Remove Advertisements

Tankpoints for gearing strats

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Tankpoints for gearing strats

Postby lakhesis » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:14 am

So I came back across Tankpoints (http://www.wowace.com/addons/tank-points/) while I was searching for a quicker way to play around with my gearing numbers. Used to use it ages back, but at some point it broke or I got more laissez faire or both.

Played around a bit & was just falling back in love when I noticed that it was capping the combat table at 100%. According to the notes - "Support for combat table and correctly caps off at a total of 100%" - this appears to be deliberate. From what I see the calculator isn't artificially modifying paperdoll stats to allow for mob level (+/- mob levels makes no difference), it's just ignoring the extra 2.4% required.

Am I missing something? The author is the person behind Ratingbuster so I'd have thought he was much more familiar with this sort of thing that I am, but it looks to me like the addon has been fixed to be broken :?

If that's not the case, I'd love to know what I'm doing wrong with it. If that is the case, does anyone have a suggestion for an alternative that does basically the same job? Mr Robot is great & all, but it's a little too black-boxy for the level of customisation I'd prefer (i.e. mastery food, sub-optimal 10 man raid buff mixes, and being able to manually add/subtract numbers to see what various not-currently-in-my-bags gear/gemming/reforging swaps would do).

PS. Mods: I recognise this is halfway between a gear forum & an addon forum question, I posted it in the one I thought would get more responses ;)
When society says jump, we say pass the salt.
lakh's armory
lakhesis

Re: Tankpoints for gearing strats

Postby Digren » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:03 am

I stopped using TankPoints when it stopped being supported. At the time I was pretty happy with it, so I assume I agreed with their 100% justification, but now I'm not sure. Sorry. =(
Digren

Postby econ21 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:29 am

Have you tried RAWR? I would not rely on it for optimising your gear, but as a tool for seeing what your stats would look like with alternative gear, I've always found it extremely user-friendly.
econ21

Postby lakhesis » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:06 am

Bit of a necro, but it's directly relevant.

After getting fed up listening to me whinge incessantly, a guildmate volunteered to have a look over the addon and has made an updated version that correctly adjusts miss/dodge/parry/block caps depending on enemy level. I'd created a ticket on the tankpoints developer site and have since attached his fixed version to my ticket. It should be publicly accessible, so if anyone wants a correctly CTC capping version of tankpoints you can go to my ticket at:

http://www.wowace.com/addons/tank-point ... -is-wrong/

Or here's a direct link to the file if you'd prefer that.

All credit for the fix to Ruthenia @ Blackhand-US, hopefully it's of use to the tankpoints dev's if they're still updating the addon.
When society says jump, we say pass the salt.
lakh's armory
lakhesis

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice