Heads Up About Agility -> Dodge Conversion!

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Heads Up About Agility -> Dodge Conversion!

Postby Digren » Tue May 24, 2011 11:26 pm

Usually I don't like making duplicate posts, nor do I like speculating about PTR content.

However, in the 4.2 PTR, Blizzard has removed agility's contribution to dodge for protection paladins (and most other tank specs). Were this to go live, and assuming Blizzard doesn't plan to compensate tanks in any way, then many pieces that have been recommended as good, great, or even best-in-slot for some stages may become worthless.

Please keep this in mind as you plan your gear strategy.
Digren

Re: Heads Up About Agility -> Dodge Conversion!

Postby GlockComa » Wed May 25, 2011 9:45 am

Thanks for the heads up. I was going to pass on Heroic Ironstar Amulet last night (since I have Don Rodrigo's) but kept it just in case, since I saw ur heads up. :D
GlockComa

Postby Aerron » Wed May 25, 2011 10:12 am

Yeah, I passed on Rage of Ages last week, now I'm kicking myself. Hopefully it drops this week.
Aerron

Postby Awyndel » Mon May 30, 2011 12:20 pm

Yup seems like we need to get the nefarian neck now, cloak from alakir or back to rep cloak. Ring from conclave prolly. Make sure you have some str/mastery items rdy when the patch comes!
Awyndel

Postby Treck » Mon May 30, 2011 2:55 pm

Awyndel wrote:Yup seems like we need to get the nefarian neck now, cloak from alakir or back to rep cloak. Ring from conclave prolly. Make sure you have some str/mastery items rdy when the patch comes!

waht?
Correct me if im wrong, but doesnt the nefarian neck has agi?
Why would you wanna get thatone now?
Also, alakir drops permafrost back AND neck, pretty sure its BiS for its ilvl.
What ring are you sporting if your not using conclave ring?
Pretty sure conclave 359+badge 359 are BiS untill you get 372 conclave + sinestra ring.

And to the post even before this.
waht?
Treck

Postby Digren » Mon May 30, 2011 3:35 pm

Treck wrote:
Awyndel wrote:Yup seems like we need to get the nefarian neck now, cloak from alakir or back to rep cloak. Ring from conclave prolly. Make sure you have some str/mastery items rdy when the patch comes!

waht?
Correct me if im wrong, but doesnt the nefarian neck has agi?
Why would you wanna get thatone now?

And to the post even before this.
waht?

The "Nefarian neck" Rage of Ages has strength, not agility. And, if you recently passed on it because you had a "better" neck with agility, you might choose to kick yourself now.
Digren

Postby Awyndel » Mon May 30, 2011 6:05 pm

Rep agility ring is just fine if you dont get drops.

Just naming some options. We don't farm alakir hc.
Awyndel

Postby Treck » Tue May 31, 2011 3:48 am

My bad, i confused the nefarian neck with the one from valiona.

Awyndel wrote:Rep agility ring is just fine if you dont get drops.

Just naming some options. We don't farm alakir hc.

Maybe not, but your prolly killing conclave on normal, that ring is tons times better than the rep ring, and the valor one is pretty awesome aswell.
And like i said, alakir, normal or heroic, drops the BiS neck for its ilvl.
And if your not killing alakir on normal, but your killing nefarian, the neck from ZG is still better than the normal nefarian neck.
Also, atramedes neck is even better, even if it doesnt have mastery on it, its got so much dodge that it still comes out ahead on CTC.
Treck

Postby Digren » Tue May 31, 2011 6:34 am

Treck wrote:Also, atramedes neck is even better, even if it doesnt have mastery on it, its got so much dodge that it still comes out ahead on CTC.

You mean the Ironstar Amulet? It's awful for CTC. Remember that dodge rating is only about 36% as good for CTC as mastery rating. In such a ranking the heroic Ironstar is worse than non-heroic Rage of Ages, Buc-Zakai Choker, Necklace of Strife, Permafrost Bedrock/Rockslab, and Don Rod's (as of now). The non-heroic version is worse than non-raiding necks such as Red Sky Pendant, Baroness Silverlaine's, Lightless Grotto, Lustrous Eye, Acorn, Carrier Wave Pendant, and is worse than any other raid neck that could be called a tank piece.

Take a look at the numbers yourself in the tabular mastery/dodge table. The amount of dodge rating required to equal 1 mastery rating for CTC should be between 2.6 and 3.2 for most tanks, depending on their existing dodge percent.
Digren

Postby Awyndel » Tue May 31, 2011 5:40 pm

I use CTC/stamina ratio's, so my numbers might come out a little different.

Anyway, seriously guys, I just named some replacement options with mastery for the slots in wich ppl might be using agility items. So rings, neck and cloak. I could have mentioned weapons too I suppose, but ppl have more options there.

The agility ring is almost equal to the valor ring, or the conclave ring, in CTC and avoidance. The other choices mentioned are pretty much up to personal gearing strategy, and what you're farming atm. Just make sure you have an item ready for those slots when time comes.
Awyndel

Postby Digren » Tue May 31, 2011 7:54 pm

For neck, non-raiders drop to the Buc-Zakai choker as BiS, which costs some CTC and avoidance compared to Don's but is still purple. Cloak is no problem at all with Wrap of the Great Turtle. Ring is the biggest issue for non-raiders; while Ring of the Battle Anthem is still good for one finger, the other finger drops all the way down to the Red Rock Band. That's an iLvl decrease.

Still, by the time this matters, there will be new gear for all with the new patch. We'll survive. And it will make gearing lists much shorter.
Digren

Postby yappo » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:52 am

Somewhat on-topic.

PTR notes on MMP champ have a new leg enchant added. http://db.mmo-champion.com/i/71720/drakehide-leg-armor/

145 stamina and 55 dodge rating. Should mean a marginal upgrade even compared with the 145 stamina and 55 agility we have access to today.
yappo

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice