. I might tinker with one or two other things, but those two items get me most of the way to 5% hit and 20 expertise. It probably costs me about 4% block or 10k buffed hps, depending on whether I lose a mastery or stamina trinket.

Basically that, except in addition to the License to Slay, I managed to nab a heroic Heart of Rage when all of the melee dps had theirs. But that's basically all you should want to do: exchange your trinkets for the best threat ones you can find, increasing your expertise and hit to their soft caps preferably (mastery trinkets, even with strength procs, aren't that much of a threat boost). The only time I change out armor sets is to use both 2-piece tier 11 and 2-piece tier 12 on Alysrazor.
Solare

Postby bloodelfpali » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:47 pm

Thank you guys great info here. Here is my alt toon how does it look im about 5000xp from lvl 81 I shut off my exp for now so I can run some more heroic lk instances.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/e ... rel/simple
bloodelfpali

Postby yappo » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:00 am

I have one threat set (actually a max dps-set) for quests and tier 1 Cata heroics (for bombing my way through them when gearing up guildies). That one really isn't a good tanking set. Cap hit and shop as much expertise as humanly possible. Only reason I don't keel over and die is that it's still ilevel 360 or so.

One BH/raid-trash/trolls -set. Around ilevel 365. Hitcapped against 87, 14 expertise ub, but otherwise primarily a tanking set. Makes life faster and less prone to wipes as I do most of this content with random groups. Primarily I want to increase my dps, not my threat.

One tanking set (with different configurations) Around ilevel 365. 0.57% hit, zero expertise, you get the picture. This is what I use when crap is serious about bashing my face in. Healers require it from me. When pulls result in wipes, so be it. It's faster regrouping from a 20 second wipe than a three minute one. People are aware tank threat is like flipping a coin during the pull. At least people do when you have done content with them on a somewhat regular basis before.
yappo

Postby bloodelfpali » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:31 pm

Thanks yappo for the help. Well just dinged 85, and now I been running quests mainly to get the rep gains from the diff factions. So I said the heck with it and ran Hoo on normal with my current gear it was a bit rough on the healers we didn't wipe but I almost died several times and noticed the healer was going oom pretty often. Also noticed the spike in damage that I was taking one sec I was full health the next I was down to about 1/4 of my hp. Can you guys take a look at my armory and let me know how it looks thanks !!

bloodelfpali

Postby yappo » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:33 am

bloodelfpali wrote:Thanks yappo for the help. Well just dinged 85, and now I been running quests mainly to get the rep gains from the diff factions. So I said the heck with it and ran Hoo on normal with my current gear it was a bit rough on the healers we didn't wipe but I almost died several times and noticed the healer was going oom pretty often. Also noticed the spike in damage that I was taking one sec I was full health the next I was down to about 1/4 of my hp. Can you guys take a look at my armory and let me know how it looks thanks !!

Enchant it. As in enchant it all. Now, anything 359 or better is worth a best in slot enchants. The gear you hope to replace within a few days or a week is still worth an enchant though. You can find a lot of 'levelling' enchants on the AH selling for a few tens of gold.

There are a few 'non-automatic' slots. Grinding TB dailies for the resistance on-use trinket and fooling around with PvP for the helmet are two examples.
yappo

Postby bloodelfpali » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:45 am

I see thanks just picked up some much needed bracers from Hoo and snagged up an earthquake trinket for a good deal on the ah.... In regards to the healers having oom issues is there anything wrong on my part or were they slacking ? lol Should I be worried about not being capped yet ?
bloodelfpali

Postby econ21 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:56 am

bloodelfpali wrote:In regards to the healers having oom issues is there anything wrong on my part or were they slacking ?

It's hard to say without seeing their gear and being there. I remember when my guild started doing Cata heroics - mana was a big issue, partly gear but mainly unfamiliarity with Cata style healing. Your own gear is just the right level for heroics, but I think Blizzard designed them so that mana would be an issue for people who did not overgear them. Just let the healer drink and check their mana bar before making pulls.

Once thing you can do to make things significantly easier for them is use cc on a lot of the early trash pulls. Even now, when I outgear them, I would use cc. An important skill for a starting tank is learning who can cc what and assigning marks. Maybe you already do this, if not, I started a thread on this in the basic training forum you might find useful. (You can't cc the larger trash in HoO, but can usually take out one or two of the normal sized ones).

lol Should I be worried about not being capped yet ?

No, focus on survival until you are in 359+ gear. After that, when you wholly outgear 5 mans, you can indulge in trying to beat the dps at their own game.
econ21

Postby Staatt » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:48 am

Do most prot pals use threat sets for troll dungeons? Even before the buff to vengeance, I found my threat to be plenty with my CTC set ever since I had to switch all of my gear to strength. I have, until recently, used double TB mastery trinkets and would use either the STR buff or wings every minute (I'm ilevel 365 geared w/ no raid drops). I also generally pull anything tricky with divine plea -> Inquisition -> wings -> exorcism. Maybe that's why I haven't had a problem. I guess going w/ a threat set could just speed things up a bit.

Interested in more views on this.
Staatt
Maintankadonor

Postby bloodelfpali » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:51 am

econ21 wrote:
bloodelfpali wrote:In regards to the healers having oom issues is there anything wrong on my part or were they slacking ?

It's hard to say without seeing their gear and being there. I remember when my guild started doing Cata heroics - mana was a big issue, partly gear but mainly unfamiliarity with Cata style healing. Your own gear is just the right level for heroics, but I think Blizzard designed them so that mana would be an issue for people who did not overgear them. Just let the healer drink and check their mana bar before making pulls.

Once thing you can do to make things significantly easier for them is use cc on a lot of the early trash pulls. Even now, when I outgear them, I would use cc. An important skill for a starting tank is learning who can cc what and assigning marks. Maybe you already do this, if not, I started a thread on this in the basic training forum you might find useful. (You can't cc the larger trash in HoO, but can usually take out one or two of the normal sized ones).

lol Should I be worried about not being capped yet ?

No, focus on survival until you are in 359+ gear. After that, when you wholly outgear 5 mans, you can indulge in trying to beat the dps at their own game.

Awesome info I will deff take a look at the cc thread you have listed. Up until now I haven't used cc much as most groups are all about pew pew that just want to obliterate everything in sight and get upset if u take a min to drink up !!! Well I enchanted my epics and my lower ilevel gear :)
bloodelfpali

Postby yappo » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:49 pm

Staatt wrote:Do most prot pals use threat sets for troll dungeons? Even before the buff to vengeance, I found my threat to be plenty with my CTC set ever since I had to switch all of my gear to strength. I have, until recently, used double TB mastery trinkets and would use either the STR buff or wings every minute (I'm ilevel 365 geared w/ no raid drops). I also generally pull anything tricky with divine plea -> Inquisition -> wings -> exorcism. Maybe that's why I haven't had a problem. I guess going w/ a threat set could just speed things up a bit.

Interested in more views on this.

I wouldn't know anything about 'most prot pals', but I personally do. I don't care much about the threat. It's either glued to me or beating up a dps who's not planning to get within range of my taunt for the duration of the dungeon. 1000% threat wouldn't change that.

I care about dps. Hiking my dps from 7 to 10k overall is 'only' 3k. When the runs are smooth, which honestly they usually are, those 3k don't matter at all. When they're not, well those 3k very often are the difference between 'impossible' and 'bloody nuicance'.

At the middle 360 range (where I am) you're so overgeared for the trolls that dropping some 8% CTC doesn't matter all that much for survivability. I still wouldn't advice gearing in a full HULK SMASH set at 365 ilevel. If I start tanking the trolls in a full retri-set at 365, then the mobs will still have me for dinner. Besides, crit and haste really doesn't give us all that much extra damage. Strength is nice, but it still pales in comparision with Vengeance.
yappo

Postby bloodelfpali » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:34 pm

Hey guys back after a few weeks my gear has upgraded quite and been using Ask mr robot for the best gear optimization. So far what can be improved by what you guys see ? I know some items still need to be enchanted and my shoulder's suck bad lol. Do you guys think im ready for any of the tier 11 raids ? How are my stats ?

bloodelfpali

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice