Elementium Dragonling vs Throgus' Finger

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Elementium Dragonling vs Throgus' Finger

Postby benebarba » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:13 am

A while back I crafted [Elementium Dragonling], and last night I had [Throgus's Finger] drop. I snagged it because I thought the proc was more useful than the elementium dragonling, despite losing a couple percent block+avoidance even after reforging the parry from [Throgus's Finger].

At the moment, I am sitting at 10.89% Dodge, 11.86% Parry, 43.41% Block unbuffed. Prior to that, I think it was about 45% block and a bit under 11% parry. But it seems like the ~12% chance to more than double my dodge bonus may be handy for some fights.

Thoughts?
benebarba

Re: Elementium Dragonling vs Throgus' Finger

Postby Digren » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:53 am

Well, avoidance and block are already luck, but these days we're calling that "averages" instead of "luck" since we have the health pools and cooldowns to make EH less important. So maybe putting some luck in your luck by relying on a chance for your chance isn't so bad.

By switching from mastery rating to the same amount of parry rating, you've increased your damage intake slightly and reduced your combat table coverage. When the new trinket procs, you won't gain double dodge (DR is going to hit that) but you will have lower damage intake than with the other trinket. You just can't control when that happens.

I had a similar decision in that I have a mastery/on use avoidance trinket that I can swap out with my dragonling. I decided to stick with the dragonling because he's pretty.
Digren

Postby benebarba » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:13 am

Digren wrote:Well, avoidance and block are already luck, but these days we're calling that "averages" instead of "luck" since we have the health pools and cooldowns to make EH less important. So maybe putting some luck in your luck by relying on a chance for your chance isn't so bad.

By switching from mastery rating to the same amount of parry rating, you've increased your damage intake slightly and reduced your combat table coverage. When the new trinket procs, you won't gain double dodge (DR is going to hit that) but you will have lower damage intake than with the other trinket. You just can't control when that happens.

I had a similar decision in that I have a mastery/on use avoidance trinket that I can swap out with my dragonling. I decided to stick with the dragonling because he's pretty.

makes sense. I generally prefer to play it safe, so I may go back to the dragonling for the extra block chance (and because it's one of the cool things only engineers get). Last night a guildie reminded me that there really isn't much reason to not bust him out during boss fights (I don't pull him out when there is trash near by because of their tendency to go off and hit that one thing you wanted to stay over there). I may run a few times with the finger just to get an idea of how much that DR boost really helps.
benebarba

Postby Digren » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:14 pm

My boss pulling strategy is:
Pop Wings
Avenger's Shield
Tazik Shocker (off global cooldown)
Judgement

at that point the boss has reached me and I can go into regular rotation, except because I used both AS and J while at range for early threat, I have a hole in the rotation a little ways in. I fill it with the Dragonling.

Although I don't consider threat important right now, I have decided to use the Shocker over the Quickflip plates because A) I already have so many cooldowns and rarely get through all of them, B) I've decided to keep AS glyphed for better control, and so C) having a fifth, off-global ranged pick up utility (counting AS, J, RD, and HoR) is very useful, and I rely on it regularly.
Digren

Postby Koatanga » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:43 pm

I've seen a proc rate on the Finger quoted at once per 60 seconds, which is 20% uptime for the dodge proc, which is about 302 dodge rating averaged out.

Keeping in mind you can reforge some of that parry to mastery, and I think the Finger is one heck of a nice trinket.

It hasn't dropped for me yet, but when it does I will be using it in place of my stam trink (Leaden Despair: http://www.wowhead.com/item=56347)

My other trinket is Porcelain Crab: http://www.wowhead.com/item=56280. It is my understanding that the procs can stack.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby fuzzygeek » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:25 pm

It was a sad day when I put my dragon in a little dark corner of a bag in my bank, but I did it a long time ago.

I personally would wear the finger (reforged for mastery) instead of the dragon for stuff that hurts. What's your other trinket?
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby benebarba » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:52 pm

fuzzygeek wrote:It was a sad day when I put my dragon in a little dark corner of a bag in my bank, but I did it a long time ago.

I personally would wear the finger (reforged for mastery) instead of the dragon for stuff that hurts. What's your other trinket?

right now I have the finger (parry reforged to mastery) and Za'brok's Lucky Tooth equipped. I have a couple others (Porcelain Crab, for example) that I haven't really swapped out to because the tooth has such nice bonuses and I was stacking mastery (so after reforging the crab wasn't as nice masterywise as the dragonling - though the proc probably would have been more useful... oops). These are all normal versions, I should add - haven't started heroics yet.
benebarba

Postby benebarba » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:00 pm

Koatanga wrote:I've seen a proc rate on the Finger quoted at once per 60 seconds, which is 20% uptime for the dodge proc, which is about 302 dodge rating averaged out.

I think that is the maximum possible proc rate, since it depends on your parry chance. But I started watching for it while doing the Tol Barad dailies and noticed it proccing somewhat regularly. Boss fights seem to be ~2-4 minutes long so I can only expect a couple of those procs.
benebarba

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice